Igor Shesterkin now Vs peak Henrik Lundqvist

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which one is/was the better one in your opinion?

• Igor Shesterkin

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Henrik Lundqvist (peak)

Votes: 78 90.7%

• Total voters

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
They're really pretty much the same. You would go into 9/10 matchups having the better goaltender so I don't see the difference. I will give Hank the edge for consistency because from the moment he stepped onto the league he was a rock for about 12 years until age caught up with him.

Reactions: mas0764

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Igor's Vezina year was as good, if not better than any single year Hank put together. But Hank had 4 or 5 years of that caliber, plus another 5 or 6 where he was elite (top 5ish) in the league. His consistent excellence in this era of goaltending (i.e., post 2005 lockout, homoginization of goaltending style and equipment) is unparalleled. It's no disrespect to Igor to say Hank is the answer here.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Really good question. leaning towards Hanks peak but some people are underestimating those 2014-2015 teams imo. I think we were better in 2014-15 than we are now regardless of stats.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Sure.. until you factor in that Hank played prime Ovi / Sid / Malkin / Letang / Karlsson pretty much nightly and every single playoff season.

Also, he never had soul crushing goal support & this stupendous pp in front of him.
There are analytics to account for this which still put Igor on top. Notice I only said statistically it’s Igor though. Just based on my eye test watching them I could see an argument either way and don’t feel strongly one way or another. I’d say the gap is at most 55/45

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Hank was so intense. I feel like they are equal goal tenders if you focus solely on their play but Hank has a certain “face of the franchise” leadership quality that no one else compares to.

Prime Hank would earn the starting position in my mind.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Both are pretty similar in that their top priority was maximizing their AAV and limiting the quality of teammates the GM could put around them
There is not a single professional sports player in the world that doesn't want to maximize the money they make while they can still play their sport homie

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
There are analytics to account for this which still put Igor on top. Notice I only said statistically it’s Igor though. Just based on my eye test watching them I could see an argument either way and don’t feel strongly one way or another. I’d say the gap is at most 55/45
I do believe Igor had a stronger team this season than Hank ever did. Best center Hank had was Stepan going toe to toe with Sid, Backstrom, Giroux, etc…

For all the complaints about Zibanejad, he’s far and away the best center since 11 and 99.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's hard to picture it ever being Igor for me. Henrik was a man on an island. He changed the entire perception of what this Franchise is, erasing a decade of some of the most pathetic management / culture / mediocrity that this sport has ever seen.

I think Hank's counting stats would probably be even better than Igor's had he been a 55-60 game reg season goalie like Igor has been. It's ridiculous to remember he played at least 70 games for 4 straight years at the beginning of his career. Hank's body of work is so huge I think there's almost been an over-correction, and people look at the stats and try to say he wasn't what those of us who watched every game knew he was.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There is not a single professional sports player in the world that doesn't want to maximize the money they make while they can still play their sport homie

Every single professional sports player who chosen to sign a fair dollar contract in a high tax state has chosen not to maximize the money they can make.

And every player who has chosen to negotiate a NTC/NMC into their contract as well.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Igor is great in his own way. But Lundqvist is a legend. It's going to be a long time before anyone reaches Henke's Rangers records.

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
Hank played so many games early in his career, it’s a bit wild how many games he started and yet didn’t get hurt.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Peak hence was absolutely insane. I think if given the choice I take henke. He played more and he was more consistent. At their best henke and Igor are both incredible, but henke had an insane consistency to his game and he was so incredibly durable.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Igor’s Vezina season is not far off from Hank’s peak. Hank’s longevity is half of what makes him a legend and Igor is obviously not there yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad