Iginla vs Demidov

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
They share the same philosophy, if Gorton spoke French he’d be in charge.

Time will tell with Demidov but in Ottawa the analyst said they heard he had an attitude and not in a good way - and passing an Iginla for any Russian to me is dumb. This idea that Montrealnis going to build around euros who’ll like the culture in Montral won’t work - they always won with Canadien and Quebec players - as an Ottawa fan I was happy to see them draft Demidov and pas on Iginla
Can’t pass on 2 Russians with bad attitudes in consecutive years, it’s against the law

Hopefully habs drafted the lesser brat of the 2

Reactions: Tuna99

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
I find it interesting that when it comes to the best available forward after Celebrini, the consensus seems to be that it's Demidov.

And yet I've yet to see a single person successfully argue that he's better than Iginla.

Perhaps Demidov has better hands than Iginla, but Iginla's hands are so good that it's hardly an advantage in Demidov's favor.

Everything else, Iginla is better at. He's a vastly superior scorer, he's more physical, he plays with more pro-like tendencies, he's more refined, better skater, his rate of improvement was staggeringly higher than Demidov throughout the season, and he's close to a full year younger.

Iginla is being groomed as a center next season and teams are now projecting him to play as one in the NHL, a position of higher value than wing.

Iginla is also doing all of this against vastly superior competition in the WHL.

Is this simply a case of the media getting locked into the placement of a player early in the season, and then refusing to budge once the evidence is against it? It's happened before.
A lot of subjective opinions is what I'm seeing. Cold hard facts is McKenzie rankings of actual scout which is not even one month old that has Demidov 2nd and production which still favours Demidov even when you factor the league's strength(WHL is nothing special at this point btw)

Time will tell with Demidov but in Ottawa the analyst said they heard he had an attitude and not in a good way - and passing an Iginla for any Russian to me is dumb. This idea that Montrealnis going to build around euros who’ll like the culture in Montral won’t work - they always won with Canadien and Quebec players - as an Ottawa fan I was happy to see them draft Demidov and pas on Iginla
Nobody cares what your cousin in Ottawa is saying

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Funny because everyone in Montreal said that the reason they were so high on Demidvo was because of his positive attitude. Could you link me to the article of that "analyst" you're referring to?

As an Ottawa fan, you should consider trading Stutzle since he's European and apparently you don't win with those players. As for the bolded, so did we in Montreal.

Alfredsson to Karlsson, now stutzle is their main piece. I don't know how that guy still supports a team that keeps building around those nasty euros

Reactions: David Suzuki

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He probably could play C in the NHL, but more of a 2C role, vs a 1C. He'd be a 1st line winger. Plus he brings the size element.

If you were a Buffalo, you'd probably take Iggy just because of the number of smaller skilled players they have up front. They would need the size. But, of the teams at the top, they need the skill.

Iginla - 6'0, 192 lbs

eliteprospects.com/player/679717/tij-iginla

Demidov - 6'0, 192 lbs

eliteprospects.com/player/619202/ivan-demidov

Seeing the huge difference makes me wish we took iggy for the extra size up front...

• Haha
Reactions: Rob Sense

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Iginla - 6'0, 192 lbs

eliteprospects.com/player/679717/tij-iginla

Demidov - 6'0, 192 lbs

eliteprospects.com/player/619202/ivan-demidov

Seeing the huge difference makes me wish we took iggy for the extra size up front...
Iginla is also still only 17 and a full 8 months younger than Demidov, he could still grow like Ivan did last year

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We will find out soon enough. The top 10 of every draft is as big as a crap shoot as anywhere any draft.

We can go back to the 2000 draft, and look at every nhl player drafted in the top 10, 20% will bust.

Top 10 has a 20 % chance at busting.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Iginla's stickhandling is some of the best in the draft.

While it's not Demidov level, I don't see how Demidov being a little bit better as a stickhandler, and worse at everything else, suddenly gives him a ceiling that's much higher.

That's the part I'm not understanding.
I like Iginla a lot and would have been just as happy if we drafted him, as he has a lot on intangibles. However, Demidov skill set in pretty much every category is better than Iginla. BUT IGINLA may become the better all around player down the road. Nobody knows yet...

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

This is a crock and should be removed for trolling until you show an ounce of proof or any real claims Demidov has attitude issues. You MUST be confused and thinking Michkov. Demidov by all accounts has a great attitude and great personality.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad