If you have 30,000 dollars Al the Octopus from Joe Louis Arena can be yours!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
giphy.gif

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Judging by the responses there are:

1. A lot of people in here completely ignorant to Detroit hockey history and the octopus and Al's place in it...

2. A lot of people in here completely ignorant to the fact that there are people who exist in the world with what's called "f*** you money", who would pay an absurd amount for stupid sports memorabilia.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Whoever signs this guy is going to regret it big time when his game falls off in a few years. Players like him do not age well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

1. A lot of people in here completely ignorant to Detroit hockey history and the octopus and Al's place in it...

2. A lot of people in here completely ignorant to the fact that there are people who exist in the world with what's called "f*** you money", who would pay an absurd amount for stupid sports memorabilia.
You missed the actual point: how is the squid better than the conventional memorabilia from that era. Unless you want to point out, that particular group or people is interested stupid sports memorabilia only.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
You missed the actual point: how is the squid better than the conventional memorabilia from that era. Unless you want to point out, that particular group or people is interested stupid sports memorabilia only.
Because it's a unique item that's a part of the team's history. Lots of people have signed Lidstrom/Yzerman/Datsyuk Jerseys, nobody else has this.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014

@FriendlyGhost92 nailed it on both counts. Speaking as someone who does collect Red Wings sports memorabilia, it's a one of a kind item. Like I got a lot of sticks and a few autographed jersey's, but this thing is more unique than even things like my Yzerman 60th goal stick from 1989.

1721252317934.png

Al Sobotka is absolutely beloved to many Wings fans from that era, and Al the Octopus was an icon for when the team in its most recent glory eras, and we are at the perfect 25ish year mark for nostalgia.

As for the price, well yes, it's a giant plastic octopus that probably cost like a few hundred bucks to make. In the grand scheme of things it is ridiculously stupid to spend on this (amongst a whole host of things people spend way too much money on...).

In fact, take a look at the hockey cards topics on HF and how much people spend on these cards (not that I mind, I made out like a bandit selling my Gretzky OPC rookie card amongst other "rare" pieces of cardboard all creased up and all during the covid boom thanks SUCKERS lol)

But the price isn't the biggest issue (it's really not that much in terms of sports memorabilia, again take a look at how much some cards go for, far less material costs involved there). It's the space it would take up and the impracticality of it all in most houses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
@FriendlyGhost92 nailed it on both counts. Speaking as someone who does collect Red Wings sports memorabilia, it's a one of a kind item. Like I got a lot of sticks and a few autographed jersey's, but this thing is more unique than even things like my Yzerman 60th goal stick from 1989.

View attachment 895559

Al Sobotka is absolutely beloved to many Wings fans from that era, and Al the Octopus was an icon for when the team in its most recent glory eras, and we are at the perfect 25ish year mark for nostalgia.

As for the price, well yes, it's a giant plastic octopus that probably cost like a few hundred bucks to make. In the grand scheme of things it is ridiculously stupid to spend on this (amongst a whole host of things people spend way too much money on...).

In fact, take a look at the hockey cards topics on HF and how much people spend on these cards (not that I mind, I made out like a bandit selling my Gretzky OPC rookie card amongst other "rare" pieces of cardboard all creased up and all during the covid boom thanks SUCKERS lol)

But the price isn't the biggest issue (it's really not that much in terms of sports memorabilia, again take a look at how much some cards go for, far less material costs involved there). It's the space it would take up and the impracticality of it all in most houses.

Detroit is one of the great American cities historically and still does have incredibly wealthy suburbs even if they've also declined from a materialistic wealth standpoint in the past 30 years. I can assure you that as someone who lives in one of more gilded areas in terms of housing prices, I'd love to move back to Detroit, this place is complete garbage compared to it
Interesting spot for the fuel door next to the trunk lid, what kind of car is that? The lines look vaguely European but if you’re a Detroit superfan I figure it’s gotta be American. Maybe a Buick?

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Interesting spot for the fuel door next to the trunk lid, what kind of car is that? The lines look vaguely European but if you’re a Detroit superfan I figure it’s gotta be American. Maybe a Buick?

It's a Jag Vanden Plas with the Princess Diana trim lol, it was the British designed XJ40 from the early/mid 80s but the final 1994 model year which is after Ford bought them and bought in a few Ford parts for reliability (not like Ford was any good back then but relatively speaking compared to Jaguar) so it's kinda legit lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad