If the Leafs lose to the Habs, do they take the choke king crown from the early 2000's Senators?

Is Toronto going to be the new choke masters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t even think it matters what happens in game 7. Montreal is a team that likely doesn’t make the playoffs in pre covid divisions. Not to take away fir their effort, but the fact that the series looks like it dies says a lot more about the leafs core than it does the habs core.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Exactly what I was thinking. Weren't the Sens 3 times out of 4 the lower seed in these series vs Toronto?

Early 2000's Sens was nothing to the Sharks, and even the Caps.

Took out Philly a few times too.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t even think it matters what happens in game 7. Montreal is a team that likely doesn’t make the playoffs in pre covid divisions. Not to take away fir their effort, but the fact that the series looks like it dies says a lot more about the leafs core than it does the habs core.

I will agree to an extent. Habs have been pretty bad but Carey Price has been all-world. A goalie can make all the difference.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I will agree to an extent. Habs have been pretty bad but Carey Price has been all-world. A goalie can make all the difference.
He sure has, but by the same token, at minimum it can be argued that Campbell has been the best/most consistent leaf player all series at the other end himself. There more than just goaltending going on here.

Reactions: Voight and bh53

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If the Leafs win nobody will remember the details of the series within few weeks. Different story if the Habs get the formal upset.

Nobody ever remembers the details of a playoff series the next year other than who won or lost (the exception being a sweep like what happened to the Bolts in 2019)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He sure has, but by the same token, at minimum it can be argued that Campbell has been the best/most consistent leaf player all series at the other end himself. There more than just goaltending going on here.

Its a strange series. Habs D has been god awful. Its absolutely shocking that this is going to game 7. And in game 7 with Carey Price...

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If the Leafs win nobody will remember the details of the series within few weeks. Different story if the Habs get the formal upset.

Nobody ever remembers the details of a playoff series the next year other than who won or lost (the exception being a sweep like what happened to the Bolts in 2019)
I’m saying that regardless of what happens in game 7, five, six years in, it’s clear this leafs core the way it stands will not win the big one. Feel free to keep believing in them if you’d like. And I’m sure that belief would be bolstered by game 7 win, but a true contender would’ve finished Montreal in 5 games, tops.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
The real window of Ottawa was 2000 to 2007, made the ECF once, the SCF once and got robbed from maybe their best chance by a lockout in 2004-05

They won 7 playoffs rounds in those 6 years. They choked in a very different fashion than the Leafs have been

They were also robbed with the Hasek injury drama. He plays in the playoffs of 2006 and the Sens win a cup.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m saying that regardless of what happens in game 7, five, six years in, it’s clear this leafs core the way it stands will not win the big one. Feel free to keep believing in them if you’d like. And I’m sure that belief would be bolstered by game 7 win, but a true contender would’ve finished Montreal in 5 games, tops.

Well that's a fairly absurd position to take; there are countless examples of contenders taking more than 5 games to best a weaker opponent during the playoffs

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Speaking of the early 2000s Senators, Jason Spezza has more goals in this series than Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Hyman combined.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well that's a fairly absurd position to take; there are countless examples of contenders taking more than 5 games to best a weaker opponent during the playoffs
I’m talking specifically about the leafs and what’s happened to them and their core since they’ve made the playoffs. It’s an acceptable argument to say it was tough luck Boston and Washington at first, but if you look at the viste/star players production in the elimination games there, same story.

Since then, they got smoked by a team who last year who wasn’t really a playoff team, and are struggling with a team that wouldn’t sniff the playoffs in pre covid divisions this season. This isn’t just a contender not taking out a weak team in 5, this is year after year of your core producing far below their standards and abilities when the games count.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Marner has 0 goals in his last 17 playoff games.

Matthews has 3 in his last 12.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Speaking of the early 2000s Senators, Jason Spezza has more goals in this series than Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Hyman combined.

giphy.gif

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ottawa? Were they ever even seen as chokers? That seems random.

San Jose would have been the better choice. Or Caps. Or others

I agree, Price has been spectacular. But to the bolded - of course it matters who wins lol. It's all about winning. If Leafs win - they are favorites in round 2. And can still go very far. No need to be melodramatic. Winning is winning.

Here's a fun stat. In the past 20 years - when a team coming off a sweep faces a team coming off a 7 game series - the team who just finished the 7 game series wins every time.

That being said - I think Habs will win :thumbu:

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
They've had this title for some time now

Reminder: the Leafs haven't won a series since 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad