IF the Leafs do not win the SC this year or next. Does Matthews want out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Matthews (imo) loves playing in TO. He’s a peacock. He loves the attention. The club is really good. No way he wants out.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
You can't compare the two.

McDavid has played at the level of a Mt. Rushmore top 5 of all time player in the playoffs who has been held down by roster construction.

Matthews' goalscoring drops off a cliff in the playoffs, 99% of which is in the first round. He's as much to blame as the team around him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's got a dawg in him, but it's more like one of those annoyingly yappy chihuahuas that you know you could punt to the moon. Or a timid labrador that's scared of its own shadow.

I wanted to like this post until the bolded. The Leafs are not a better team at all. They're a bunch of bitchass bitches until proven otherwise
Thats fair, I just think if any of the boston teams we faced (2013, 2018, 2019, amd now 2024) this is the weakest one with least amount of physical play and offensive talent

Its sad we have to wait until most of their elite players are retired but this is a MUST WIN series.

Leafs are slight favorites coming into the series. I dont want people to pretend we are/were the underdogs if we lose and try to pretend the core guys get another excuse.

They have to shut up and deliver

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't think he wants out, but probably wants to improve the Leafs.

I get that the team has underperformed in playoffs as a whole, but Leafs are a perennial playoff team and changing to a better team is not that easy. Where would he even go?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I get that the team has underperformed in playoffs as a whole, but Leafs are a perennial playoff team and changing to a better team is not that easy. Where would he even go?
I actually think the package the leafs get for matthews would make the leafs actual contenders

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I actually think the package the leafs get for matthews would make the leafs actual contenders

Might be, they still would need a good #1C. But what team can do that trade and also improve cause I don't see Matthews wanting to go to a bubble team or a lottery team.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
No, he signed an extension and their window is going to re-open in 2 years. These next 2 years are wasted in my opinion. 5M dead cap in Brodie, 11M dead cap in Tavares and Marner being Marner.

Once the 16M from Brodie/JT expires, they'll be able to address the major holes on the roster (D + G) and then if done right, the window will open again. There was a small window during the ELC years.

Mar 26, 2010
The Leafs are not winning the Cup, that is pretty obvious lol.

Highly Doubt that Matthews asks for a trade as his new contract has not even kicked in yet.

Jun 25, 2021
I think people generally overestimate where winning a Cup sits on most of these guys priority list.

Reactions: Dieseloil

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
He would have gone to FA if he wanted out. He's not going sign and then request a trade.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No, imo.

He seems like a guy that wants the spotlight of the biggest hockey market even more than he wants to win.

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
Matthews joined the NHL a season after McDavid and both players have not had that much success in the playoffs and at the end of the day that will be how the players are judged. You gotta think if McDavid wants out of Edmonton due to lack of playoff success, Matthews can not be that far behind
McDavid and Matthews should just say F it and team up somewhere for a year

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
He does not seem to have that burning desire to win a team championship, he is happy scoring goals and having fun, much like Kessel was. I do not think he even entertained moving to another team to win.
Always love when casual fans can peer into the mind of any professional athlete, much less one of the best ones playing in the toughest market in hockey. It's nice knowing we fans can relate to them on that level.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Not badly enough to take any, and I mean any kind of a discount in salary

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
1713723054094.png

IF they lose, that's not good.lol It'd be worth at least considering trading one of the big boys for a equivalent Dman makign equivalent money.

FTR.. not Matthews fault. Amazing player. Poor roster construction is not the star players fault.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I could see him going to whoever is left in management and demanding they do what needs to be done to make the team playoff capable with him as a member of it.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Top heavy team, bad contract injuries, no shut down system, no goaltending, no support players. 1 guy ain't the Leafs problem.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
He's got a dawg in him, but it's more like one of those annoyingly yappy chihuahuas that you know you could punt to the moon. Or a timid labrador that's scared of its own shadow.
A Labrahuahua?

He is, after all, a Mexican through his mother.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad