If the Hockey Hall of Fame was to let in a goon, who would be the most deserving candidate?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
The rules of the HHOF - the criteria set forth - really disqualify goons, so there's really no chance of this happening.

The main criterion is playing ability.

You've got the dirty guys who can play.

You've got the guys who can fight, who can play.

But guys who can't play are out of luck.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Isn't there a clear distinction between goon and enforcer? Goon I think of someone like Trevor Gillies or Link Gaetz, whereas an enforcer is supposed to be more involved in actual hockey related things.
Link Gaetz was actually pretty good at hockey, definitely pro quality even without fighting. Not really in the same basket with Gillies & co. even if he was as wild as anyone.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Zdeno Chara, Emile Bouchard, and sortof goons who could enforce at times like Serge Savard and Brandon Shanahan.
-- Chara will obviously be in the Hall in about 1 year
-- Bouchard is already in the Hall
-- Savard is already in the Hall
-- Shanahan is already in the Hall
Can you imagine the outrage of someone like Tom Wilson got in?
The highlight videos shown at the ceremony would be more then todays world could handle.
Not sure about that -- did you see the Chris Chelios number-retirement video in Chicago? Was awesome.

The problem, of course, with this topic is that there are dozens and dozens of players who straddle the line between "aggressive good player" and "enforcer / goon".

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Isn't there a clear distinction between goon and enforcer? Goon I think of someone like Trevor Gillies or Link Gaetz, whereas an enforcer is supposed to be more involved in actual hockey related things.
I never cared for the "Missing Link". Definitely a goon. He was banned from TWO minor leagues IIRC.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If you're looking for the best at being a goon? probably Probert

If you're looking for the goon who was the best at hockey? Terry O'Reilly
Gillies was better than O’Reilly at playing and fighting. But he’s not usually considered a goon. Same with Ferguson.

Probert is the answer but he could play as well.

For goons who weren’t great players I’d induct Dave Brown.

Or, if you’re looking for pretty much the craziest dude on and off the ice, go with Steve Durbano.
Goldie Goldthorpe was also pretty out there from what I’ve heard.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
There's some confusion among guys who are power forwards vs enforcers vs goons.

Guys like Shanahan, Tocchet, Gillies, Neely, O'Reilly were good fighters but they had more value on the ice than in the penalty box.

Enforcers would be Probert, McSorley, Kocur, Simon, guys who could take a regular shift, were there to keep the flies off primarily but could contribute other than just fighting.

And then obviously goons are just there to fight. Not really NHL level players and might play 3 minutes if they're lucky. Worrell, T. Gillies, McGrattan, Scott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad