News: If Shea Weber retires at the end of the 2025/26 season Nashville will suffer a $24.57M cap hit.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
They'll have to trade for Weber to buy him out. Montreal with a lot of leverage.

WfL7BJH.png

thats what i'm saying.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
This is like a doomsday scenario for Nashville! Not happening and we are not going to die!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yes, that's all he had to do. :rolleyes: As someone with a Pens avatar I'd think you'd understand the situation considering we were in the same situation coming out of the lockout.

Point being this is not news. Poile knows what is going on. This is a splashy headline but the Preds know this.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
That's nonsense. Even if I hated the Habs (I don't) I wouldn't wish that on them. There has to be some reasonable way to resolve this.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Also, the amortization of the cap penalty makes zero sense. If a team signs a player to an obscene contract length, and said player plays most of that length, it shouldn't be a higher penalty. It should be similar to a buyout where the more remaining years nullified, the larger the penalty. More term on the penalty is actually preferable to eating a one-year cap penalty, it's ridiculous.

Reactions: Name Nameless

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
The new cba would probably have a retro on contracts and figure a way to not screw the original team. Or 2 buyouts and only on players over 35

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Also, the amortization of the cap penalty makes zero sense. If a team signs a player to an obscene contract length, and said player plays most of that length, it shouldn't be a higher penalty. It should be similar to a buyout where the more remaining years nullified, the larger the penalty.

Isn't a cap penalty higher than the league max salary weird?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yes, the choice was between matching and not matching the cap evading contract. Now they are on the hook for the fair and proportional punishment of...uh, $24 million

Not likely. It's in the best interest of neither the PA nor the league at this point to actually enforce such an extreme penalty when it wasn't Nashville's choice to structure the contract as it was and they had no idea that the recapture penalty would be as it was. It wasn't their intention to sign Weber to such a contract. It was Philly's intention in a predatory way to torpedo a franchise for a premier player. I wouldn't be surprised to see the league negate the penalty entirely due to the circumstances surrounding this particular contract. There's no reason to put Nashville under the gun when it was Philly's contract structure.

Having to essentially be below the cap floor by a few million in current player salary in order to be cap compliant would torpedo a team. Have to sell off several players and replace with rookies and waiver wire players. Meanwhile the entire league can take advantage of you because they know your s.o.l.

That's why the league will never allow that to happen in full. They may at most have them suffer a minor recapture penalty in the 1-5 mil range but not that absurd 24 mil number.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Now I could see the league giving Nashville a break on this one because it wasn't their intent to sign Weber to that contract. That was Philly's fault. lol
Nope. They signed him to that contract.

That contract was genius and Nashville could pay a big price to match

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
I get the idea, but I don't understand why the league is trying to hammer teams over one year not fulfilled. If anything, the cap penalty should be less as the player plays more years. By doing this, the league is effectively encouraging cap circumvention.

Reactions: Cogburn

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
The next CBA will probably have something to cover NSH and other teams when this happens lol or he will just invent a reason to go in LTIR lol

Diaz126025

Jun 4, 2019
LOL “forced”
Like they didn’t have a choice...
Looking years ahead, Nashville’s come close but hasn’t won it, not even thanks to Weber. Should’ve called phillys bluff, but that’s a way easier option to look at now rather than then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad