If Matthews doesn't step up his game soon, he's at risk of becomming the modern day Jean Beliveau...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Does Matthews play on the PK? Usually have to play on the PK to get shorthanded chances.
Matthews only plays a bit short handed. But he's built for short handed hockey. He's big, strong, a great skater, blocks shots and is amongst the best in the league at take aways. Plus he's got arguably the best shot arsenal in the league right now and a great setup man in Marner, who plays a ton short handed.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
You think Beliveau would win 10 cups in a 32 team league?
I think Beliveau would win more than one playoff series.

Matthews is a great player. Someday everything will fall into place and he will be getting the Stanley Cup from Gary Bettman

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Came in here expecting a discussion on Matthews stepping up his game to lead the Leafs in the playoffs

Leaving here confused as to why short handed goals are an impactful stat in overall greatness

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So right now Auston Matthews has scored 368 career goals in the NHL, but not a single one of them has been a short handed goal. It's really uncommon to have scored as much goals as Matthews has without scoring at least 1 short handed goal. All the great goal scorers have at least some short handed goals, from Ovechkin, Stamkos and Bure to Jagr, Selanne and Hull, they all have scored short handed goals. The player with the most goals and no short handed goals is Jean Beliveau, who is the only player with 500+ goals and no short handed goals. Matthews will surpass 400 career goals this season, but he's already entering his 9th season in the NHL and those short handed goals are going to get harder and harder to score as he ages.

I don't know about you, but I would rather see Auston Matthews in the Ovechkin, Bure, Selanne, Hull tier, than the Jean Beliveau, Daniel Sedin, Jeff Skinner tier. Will Matthews be able to score a short handed goal during his career? Or is he destined to become the modern day Jean Beliveau and become only the 2nd 500+ goal scorer who's unable to score a single short handed goal during his career?

Jean Beliveau has 10 stanley cups wins his first at 24. Not sure why you would compare Matthews to him?​

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Austin Matthews sure wouldn't want to be compared to who is IMO the 7th best player of all Time in Jean Béliveau

Seriously tho, wtf is wrong with you OP? You drunk dawg?
Beliveau isnt 7th "best" all time.

He is a top 15 greatrst player ever likely in 9-13 range with OV, Bourque, Jagr

Mcdavid is the best to 3rd best player to play hockey ever, but right now is 5th or 6th greatest to play

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So right now Auston Matthews has scored 368 career goals in the NHL, but not a single one of them has been a short handed goal. It's really uncommon to have scored as much goals as Matthews has without scoring at least 1 short handed goal. All the great goal scorers have at least some short handed goals, from Ovechkin, Stamkos and Bure to Jagr, Selanne and Hull, they all have scored short handed goals. The player with the most goals and no short handed goals is Jean Beliveau, who is the only player with 500+ goals and no short handed goals. Matthews will surpass 400 career goals this season, but he's already entering his 9th season in the NHL and those short handed goals are going to get harder and harder to score as he ages.

I don't know about you, but I would rather see Auston Matthews in the Ovechkin, Bure, Selanne, Hull tier, than the Jean Beliveau, Daniel Sedin, Jeff Skinner tier. Will Matthews be able to score a short handed goal during his career? Or is he destined to become the modern day Jean Beliveau and become only the 2nd 500+ goal scorer who's unable to score a single short handed goal during his career?
How bout just getting better at play off hockey.

When Matthews is mentioned in the same sentence as Beliveau...

Now he just needs to win ten Stanley Cups to make the resemblance even more uncanny. One will be a good start.
and 7 more in Management

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Not only that, he’s scored 0 goals for the western conference. 0 goals against Roy. 0 goals in a Stanley cup final. 0 goals in the mlb. 0 goals for the new year. Not impressed.

Seriously though, mulletman is a whole shtick, but I wasn’t aware Matthews didn’t have a pk goal. Now I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad