IF Levshunov is available at #5

take Levshunov?

• Yes take Levshunov and trade one of Reinbacher/Mailloux

• Yes take Levshunov and keep Reinbacher/Mailloux

• No, take Iginla or Catton (or another forward not named Demidov/Lindstrom)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Unlikely, but IF Levshunov is available at #5, but Demidov and Lindstrom are gone.... do you take him and trade later Reinbacher or Mailloux (RHD) for a young top 6?

I dont think it would be crazy since Lev has the higher ceiling, potentially being a franchise Dman which essentially all Cups winners possess.

Nothing against Reinbacher or Mailloux, I love both, but trading for a more established (and proven) top 6 player may be more beneficial than taking an 18 year old like Iginla or Catton possibly.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I don t see the point in taking Levshunov to trade Reinbacher, then I d rather see MTL take Buium or Dickinson and trade a lesser LD.
I feel Reinbacher has the lowest ceiling, but possibly the highest floor of the 4 Dmen (Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher). Id really keep Hutson and Mailloux personally for their offensive play.

Reactions: xposbrad

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
My wish as well. I prefer Buium and Dickinson. Take the best D and deal with the position problem later
I wouldnt want too many purely offensive Dman in this rebuild. Hutson will already require a more stay at home (surely Reinbacher).

Buium and Dickinson could very well be more well rounded as they gain experience, but I feel they are more on the offensive side.

I don t see anything in Levshunov s game that makes me confident he ll be better than Reinbacher…
really? interesting.... obviously its early to forecast any Dman at this point, but Levshunov being the highest ranked Dman in one of, if not, the most deep defensive drafts ever leads me to think Levshunov has much higher potential.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I wouldnt want too many purely offensive Dman in this rebuild. Hutson will already require a more stay at home (surely Reinbacher).

Buium and Dickenson could very well be more well rounded as they gain experience, but I feel they are more on the offensive side.

really? interesting.... obviously its early to forecast any Dman at this point, but Levshunov being the highest ranked Dman in one of, if not, the most deep defensive drafts ever leads me to think Levshunov has much higher potential.
I think Buium will be the best d-man in this class . . . and by a fair amount.

Reactions: Guhlay and FloJack

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
No but not because he's a D. I don't like his hockey IQ and defensive play and I question how he'll do at the NHL level. I like the other Dmen near the top of this draft better.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Take Lev (if he is truly BPA) and keep Rein and Mailloix until we figure out what all 3 become. Maybe Lev is the one we trade in 2 years.

Would really suck if we traded Mailloux, only for him to be better than Lev, while Iggy puts up 80 points for the Sens.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
not trying to be picky, but you should consider the option of trading down to a team that wants him bad

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
If you think Dickinson, Buium or Lev are clearly BPA, either trade down for a king’s ransom or take one of them and trade either Hutson or Mailloux for a similar prospect at forward

Reactions: themilosh

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
not trying to be picky, but you should consider the option of trading down to a team that wants him bad
agreed, but what would be the smarter move? trading a Dman for a more proven young top 6, or trading down and taking Iginla/Catton + whatever they get for the trading down

Don't confuse "lots of Ds doing high" with "they are all better quality than previous drafts Ds".
I mean, being the best ranked Dman in a draft where 5 Dmen should go in the top 10 is quite a big deal, no? Im not saying he has Hedman potential, but hes really up there imo.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I feel Reinbacher has the lowest ceiling, but possibly the highest floor of the 4 Dmen (Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher). Id really keep Hutson and Mailloux personally for their offensive play.
Way too early to anticipate Reinbacher's ceiling. He showed alot of good things in his 11 games in Laval. If you are taking a D at #5 I would go with Sam Dickinson regardless of him being a LD.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Unlikely, but IF Levshunov is available at #5, but Demidov and Lindstrom are gone.... do you take him and trade later Reinbacher or Mailloux (RHD) for a young top 6?

I dont think it would be crazy since Lev has the higher ceiling, potentially being a franchise Dman which essentially all Cups winners possess.

Nothing against Reinbacher or Mailloux, I love both, but trading for a more established (and proven) top 6 player may be more beneficial than taking an 18 year old like Iginla or Catton possibly.
I heard bad stuff about him but don't know for sure. If he's there at 5, I am calling around see if team like Ottawa is interested in trading up. Still get Catton or Sennecke at 7. Gain another late first. To be combined with Jets pick for good young player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If we take Levshunov, there doesn't seem to be a need to trade Reinbacher or Mailloux, as we're not sure Mailloux will be a top 4 dman at the NHL level.

Overall I stay away from saying which player we should draft over whom. But, I think it's a dangerous game to draft for need. It takes serious talent and ability to win a cup. So I would go for projected talent and ability at the draft, and then use trades to address need.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If we take Levshunov, there doesn't seem to be a need to trade Reinbacher or Mailloux, as we're not sure Mailloux will be a top 4 dman at the NHL level.

Overall I stay away from saying which player we should draft over whom. But, I think it's a dangerous game to draft for need. It takes serious talent and ability to win a cup. So I would go for projected talent and ability at the draft, and then use trades to address need.
Yep trading for need has never worked out for this organization. You draft BPA which leverages the GM in many ways including the ability to trade that player for a real need.

Reactions: GrandBison

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
If you think Dickinson, Buium or Lev are clearly BPA, either trade down for a king’s ransom or take one of them and trade either Hutson or Mailloux for a similar prospect at forward
Hutson is not getting traded any time soon.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I mean, being the best ranked Dman in a draft where 5 Dmen should go in the top 10 is quite a big deal, no? Im not saying he has Hedman potential, but hes really up there imo.
There is no consensus after Celebrini in this draft. Levshunov was #4 on Bob's latest rankings made via NHL scouts survey not that long ago with Silayev at #3 for example.

Lev is ranked higher on most list than Parekh and Yakemchuk, the other two RHDs who should go in the top 15 thought.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Levshunov would instantly become our best D prospect, so yeah, I'd take him, wouldn't mind Dickinson either. But, I'd also keep Mailloux/Reinbacher (Mailloux did a lot to 'redeem' himself, and has learned a lot in the pros already, and Reinbacher was just drafted, come on, he won't be traded)

Better to have a logjam of quality at a position and trade from there, like Hughes did with Romanov/Dach. Good/great teams build from within and trade their surplus.

Still would prefer Lindstrom/Demidov, otherwise yeah, trade down for Iginla, 5 is too high for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad