If he retired today, this forward's a HHoFer.

If he retired today, this forward's a HHoFer.

• Total voters

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
That is how I feel about Mac.

Likewise, though perhaps controversially, Matthews is just not going to get hall of fame without winning a cup and leading his team. Not in my book. Regular season goals isn't enough to push him over the hump in my book.

The same could be said about McDavid... but it's McJesus. He is quite literally the exception to the rule.
I don’t like using cups to measure players because an individual can only contribute so much to a playoff run. I do think that Matthew’s playoff performance individually is good, but not great, which may detract from his hof case. Players like Drai and Mcdavid may not win a cup, but their insane playoff performance is more important imo for their case. Kucherov too, but to a lesser extent.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

Likewise, though perhaps controversially, Matthews is just not going to get hall of fame without winning a cup and leading his team. Not in my book. Regular season goals isn't enough to push him over the hump in my book.

The same could be said about McDavid... but it's McJesus. He is quite literally the exception to the rule.
Lesser players have gotten into the hall than Mac. I get what you mean, but the fact that Mack is universally considered a top 3 player with McDavid in the NHL, i think the voters would recognize that.

That being said, Mac is lacking the hardware. Let’s see if he wins a Hart. Another Cup or Con Smythe might make the case, as well as a Gold Medal at the Olympics.

Reactions: Aoko and Ben Grimm

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Kind of confused by the question. Is it, if they retired today and would be HOF as soon as they did? Then only McDavid would really qualify.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
McDavid, Mac, Kuch, Draisaitl, Matthews
I also think that Rantanen and Pasta would be too.

The case for Rantanen is his extremely good 7 year prime, and he brings more than just stats and an excellent playoff resume as well (6 straight years above a PPG and 5 of those years double digit games). Even if one doesn't have him in yet he is tracking very well to be included soon.

Pasta's case is an extremely good 8 year prime a 2nd and 4th Hart finish and top goals finishes of 1,2,7 and 10 plus a pretty decent playoff resume.

Bread probably is as well but his playoff resume isn't all that great.

Matthew Tkachuk is trending that way but still needs more IMO.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was torn on Matthews. But in the end the lack of games played, and the fact that his play doesn‘t carry over to the playoffs keeps him waiting a bit.

Is there a player from the modern era with less than 700 GP in that isn‘t a goalie or one of the soviets?

Lindros and Bure had to wait, so I think Matthews would too.
The lack of GP is a bit of a faulty logic thing as around 40 of those games were beyond his control.

The case for aM is simply this.

Leads the entire NHL by 40 goals in his first 8 years, has 3 Richard trophies plus finishes of 2nd and 3rd as well.

he has led the league in ESG in 5 of his first 8 seasons and another 5th place finish.

He has Hart finishes of 1,2 and almost certainly another top 5 this year.

He will be a finalist for the selke this year and even if some people think it's not deserved they can't argue that he doesn't bring more to the table than stats like say Kuch or Bread.

That folks simply is a HHOF career already.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I guess using your criteria then the HHOF should probably have around 100-150 less players in it?

Also Mack has a SC and Hart finishes of 2,2,3,5 and 6 and will probably win this year, that's a HHOF lock given his playoff resume.

I'd go back and take a second look.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
We’ve got 5 players with over 100 votes and 13 with 22 or less. Thought provoking poll.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Mackinnon's Stanley Cup and 172 more career points makes a difference.

Pastrnak's close, but he'd be helped by 1 or 2 more seasons playing at (or near) his current level.

I mean, pastrnak has 120 less gp, so the point difference isn't really a big deal. And yes mackinnon has a cup but pastrnak has a rocket.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I guess using your criteria then the HHOF should probably have around 100-150 less players in it?

Also Mack has a SC and Hart finishes of 2,2,3,5 and 6 and will probably win this year, that's a HHOF lock given his playoff resume.

I'd go back and take a second look.

Personally agree with him. Only a handful of players should get in per generation. Out of that list, McDavid, Kucherov and Draisaitl. Would include MacKinnon with 3-4 more 100 point seasons. Too much hall of very good instead of Fame.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
How the hell are guys like Pastrnak and Rantanen getting votes for this???

If they retired today, neither have even close to enough career points, goals, or top finishes for offensive-forwards (for the compiling side of it), nor do they have a couple big major trophies to make up for the lack of career compiling.

PastrnakRantanen
Career Goals
348​
262​
Career Points
727​
617​
Top-10 goals finishes1/2/7/103/5
Top-10 points finishes3/3/55/8/8
Hart finishes2, 4 (+ likely top-5/6 this yr)6/10 (+ maybe a 9/10th this yr)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad