If Gonchar makes the HHOF is he ours too?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ehhh... he's going in as a Capital first, and as a Penguin second.

If you're not one of the two main teams, I'd say no. I wouldn't consider Hasek as a Sen in the HHOF, either.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Not really lol, I mean thats like saying Hasek is a HHOF for the Senators as well (which is not the case).

And is Gonchar going to make the HHOF? Its off-topic but people are saying Hossa and Elias should too, but I don't see Gonchar/Hossa/Elias being a HHOF calibre player. Maybe Gonchar.

If any of those three make it, Alfie has to be inducted. Sure he doesn't have the cup unlike any of those three, but his overall stats and his dedication to Ottawa (both on and off the ice) has to be recognized.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
just think how many teams are going to be able to claim Jagr when he gets in!

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Not really lol, I mean thats like saying Hasek is a HHOF for the Senators as well (which is not the case).

And is Gonchar going to make the HHOF? Its off-topic but people are saying Hossa and Elias should too, but I don't see Gonchar/Hossa/Elias being a HHOF calibre player. Maybe Gonchar.

If any of those three make it, Alfie has to be inducted. Sure he doesn't have the cup unlike any of those three, but his overall stats and his dedication to Ottawa (both on and off the ice) has to be recognized.

800 + pts as a D-man, 2x 20 goal season, 11x 10+goal seasons, 3 x 60+ pt sesaons, good for 17th all time in points for D-men, with 5 all star appearances and a Stanley Cup.

Those points totals put him ahead of Salming , Blake, Zubov, and Niedermeyer.

Yeah, Gonchar is going into the HHOF.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
In my opinion no because we didn't have him during his prime years, when I think of Gonchar I think of Washington and Pittsburgh.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Washington would be my guess. But I would not support a HHOF place for him.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Thing for me isn't the amount of time spent as a sen but rather that he didn't do anything that helped him get to the HHOF while he was with us.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
maybe you need to rephrase the question.

I don't think you mean in the sense where like in baseball they have a team cap representing a team they played the most significant (either in years or events) time with. Hockey does not do that.

If Gonchar goes in, then it will be considered a Senator (and Cap/Pen/Bruin/Star/Hab) going in. But it all goes to weight. He played 3 years in Ottawa, 10 years in Washington, 5 in Pitts. I know the HHOF does not do it, but I like the way baseball does, where they list the teams played for and the years.

Carter%20Gary%20Plaque_NBL_0.png

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I heard they already had a Sergei Gonchar exhibit at the HHOF, but they removed it because everyone just walked around it.

I'll show myself out.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Not only is Gonchar a HHOFer, he is potentially a 1st ballot HHOFer.

I can't imagine how he doesn't get in.

Really. I think his days in Washington were good (maybe even very good) and he lucked in to a strong Pittsburgh team.

I think he was steady, a great teacher/mentor, with a good shot. I don't think he defined his position or instigated change to it.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If that's the definition, then we need to kick out like 85% of the existing players in the HHOF.

There are a few in there that should not be I guess, but that is history and I don't know enough to have an opinion. Gonchar is not in the same discussion as the impact Dmen of his era (Stevenson, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, etc)

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I loved Gonchar.

With hindsight, our D-core needed his calming presence. Both Cowen and Wiercioch played their best hockey, in a 2nd pairing role with Sarge as their partner. Management thought the kids would be able to take over but they were not.

To me, he's a Capitals first and foremost.

Hossa and Chara will always be Senators to me even if they both had success and won cups elsewhere.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I'd say yes because this isn't baseball…he's going into the HHoF as just Sergei Gonchar and not with any particular team. That said, it doesn't mean as much as say Alfie going in, or Hossa or Chara. It means more than Hasek in the HHoF however. It's not black and white, and three seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Washington would be my guess. But I would not support a HHOF place for him.

Really. I think his days in Washington were good (maybe even very good) and he lucked in to a strong Pittsburgh team.

I think he was steady, a great teacher/mentor, with a good shot. I don't think he defined his position or instigated change to it.

Get out of here with this nonsense. If he was Canadian you'd have no issue putting him in the HHOF.

'lucked into a strong pittsburgh team' How people love to change history. Crosby and Malkin would probably slap if you said something like this out loud in front of them.

Penguins were struggling to make the playoffs in 2009 with Gonchar still out with an injury from the 1st game of the pre-season.

Gonchar comes back on February 14, after not playing since training camp, tallies 19 points in 25 games and get the penguins securely in the playoffs as the 4th seed. Then he plays the conference finals and SCF with a partially torn MCL.''

This is coming from a guy that hated when we signed him and thought the hate was justified after his 1st season. He sure proved me and lots of other people wrong. Love Gonchar now.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Get out of here with this nonsense. If he was Canadian you'd have no issue putting him in the HHOF.

'lucked into a strong pittsburgh team' How people love to change history. Crosby and Malkin would probably slap if you said something like this out loud in front of them.

Penguins were struggling to make the playoffs in 2009 with Gonchar still out with an injury from the 1st game of the pre-season.

Gonchar comes back on February 14, after not playing since training camp, tallies 19 points in 25 games and get the penguins securely in the playoffs as the 4th seed. Then he plays the conference finals and SCF with a partially torn MCL.''

This is coming from a guy that hated when we signed him and thought the hate was justified after his 1st season. He sure proved me and lots of other people wrong. Love Gonchar now.

Rather offensive reply to an opinion. You have yours, I have mine.

My issue is not so much with Gonchar or not as opposed to I think we take too many these days for political reasons. If you want Gonchar, vote him in. He does not get my vote. That's all I'm saying.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What the ****?

"No" by a landslide?!

The guy played for us for 3 years

For me, I really like Gonchar, but he will always be a Cap to me. That's where he was really a star, and where his name was made.

By the time he got to us he was a future HHOF'er who could be a solid mentor to our younger D.

It's not a slight to his character, but rather homage to his most important years as a hockey player.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Gonchar was great here. But his glory years were not here.

I agree with Bonk. Likely a first balloter for HOF, but we could never claim him as ours.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

Rather offensive reply to an opinion. You have yours, I have mine.

My issue is not so much with Gonchar or not as opposed to I think we take too many these days for political reasons. If you want Gonchar, vote him in. He does not get my vote. That's all I'm saying.

You've changed your 'opinion' already in this thread as why he shouldn't get in. To me, it seems like you are grasping at straws to find reasons that he should NOT get in. At least provide some insight into WHY you think the things you are saying.

How would Gonchar be getting in for political reasons? He was THE offensive defenceman during the early 2000's and is really only 2nd behind Lidstrom for that entire era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad