I want to quit DirecTv - Where to go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
Funny thing is DirecTv gave me Center Ice free last year for being a long time subscriber. It was a nice offer but I am not really interested in other teams.

I canceled the Xumo account and will return that turd to Spectrum. The thing was clunky as a 1980's computer interface.

I will call Spectrum to cancel the streaming tomorrow, online would not let me.

I bought a Ruku Ultra and plan to use it with DirecTv streaming but am in limbo since the cancellation of service is not complete.

Why does everything have to be such a pain in the ass?

Reactions: BigKing

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Why does everything have to be such a pain in the ass?
Becuase were trapped in a transition phase

Those that profit from the "old models" are trying desperately to keep them relevant to capitalize on scarcity

but technology has elminated scarcity and theres been no new method devised to reliably and consistently generate profit off a post-scarcity world

The worlds economy has been fueled by ads for like a century and companies were willing to invest heavily in those ads because the options were limited

Now with smart phones and the internet its harder and harder to capture the amount of eyeballs and attention that your local newspaper and three national tv stations used to be able to

You can all cry about the media coverage for the Kings all you want but the reality is there aren't enough eyeballs watching Kings games to justify a single dedicated independent journalist to covering the team.

Everybody talks about the Cap going up but also likes to complain about the cost of coverage... if every team in the league signs up with Victory+ next season I got bad news for you cap optimists.

Reactions: KingsCrunch

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Becuase were trapped in a transition phase

Those that profit from the "old models" are trying desperately to keep them relevant to capitalize on scarcity

but technology has elminated scarcity and theres been no new method devised to reliably and consistently generate profit off a post-scarcity world

The worlds economy has been fueled by ads for like a century and companies were willing to invest heavily in those ads because the options were limited

Now with smart phones and the internet its harder and harder to capture the amount of eyeballs and attention that your local newspaper and three national tv stations used to be able to

You can all cry about the media coverage for the Kings all you want but the reality is there aren't enough eyeballs watching Kings games to justify a single dedicated independent journalist to covering the team.

Everybody talks about the Cap going up but also likes to complain about the cost of coverage... if every team in the league signs up with Victory+ next season I got bad news for you cap optimists.
All of this is true, but Sinclair/Diamond Sports has absolutely butchered their regional sports networks.

Al of this is theory, and I know it's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but
1) They paid way to much. Disney jedi mind tricked them in to seriously overpaying and they are never going to recoup that mone

2) They have completely screwed up their distribution and lose ever single carriage fee dispute. With every other provider (like Disney , ABC, ESPN right now with Direct-TV) it's temporary. The fox sports RSNs were on every single streaming service and now they are on Fubo or DTV stream. which leads in to my next point,,,

3) They seriously overestimated the demand for their product. No one is in their right mind is going to pay $20 a month for a Ballys streaming app that works less often that it does. Most people I knew who signed up cancelled within the first month because it didn't work and had ridiculously bad support. So very few signed up and those who don't have it readily available go the path of least resistance and simply pirate it.

4) They hedged too much on sports gambling being legalized in all states. From a few snippets I heard they were somewhat okay with Ballys being a loss leader for the real business model. Gambling. Supposedly the Ballys app was going to have live in game odds and betting and Sinclair/Diamond thought that it was going to be the next boom economy and they'd have Walter White levels of money from gambling addicts.
1726242198805.png

Even after sports wagering didn't pass in certain big states, instead of reflecting on the errors of their ways and reevaluating the market value of their product they doubled down on their stupidity and lost another big carriage fight with xfinity and their subscribers lost Ballys for months

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
$69 this season. No ESPN+ exclusive games.
Looks like ESPN+ is $110 for a year, so that is a good amount cheaper. If you did eight months for the season (assuming all playoff games are on national TV), you'd be at $96. Still more but then it would matter if the other content on there is worth that, plus ESPN+ exclusive games.

Pretty sweet that Center Ice is that cheap now. Back when I had to have it in the '00s, it was easily over $100. $69 today is like being paid to have it back then.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Transitionary phase.

Scarcity drives value. Technology has eliminated scarcity.
Yet it has made it more expensive for the consumer in the event they want to be able to watch everything.

There is more freedom of choice and much more content (can argue if the latter is actually a good thing or not), but there always seems to be at least one thing you really want to see which means having to pay for another streaming service: if you play by the rules, of course.

Call me an old at 43 years old, but it was more fun when we could all discuss the same thing v. "Oh, I don't have Apple TV, Paramount etc."

It was such an amazing thing for me when I was 18-19, got DTV and ordered up Center Ice. To be able to watch every game was amazing. Now, it is extremely easy to watch every other team in the league but it is difficult to actually watch the Kings. Never would have imagined it.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Yet it has made it more expensive for the consumer in the event they want to be able to watch everything.

There is more freedom of choice and much more content (can argue if the latter is actually a good thing or not), but there always seems to be at least one thing you really want to see which means having to pay for another streaming service: if you play by the rules, of course.

Call me an old at 43 years old, but it was more fun when we could all discuss the same thing v. "Oh, I don't have Apple TV, Paramount etc."

It was such an amazing thing for me when I was 18-19, got DTV and ordered up Center Ice. To be able to watch every game was amazing. Now, it is extremely easy to watch every other team in the league but it is difficult to actually watch the Kings. Never would have imagined it.
Well that's the other part of it...

"disruptors"

streaming platforms, Uber, air bnb... business models that arent actually profitable come along and "disrupt" existing industries and make their short term earnings on investment and hype

Then inevitably it turns out that you cant atually make as much money on $5.99 monthly subscriptions or random strangers picking you up in their car or letting you stay in their home but by the time we all realized it the original industry is in ruins thanks to the invasive "disruption" models and all of us were so thrilled with the convenience of hopping in an Uber and the novelty of App Culture we never noticed the steady decline in quality and increase in price and now I'm paying $40 to get to the airport every time I travel and I'm paying more in streaming costs than I did for Cable and the options are limited and not as good and *shakes fist at clouds*

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
I had DirecTv for 24 years and loved everything about it but the constant price increases. My last upgrade was over 10 years ago. It was a Genie server with three dummy receivers. All in HD.

Since then the monthly price has doubled. I am retired now so I have to consider costs of things that are not so important in life.

Before DirecTv I was an early supporter of Dish. That had good and bad problems as well.

TV today is just like the music industry a couple of decades ago. They were drunk on feeding off the peasants but when things changed they could not deal with adapting to the new world.

I could just say FU all and never watch another Kings game but I am still trying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad