I want to quit DirecTv - Where to go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It's clunkier to switch from Directv to all the streaming options, but once you get used to it its not too bad. I switched last year.

I did the same going with Sling. It's still not as streamlined as DTV interface, but you do figure it out. I like the fact you can add and subtract packages at anytime . You can also try it for free to see if it works for you. It doesn't carry Bally's, but the 75.00 a month I now save covers the cost should I decide to subscribe again when the season starts. I'm hoping Amazon picks up hockey and treats it like they do the NFL.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
AkMRMep.png

You might be right...

"the service will be offered as a free ad-supported streaming service, making it accessible without barriers and enhancing the fan experience with a low-latency feed and high ad-fill rate for a superior viewing experience. Utilizing APMC’s ad-tech solution Safe Exchange™ will allow both direct and programmatic ads on the service ensuring advertisers can have full access to the engaged audience base."

• Haha
Reactions: tny760

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
DirecTv has gotten so expensive that I am ready to drop them but I love being able to watch all the Kings games.

What is the best alternative these days?

I am afraid to choose one that will remove my ability to watch games that are local.
I have spectrum and its pretty good . Internet plus cable all together . I believe they have a special right now as well . Give them a call ! Kings channel (bally sports west) is ch 30

Reactions: KingsCrunch

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
Wouldn’t a VPN and ESPN+ do the trick?
Yes (and I really like using a VPN on my systems, irrespective of the Kings). One additional perk to this set-up is that you can catch the opposing team's broadcast (not as big a deal to me personally now that Alex Faust is no longer part of the Kings' broadcast crew, but still).

One downside: a few games a season aren't carried on ESPN+. For the past two (at least) years, this has included the Kings' playoff games - whether or not this is actually truly a demerit, is up to you...

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
I have spectrum and its pretty good . Internet plus cable all together . I believe they have a special right now as well . Give them a call ! Kings channel (bally sports west) is ch 30

I have Spectrum for internet but obliterated the lines in the house when I switched to DTV 20+ years ago. I could reroute the DTV cables to the incoming connection but when I looked it wouldn't save me all that much to change over.

I have also been spoiled with the quality of DTV picture and the amazing DVR service.

I had Spectrum at work and the amount of pixelation on most of the channels was trash. I would not be satisfied with that.

I have used VPN service in the past so I am familiar with using it.

I also love watching live police chases which Los Angeles has a lot of. Most can be watched online but some are local TV only. I prefer those on my large TV to my tablet.

We all get spoiled. When I was first a Kings fan only about 1/4 of the games were on live TV and in 420p it was hard to even see where the puck was. Times have changed.

Thank you all for adding more suggestions. It will be hard to pull the plug but you are making it easier to think about it.

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
I'm old and happy with DirecTV. Center Ice is only 70 bucks this season and we get all game feeds in HD along with the ability to record, pause etc. with no issues. Oh for some reason last season they only showed Canadien feeds for HNIC or when both teams playing are from up north. Plus I just was given the sports pack so I can watch most pre and post game shows. I'm in LA so Bally's is also trouble free for the Kings.

Reactions: KingsCrunch

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
ESPN+ is baked into my phone plan, so I keep an eye there to catch games, but like all providers, it feels like half or more of all games are blacked out and unavailable in my area, and most of the time I am too lazy to go for a VPN to try to watch them all there, so I just go to "alternate" streams around the internet... Until they are able to guarantee that I can watch all the games normally without blackouts I will never directly subscribe to a Center Ice type package again.

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
OK I decided to drop DirecTv. I added Spectrum streaming for TV. A good side thing, I replaced my old modem and went from 60mbps to 480mbps. The old one was fine before but will need more data now. I guess I will be adding Bally sports for hockey. Buying it by they year isn't so bad, I only hope not to get too many blackouts.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
OK I decided to drop DirecTv. I added Spectrum streaming for TV. A good side thing, I replaced my old modem and went from 60mbph to 480mbph. The old one was fine before but will need more data now. I guess I will be adding Bally sports for hockey. Buying it by they year isn't so bad, I only hope not to get too many blackouts.
Spectrum's streaming Service should already have Bally Sports

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
OK I decided to drop DirecTv. I added Spectrum streaming for TV. A good side thing, I replaced my old modem and went from 60mbph to 480mbph. The old one was fine before but will need more data now. I guess I will be adding Bally sports for hockey. Buying it by they year isn't so bad, I only hope not to get too many blackouts.
I also imagine the streaming service would already have Bally's.

I switched from DISH to YT TV when Sunday Ticket moved from DTV. It's awesome and I highly recommend it.

I use the VPN and ESPN+ for Kings games. Best part about that is you also get most every other NHL game this way.

Bally's app was an abomination when I was using it the first season that DISH stopped carrying FSW. Would freeze up when fast forwarding through intermission or commercials and then you had to start over from the start of the broadcast if you were watching it on delay. Problem there is that you would have to try and fast forward all the way to where it froze, usually meaning that it would freeze again.

Thankfully, that was during a period of immense suck so catching the highlights on Twitter via KingsGifs or whatever was actually good enough.

But yeah: I would recommend YT TV as your base service and ESPN+ and a VPN for the Kings games. Having YT TV will cover you for when the Kings are on ESPN or TNT. They don't have NHL Network, however. Thought that would be a problem for me but I've just gone on living my life and it hasn't mattered one bit.

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
Spectrum's streaming Service should already have Bally Sports
That would be awesome. Since I just added it I haven't taken time to run thru all the channels yet.

I was up late adding the Xumo streaming box to the service. Spectrum app wanted to add my personally owned modem I just setup and would not let me skip it. It would not work since it's not a Spectrum modem. Got that resolved.

Was busy removing all the DTV equipment and canceling service today.

Getting a cheap universal remote tomorrow before going back to the Xumo and seeing exactly what it does. Home theater has too many remotes even now. The DTV remote was pretty good with most things but it's gone.

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
As I am getting further into this I am getting a headache. So far I am not getting local channels or Local sports on the Spectrum TV app or the Xumo. The Xumo directions say to connect a digital antenna to receive local channels. I live in an area North of LA where that is impossible.

I tried the "Online help" from Spectrum but it is just bots that keep me going in a circle.

I might have to just dump that and go with DirecTv streaming. It is more expensive but does seem to cover what I want. It looks like Choice has all I want. Does anyone here have that and have an opinion on it?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
As I am getting further into this I am getting a headache. So far I am not getting local channels or Local sports on the Spectrum TV app or the Xumo. The Xumo directions say to connect a digital antenna to receive local channels. I live in an area North of LA where that is impossible.

I tried the "Online help" from Spectrum but it is just bots that keep me going in a circle.

I might have to just dump that and go with DirecTv streaming. It is more expensive but does seem to cover what I want. It looks like Choice has all I want. Does anyone here have that and have an opinion on it?
My opinion is that Charter/Spectrum sucks so it isn't surprising that their app would be a PITA.

Not sure what it would be if priced out, but I am loving Youtube TV. As a hockey fan, ESPN+ is a good move regardless and you can get a VPN for super cheap.

YT TV keeps improving the experience. Thought I would miss satellite but I'm very happy with the switch.

As an aside, I get Spectrum through my HOA but I'd have to pay extra for DVR so I still use ESPN+/VPN. Picture quality is worlds better with YT TV.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

I previously Direct TV stream. It worked, it wasn't the cheapest option , but it did the job

Note that they are currently having a dispute with Disney , so you temporarily won't get ABC, ESPN, or Disney channels

The other option is Fubo, it is less but the downside is no TNT or TBS

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
I previously Direct TV stream. It worked, it wasn't the cheapest option , but it did the job

Note that they are currently having a dispute with Disney , so you temporarily won't get ABC, ESPN, or Disney channels

The other option is Fubo, it is less but the downside is no TNT or TBS.

We switched from dish Direct to the Direct streaming service. Some minor differences. Got something called MeTV. Three Stooges marathons on Saturday are a bonus.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
ESPN+ and a VPN will get you a lot of games, but not all. Luckily, I use a family member's login to watch stuff that is on TNT and other channels (they are in Nevada). For anything not on these platforms, I'll hit a certain website that has all the NHL streams.
If you have a VPN and 4 bucks you will get Disney+, espn and NHL Center ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad