Hypothetical mega star: how would the league deal with this?

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Nancy Kerrigan GIFs | Tenor
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 12.18.53 PM.png

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Premature off season thread maybe, but the thought popped a couple of times in my mind and I wanted to gather the opinions of you guys.

What would happen if the NHL witnessed the coming of a mega star, I’m talking about the guy who racks up 8-10 points a night, 7 feet tall 280 behemoth that can’t be hurt by the opposition so you can’t stop him. The type of monster you created in EA NHL when you first started playing. After 5 Stanley Cup in a row won exclusively because of him, would the league intervene to nerf this guy?

Your opinion is crucial on this.
The bruins would keep him in Providence for development for 3 yrs if they didn’t pass on him in the draft for 3 project 5th rounders that remind Sweeney of his younger self.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I suggest that a better topic is how would hockey be if it had the same participation as futbol does. For the record, futbol "technically" has 240 million registered players. Hockey has 1-3 million.

With 240 million, we'd probably see players easily better than Gretzky, Jagr, Orr, and Lemieux.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
First real answer here? I think the league itself would look at what he was doing to accomplish all those goals/points and find a way to mitigate it. If it got to a point where it wasn't even fun watching anymore because it was obvious what was going to happen, like a Mcdavid of today joining a youth hockey league. Which is what I think you are trying to say.

They would probably start implementing rules such as one player not being allowed to carry across multiple lines, or any lines? If it got to the point it was hurting the sport they would def come up with some type of possession rule to handicap any player (but obviously just the one.)

Think of the trapezoid rule, but on crack.

Also if you read this thread or any thread/trade proposal like it and feel the need to explain to everyone how you know this would never happen. We are all very proud of you, really, but for now go back to finding Waldo and circling him in sharpie and we will let you know when the super serious threads need your help.

• Haha
Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
I suggest that a better topic is how would hockey be if it had the same participation as futbol does. For the record, futbol "technically" has 240 million registered players. Hockey has 1-3 million.

With 240 million, we'd probably see players easily better than Gretzky, Jagr, Orr, and Lemieux.
What's futbol? There's football and then there's american football

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Better yet... what if the San Jose Sharks trained an actual shark to play hockey from very young age and then it grew up to be totally dominant?

And would players rather be electrocuted than play against the shark?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
So to simplify, what would the league do if a player came along that basically broke the game? They would change the game.

The best example that came to mind for me was Wilt Chamberlain in the NBA. They raised the hoop height and implemented "offensive goaltending" so he couldn't just stand there and block shots at the rim.

An NHL scenario might mean smaller net sizes to curb scoring. Maybe implementing so other limiting factor like no two-line passing, etc.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
How could a 7 foot tall, 280 lb. player put up that many points in a night??

I feel like they’d be slow as hell…

75% of their weight is leg muscle. Each stride sends a shower of ice, blinding defenders. When he shoots, he pushes in his gut and photosynthesizes from the arena lighting to covert his leg power to hip and arm power. The slap shot has a 98% kill rate, so defenders shout don't die instead of hold the box when they defend.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
So Lindros or Lemieux then, or Victor Wembenyama in the NBA in a couple years.
Half the league would tank to get the pick to draft him, and once they do, every other team would pick the biggest players possible and aim to headshot the poor guy. Xhekaj and Gudas become the next Stevens and Kronwall on stepladders just for the chance to scrape his chin. Fun times.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Premature off season thread maybe, but the thought popped a couple of times in my mind and I wanted to gather the opinions of you guys.

What would happen if the NHL witnessed the coming of a mega star, I’m talking about the guy who racks up 8-10 points a night, 7 feet tall 280 behemoth that can’t be hurt by the opposition so you can’t stop him. The type of monster you created in EA NHL when you first started playing. After 5 Stanley Cup in a row won exclusively because of him, would the league intervene to nerf this guy?

Your opinion is crucial on this.

League would probably refuse to give him a special exemption on stick size like they did Chara to nerf him or make sure his back gives out.

The response probably would be terrifying. A 7 foot player that basically stands up and swings a "shorter" stick one handed like a badminton racquet with insane power, speed and accuracy.

Therefore, the league's attempts to nerf a mega star creates a super mega star instead.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Imagine if it's a goalie, as fast as a cat and as big as Alaskian brown bear so they literally can't score on him because he's too big and goals are too small.

What will NHL do with this?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Size becomes a liability at some point. Legs are vulnerable and your stick becomes so long you aren't deking shit.

Ovechkin/Lemieux seem to be ideal sized.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
They'd probably change the rules like college basketball did with Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) when they banned dunking.

Edit: Or the NHL did making PPs end after a goal is scored cause the Oilers PP was so dominant.

This rule change happened in 1956 as a response to the Montreal Canadiens power play. The Oilers were not even a gleam in hockey's eye back then.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
This is the most ridiculous topic ever here, and that’s saying something. Players don’t even score at that rate in juniors. Maybe peewee but nothing over that are you seeing a player average 8-10 points per game. The entire premise here is stupid. It’s like asking what the NFL would do with an indestructible running back who can’t be tackled and scores 10 TDs per game. The premise is so absurd it’s not even worth entertaining.
Hypothetically, how would you rank these two GOATs?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $10,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00