Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We're down to 2 teams - so 50/50 chance Oilers win the cup. If they do - I think McDavid is the current Conn Smythe favorite (Bouchard and Drai not far behind, but I do think McDavid is the current clear #1). What if Florida wins though, does McDavid still win the Smythe in a losing cause?

McDavid is up to 31 points. Barkov, who gets floated a lot for Florida - has 17. Tkachuk with 19. Really great players and very strong team obviously, but in terms of individual contributors I don't think anyone stands out as much as the Oilers trio.

Assuming McDavid doesn't completely self-implode and have a horrible final - so let's say he's at least average/above average - does he win the Smythe even if Florida wins the cup?

At first I was just going to make this a simple yes/no poll, but I thought I'd add in consideration for his actual performance in finals, to see if people think he'd win even if he's horrible in the finals. In my opinion - McDavid will win the Conn Smythe win or lose cup, but that's assuming he's at least average in finals. If he completely self-implodes and has a horrible final, then no, Florida player wins.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Only once in NHL history has a team on the losing side had a skater win the Conn Smythe? Otherwise it’s just been a handful of goalies?

That alone suggests it’s very unlikely.

However, he’s only 9 points away from being only the 3rd player in NHL history to break 40 points in a playoff run and only 6 assists away from breaking the single playoff assist record held by Gretzky.

If he managed both of those accomplishments in a losing effort you could probably make an argument for him. But that would assume that the Panthers didn’t have a standout performer in the finals

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
A Panther will win the Smythe, should they win the Cup

McDavid will win the Smythe, should the Oilers win the Cup.

Here's the one miracle situation where the Oilers lose and McDavid wins the Cup. McDavid (31) passes Gretzky (47) for points in a single playoffs - which would likely suggest he would also break Gretzky's single playoff season assist record. That means McDavid scores over 2 points a game and the Oilers lose. Don't see how that is possible but you never know.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
There are still two or three different Oilers who have a good shot at the Smythe, especially Draisaitl, who has outplayed McDavid in both the LA and Vancouver series (the latter seemed to be much closer than the Dallas series as well). McDavid had much more impact in the series against Dallas, though. So in the end it could come down to the SCF.
Bouchard and Skinner having an outside chance (rather unlikely).

In the case of an Oilers loss, the Smythe will likely go to Florida, though. Unless McDavid or Draisaitl are able so break some legendary playoff record.
It's not as if they don't have some great players there as well.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Not enough poll options. If it's a tight series and a) McDavid plays well but not spectacularly and no other Oiler out-shines him and b) Florida wins with a team effort and none of their biggest names stand out I could see McDavid winning the Smythe.

Say McDavid gets 11 points but the Panthers win in five, they will probably find someone from Florida to get the trophy.

In short, in my view both Edmonton and McDavid will have to give a valiant effort in a Cup loss for him to win it — and I predict they will. 6-7 games and I have it quite even, the Oil winning it wouldn't surprise me even though Florida is really good, deep and balanced.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Of course not. People said the same nonsense about Price and he ended up getting like two 3rd place votes.

Reactions: Sentinel

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Under the assumption of "above average" finals and not "insanely good" finals, then I don't see a way he would get the Conn Smythe in a losing effort.

Winning the Smythe in a losing effort would require an extraordinary finals from McDavid where either the rest of the team or, probably more likely, the goalie, craps the bed and they lose.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Of course not. People said the same nonsense about Price and he ended up getting like two 3rd place votes.
Price had a pretty pedestrian cup finals.

I don't like giving the conn smythe to someone on the losing team. Plenty of deserving players on the winning team every year.

Leon Draisaitl may have fewer points now but he was better than McD in rounds 1 and 2, and was still really good in round 3. I’d give it to him at this point.
thats not the way this works

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
He's going to set the all time record for assists in a single playoffs. That separates him from the pack pretty well.
Not really. If Draisaitl gets more points and goals, why would McDavid deserve the Conn Smythe more? It’s a nice record but unless he really is above and beyond his teammates, he won’t be deserving.

Reactions: Huokaus

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not really. If Draisaitl gets more points and goals, why would McDavid deserve the Conn Smythe more? It’s a nice record but unless he really is above and beyond his teammates, he won’t be deserving.
We all know that if the Oilers win McDavid is getting the award. There's not a chance on earth the voters will give it to Draisaitl or Bouchard. McDavid would have to completely crap the bed (which doesn't seem likely) to even start to counteract the narrative the media has of him finally getting his long deserved cup.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Draisaitl leads the team in neither goals nor points, so its not really relevant

Reactions: Voight

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He won't win it if he is just good and Edmonton loses. If he goes off but the team sucks then I think he actually has a good chance.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Draisaitl leads the team in neither goals nor points, so its not really relevant
Do you know what "if" means? Because Draisaitl is only 3 points back from McDavid and has more goals. So McDavid with 7 goals, 32 assists and 39 points would be more deserving than Draisaitl with 14 goals 28 assists and 42 points? Come on.

I don’t think either is deserving in a losing effort. None can be said to have carried the team like Giguere did in ‘03 which is what would be needed for them to get a Conn Smythe in a loss.

Reactions: LTIR

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It’s only happened once and it was when a goalie was essentially unbeatable dragging a bad Anaheim team to within one win of a Cup.

McDavid has been amazing, but Edmonton wish also a good team with other players putting up great performances on his team as well.

It’s not going to happen barring him scoring like 4pts/game in a 7 game losing effort (while the rest of his teammates play terrible)

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He would have to do 4+ pts a game and score or set up game tying goals that send multiple games to overtime in a 7 game series with nobody on Florida particularly shining for this to even be considered.

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It’s only happened once and it was when a goalie was essentially unbeatable dragging a bad Anaheim team to within one win of a Cup.

McDavid has been amazing, but Edmonton wish also a good team with other players putting up great performances on his team as well.

It’s not going to happen barring him scoring like 4pts/game in a 7 game losing effort (while the rest of his teammates play terrible)

He would have to do 4+ pts a game and score or set up game tying goals that send multiple games to overtime in a 7 game series with nobody on Florida particularly shining for this to even be considered.

The all-time record for points in a final is 13 points

It sounds like you guys are suggesting that even if McDavid somehow scord 28 points in this final in 7 games - he still wouldn't even be guaranteed the smythe, unless rest of his team sucked and/or no Florida player shines.

Jeez...

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Okay maybe more like 2.5 pts a game then.. Either way he'd have to be the only reason the Oilers make it a tight series the way Giguere did for the ducks.

Reactions: nbwingsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad