Music: Hypothetical changes that you think would have improved albums

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Cool thread idea, I've been thinking about this myself with a few albums recently. Here are some revised tracklists:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Getting Better
4. Fixing A Hole
5. She's Leaving Home
6. Lovely Rita
7. Penny Lane
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
10. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
11. Within You Without You
12. Good Morning Good Morning
13. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
14. A Day In The Life

Removed "When I'm 64" and added the two singles. I also split the tracklist into a McCartney-focused side and a Lennon-focused side.

MF DOOM - MM.. FOOD
1. Beef Rap
2. Hoe Cakes
3. Potholderz (featuring Count Bass D)
4. One Beer
5. Deep Fried Frenz
6. Kon Karne
7. Kon Queso
8. Rapp Snitch Knishes (featuring Mr. Fantastik)
9. Vomitspit
10. Kookies (Original Version)

Removed the long stretch of skits in the middle of the album and "Guinnesses" (a filler track that DOOM doesn't even rap on). I also prefer the original version of "Kookies" that I assume was altered due to issues clearing the Sesame Street sample.

Reactions: CycloneLaunch

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cool thread idea, I've been thinking about this myself with a few albums recently. Here are some revised tracklists:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Getting Better
4. Fixing A Hole
5. She's Leaving Home
6. Lovely Rita
7. Penny Lane
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
10. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
11. Within You Without You
12. Good Morning Good Morning
13. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
14. A Day In The Life

Removed "When I'm 64" and added the two singles. I also split the tracklist into a McCartney-focused side and a Lennon-focused side.
I've been struggling to nail down the same change myself. I really don't want to mess with the flow of Sgt. Pepper's too much, so I went with this.

1. Sgt. Pepper's
2. With a Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy in the Sky w/ Diamonds
4. Getting Better

[Removed Fixing a Hole]
[Added] 5. Strawberry Fields Forever
6. She's Leaving Home
7. For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
8. Within You, Without You

[Removed When I'm 64]
[Added] 9. Penny Lane
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning, Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's (Reprise)
13. A Day in the Life

Still doesn't feel like perfect placement to my ears (Getting Better -> Strawberry Fields is a bit awkward), but I think these two really fit in right at home with this album and makes it so much more compelling and tight. A lot more worthy of competing w/ VU & Nico than it otherwise would be.

Regarding other Beatles albums, I think that Paperback Writer and Daytripper would have been perfect additions to Revolver and Rubber Soul, respectively, but that Rain and We Can Work it Out wouldn't fit the albums very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey 48

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Remove all the covers from 80s Megadeth albums. Ok maybe These Boots can stay, but I Ain't Superstitious and Anarchy of the UK need to go.

Remove the terrible Cloudbusting cover from Novembre's Novembrine Waltz. Completely breaks the flow of a fantastic album.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I just finished my Spotify playlist of the Beatles. Listened to ever album from start to finish and picked out 112 songs of theirs that I really liked.

In terms of stylistic approach to their discography, I feel like with everything from "Help!" onwards, none of the individual albums have the specific style some of you are locking it into. There are a couple of songs on each album that have a specific style that remind you "Oh this is when they went to India", "Oh this is when they took a bunch of LSD", or "Oh this is where Lennon and McCartney started maturing and wanted to branch out into their own thing". In general though, most any song from "Help!" and on fits with any album they put out.

It's all just Beatles music for the most part, IMHO of course.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I think Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon shouldn't have any fadeouts, have more raw production, have a bit more of the war metal sound of their releases prior to said album (like more brutal blast beats, for instance), and maybe take out one of the filler songs from toward the end. It could have been one of the greatest metal albums ever, but it is still top 50ish in my book.

Probably just a personal preference but I wish Mersey Paradise was on the Stone Roses debut somewhere
I'd say "Love Spreads", which is also from Second Coming, would also be better on the debut album. That way all the good stuff would be in one place.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just finished my Spotify playlist of the Beatles. Listened to ever album from start to finish and picked out 112 songs of theirs that I really liked.

In terms of stylistic approach to their discography, I feel like with everything from "Help!" onwards, none of the individual albums have the specific style some of you are locking it into. There are a couple of songs on each album that have a specific style that remind you "Oh this is when they went to India", "Oh this is when they took a bunch of LSD", or "Oh this is where Lennon and McCartney started maturing and wanted to branch out into their own thing". In general though, most any song from "Help!" and on fits with any album they put out.

They all have a similar stylistic approach, but that doesn't necessarily make them interchangeable from album to album. Certain songs sound distinctly like singles and would feel out of place on an album, IMO. I'd hate for Hey Jude to appear in the middle of Revolver. My biggest hang-up stylistically is when they shoe-horn in a light-hearted toe-tapping ditty like "When I'm 64" into something creatively inspired, interesting, and exciting like Sgt. Pepper's. Putting Revolution 9 on any album that doesn't have the particular "throw everything against the wall and see if it sticks" mentality of The White Album would be nuts as well.

It's not a science, but I think there are probably all kinds of nuances that affect how well something works within an album. And while I think they had a few missteps and occasionally weak material on a lot of their albums, they were actually really great at getting the flow of their albums just right.

Don't know if this is what you're implying, but I think merely treating their output as an arbitrary list of songs would be doing a disservice to their album work personally.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Remove every skit from every hip-hop album. Has there ever been one that isn't instantly skippable?
The skits I do enjoy ("The Illest Villains", "Beef Rap", "Striving for Perfection". "The Genesis") are generally album intros that set the tone of the tracks to come. After I've heard an album once I pretty much always skip any skits that are in the middle of the tracklist, even ones that do build on the concept or theme of the album (think Kendrick Lamar albums).

I don't really agree with this. The more stripped down, folkier cuts on "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" wouldn't feel right to me on the more elaborately orchestrated "Sgt. Pepper's" or the psychedelic "Magical Mystery Tour".

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
The Who - Lifehouse

never heard of it before?
Albums That Never Were: 2016
as a lifelong Who fan(especially Who's Next, Quadrophenia and Odds & Sods) this was a fascinating read for me.

I believe the OP and a few others are Velvet Underground fans, this might interest you:
Albums That Never Were

check out the blog archive for more albums that never were from Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Traveling Wilburys, Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, Neil Young, Wilco and many more.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Additional Thought:

What if "And Justice For All" had the exact same kind of overall production that "Ride The Lightning" or "Master of Puppets" had?

Especially with the drums.

I perfectly understand why people want those changes on Justice. Just for me though it's perfect the way it is. I really think the production suits the atmosphere of the album.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
An obvious one that I just remembered: At the Base of the Giant's Throat needs to be the last song on Battle of Mice's A Day of Nights. The climax of the song is perfect for closing the album (which is already one of my all-time favorites). Cave of Spleen is a fine song but it doesn't work at all as a closer and I'd even be fine with not having it on the album at all.

Listening to the song again, I really can't understand why it's not last. It's just so perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad