Proposal: Hurricanes-Maple Leafs

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Fair enough. Two of Sparks, Picard or Mac are waived or traded, correct?
The Leafs, flexing their financial might, have given each of their goalies a poison pill contract to try and dissuade other teams from picking them up off waivers.
McElhinney earns an NHL salary of $850,000 regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.
Pickard earns an NHL salary of $800,000 regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.
Sparks earns an NHL salary of $675,000 regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.
Even their fifth string goalie, Kaskisuo, will earn a minimum of $100,000, slightly more than the regular AHL salary of $70,000.

Looking at what happened last year to Vegas it's obvious that you can't have too much depth in goal.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Leafs, flexing their financial might, have given each of their goalies a poison pill contract to try and dissuade other teams from picking them up off waivers.
McElhinney earns an NHL salary of $850,000 regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.
Pickard earns an NHL salary of $800,000 regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.
Sparks earns an NHL salary of $675,000 regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or the AHL.
Even their fifth string goalie, Kaskisuo, will earn a minimum of $100,000, slightly more than the regular AHL salary of $70,000.

Looking at what happened last year to Vegas it's obvious that you can't have too much depth in goal.

Carolina is pretty close to the cap floor. Those salaries may be a poison pill to some cap strapped teams, but they wouldn't make the Canes blink if we think one of Mrazek or Darling is not going to work.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Carolina is pretty close to the cap floor. Those salaries may be a poison pill to some cap strapped teams, but they wouldn't make the Canes blink if we think one of Mrazek or Darling is not going to work.

A team would probably be fairly desperate to consider McBackup and Pickard though in tandem starter duty in the NHL. If I were the Leafs, I'd probably convert my least favorite goalie into a draft pick if possible at some point during the season after the waiver draft.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
So we trade Pesce for Gardiner then convert Gardiner to RD so we can have Hamilton, Gardiner, Faulk and TVR on the right side?

You have an answer for everything a canes fan posts but you keep making less and less sense.

Hamilton and Gardiner on the same team, lol. Oh the laughs that would be had.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

It's not for the cap strapped teams that it is an issue it's for budget teams because even though the salary won't cost against the cap when they are in the AHL it will be an NHL salary instead of just $70,000.
I think that the Leafs would like to move one for something before the season starts but would like to keep the rest.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
What just for Mckeown? Surely it couldn’t take much. I’m not asking for Pesce or Slavin or Faulk.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What just for Mckeown? Surely it couldn’t take much. I’m not asking for Pesce or Slavin or Faulk.

It's this problem where trading McK forces us to keep both Faulk and TVR or go out and acquire a RHD to serve as an injury fill-in/depth guy because the rest of our quality RHD (Luke Martin, Adam Fox) is in college or not yet close to NHL-ready.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Mckeown is a very good young prospect who is very close to NHL ready. He would probably already be playing on a team with less defensive depth. He will be seeing more NHL time with CAR this year as our 7th/8th defender. He would not come cheap just because of the depth CAR has.

Reactions: Unsustainable

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can't see anybody trading assets for Sparks. He's not that good and there are a ton of similarly skilled goalies out there that the Canes could get for a song.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad