OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLV: Y2K Twenty-Four Years Later

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Weird. But theoretically you could see any of his tweets if you had the link, correct?

I’m playing around with it too, it seems like it’s not just “old” tweets but some algorithm showing you “popular” tweets (everything I’m seeing has above average rts for a guy like Walt), maybe there’s a sort setting. Idk. Point being, you can see any public tweet as long as you have access
Kind of, but not really. Unless I see a link to a specific tweet for a person, if I search for that person (Walt or Dreger in my examples) without an account, it's not easy to see current tweets and impossible to see replies. So a blocked person would have to spend a lot of time / effort to see tweets and cannot see replies, unless I'm missing something.
. But I suppose the experience of still getting them in your feed would be slightly different than today so perhaps it is a small change (albeit, not one that gives you any “more” access than before).

If someone’s tweets are public, and you really want to see them even if you’re blocked, you can see them. Heck, if you care enough about it you could create a burner and go bug them again. Maybe this prevents that. Idk, still doesn’t bother me that much as a change.
True, you could created a 2nd account. The change clearly doesn't bother me as I don't have an account.

As for why Elon/X is making the change? It don't know the base reason (Political, ego, monetary, etc...), but companies like X don't make changes like this unless it benefits them. If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably ad/money related more than anything but who knows.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
As for why Elon/X is making the change? It don't know the base reason (Political, ego, monetary, etc...), but companies like X don't make changes like this unless it benefits them. If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably ad/money related more than anything but who knows.
I honestly think they're doing it because he's been blocked by so, so many people that he's just flatly unable to see a hefty chunk of content on the site, so this is making sure he isn't cut off anymore.

Which, lol

Reactions: Blueline Bomber

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I honestly think they're doing it because he's been blocked by so, so many people that he's just flatly unable to see a hefty chunk of content on the site, so this is making sure he isn't cut off anymore.

Which, lol

Well, shortly after he took over, he adjusted the algorithm to ensure his tweets were at the top of every feed, which is when I blocked him. I imagine many people did the same. I still occasionally see some of the tweets he makes, mostly due to people screenshotting them and posting it on their tweets (since that prevents engagement on the original tweet). And nothing I've seen from him has made me believe blocking him was the wrong move.

I've also blocked so many ads that all I see are Chiitan and random tweets from people that inexplicably decided to buy ad space to declare their foot fetish.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Kind of, but not really. Unless I see a link to a specific tweet for a person, if I search for that person (Walt or Dreger in my examples) without an account, it's not easy to see current tweets and impossible to see replies. So a blocked person would have to spend a lot of time / effort to see tweets and cannot see replies, unless I'm missing something.

True, you could created a 2nd account. The change clearly doesn't bother me as I don't have an account.

I’m not sure how it’d be ad money related, unless the people doing the ads are the ones blocking their potential viewers and then turning around and getting mad that those people can’t see their tweets?

Actually, maybe that is it. Now the Canes can block people who say “I hate Tom Dundon” or whatever and curate their responses while still ensuring people see all of their tweets.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Another added wrinkle is if they do go through with this new blocking system, Twitter might end up banned in many countries that require the ability to block users. Canada, for example, is one such country under their anti-hate speech law

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad