OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Unless I am missing what Hill did, I think the circumstances are different enough to be obvious why they are not making Hill jokes: nobody condones what he did or is trying to normalize it. The "Catholic guy" on the other hand gets a lot of support for what he is saying, so people that believe differently push back to try and stigmatize that type of thought. For the most part, that is not necessary for what Hill did because it is already considered by almost everyone to be wrong.
the cheerleader acted like what the kicker did was a horrible crime, where Hill committed a horrible crime and is still employed.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Ok, but this topic started from Seinfeld’s quote:

“It used to be you would go home at the end of the day, most people would go, ‘Oh, Cheers is on,” he said in the interview. “‘Oh, M.A.S.H.is on, oh, Mary Tyler Moore is on. All in the Family is on.’ You just expected, there’ll be some funny stuff we can watch on TV tonight. Well, guess what? Where is it? This is the result of the extreme left and PC crap and people worrying so much about offending other people. When you write a script and it goes into four or five different hands, committees, groups — ‘Here’s our thought about this joke’ — well, that’s the end of your comedy.”

I’m not sure “political correctness” is the reason those shows aren’t on TV anymore. And as previously discussed, there are sitcoms that are currently on air that fly in the face of political correctness. Always Sunny is the perfect example of that. So his complaints about political correctness ending comedy seems unfounded.

It's really just about unfunny people meddling making things worse. There's a great Showtime/BBC2 show called "Episodes" that is based on this point. You know network shows all have producers trying to make jokes less offensive, add marketability, add diversity, work in a cute dog, etc...

That's why Always Sunny is able to do well, because it's on FXX. That station probably doesn't even have the budget to have 5 network producers. But that situation is nothing like 8pm, Thursday night on NBC where 30 million people were tuning in weekly.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
But what has he done since then? Movies about bees and pop tarts? I’ll admit there are some good episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee but his complaints about movies being dead and tv comedy being in jeopardy just came across as being salty he doesn’t have it anymore. People do go watch movies and tv when they’re actually good. That’s a studio thing not an audience thing.

Larry David>Jerry Seinfeld
I'd suggest it was Seinfeld's choice not to get involved heavily in TV again. When you are worth a Billion $ why hassle yourself with another series and the workload that comes with it.

He also was able to spend time with his young family.

I'd add he still does shows and we've seen him both in NC and FL within the last few years; the shows were hilarious (mostly clean humor too) and all were sell-outs (it wasn't all old people like me there either).

btw: he is right about comedy being challenged in this cancel culture era. It's impossible to say anything without someone(s) being outraged.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I love Seinfeld (show)… I’ve seen every episode probably 5+ times now… Seinfeld the comedian.. not so much.

Larry David was the genius behind the show. I don’t really think that is a debate. George was essentially a caricature of LD… a ton of the crazy scenarios in the show really happened to him. The overall quality of the show took a nose dive when LD left after season 7.

I’ve never been able to enjoy Seinfeld’s standup, it’s just boomer humor to me (no disrespect to the boomers here), but I personally agree that political correctness has definitely influenced comedy in a negative way.

He should probably be a little less public about his views on cancel culture though… people may start to remember when he dated a 17 year old (that he met when she was 16) when he was pushing 40.

Reactions: raynman and cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad