Proposal: Hurricanes - Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
So, I’m a Canucks fan whose second favourite team is the Hurricanes. I know the Nucks aren’t winning shit this year so I’m trying to figure out a trade that would help my 2nd fav team win a cup.

To Hurricanes:
JT Miller MAX retention

To Canucks:
Necas
One of: Drury/ Honka

Thoughts from both sides.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Thank you, can we please put these necas for Miller offers to bed? Being a Canucks fan, why would hurricanes trade necas?

Most teams have a small window to compete for a cup. I feel that the Canes is right now. Necas is a nice player but he doesn’t make them a competitor. My logic was that Miller would have a bigger on ice presence for the Hurricanes current windows and Necas would be a piece they could part with to hopefully win a cup.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Most teams have a small window to compete for a cup. I feel that the Canes is right now. Necas is a nice player but he doesn’t make them a competitor. My logic was that Miller would have a bigger on ice presence for the Hurricanes current windows and Necas would be a piece they could part with to hopefully win a cup.

The Canes whole philosophy is that they want to compete for a cup for longer than just 1.5yrs. Necas helps them in that regard a heck of a lot better than Necas does

Edit- heh, 2 Necas’ are better than one

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
The Canes whole philosophy is that they want to compete for a cup for longer than just 1.5yrs. Necas helps them in that regard a heck of a lot better than Necas does

Edit- heh, 2 Necas’ are better than one

I think having a team that competes forever is a fantastic idea but is it realistic. Every team has a window filled with chemistry and core players. The Canes is now IMO and I respect if you disagree.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is not even a little bit close from a Hurricanes perspective. Although I can understand why Canuck fans want to try to get Marty Nachos on their team after he torched them on his birthday a few days ago.

If a team wants Necas they are going to have absolutely blow the Canes away with an over the top offer. Otherwise it’s not even worth discussing.

EDIT: Also very big LOL at asking for either Drury or Honka as an add on

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

At a minimum, the core of this team is signed through 2024, and Aho, Teravainen, and Pesce will all be under 30 when that UFA status hits so they could be signed to another contract if desired.

Add in Necas, Jarvis, Kotkaniemi, Bear, and DeAngelo who are all RFAs to sign and there is plenty of opportunity to extend that window. The biggest question mark will be who takes over in goal after Andersen/Raanta in 2023, but that gives Carolina another 1.5 years to assess the farm system and determine if they need to go back on the market for a goalie.

There are plenty of signings to make as there are with any team, but this roster still ranks 17th in the NHL in average age. Between that and the contract status of core players, there isn't a huge need to sacrifice the future for a shorter-term veteran.

I can see Carolina dealing prospects for a prime-age NHL regular with a few years left on his deal, but that would also help extend the window rather than make a 1+ year rental.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Swap Necas for Jarvis?

That may be even worse for Carolina. What Jarvis is doing at the age of 19 in the NHL is remarkable. And it’s not just collecting points. He’s not a prospect anymore he’s a teenager excelling in an advanced top 6 scoring role. I don’t think he’s even remotely available to talk about unless it is for a front line player in that 23-25 age bracket who has a cost controlled long term deal. JT is great but he’s definitely not that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Swap Necas for Jarvis?

Doubtful. Carolina's MO since Waddell/Dundon took over is to go after assets who's value has degraded in hopes that they can get a higher level of play from them, while not giving up high end assets/futures. It's "mainly" worked, but not always.

Rask for Nino
EDIT: Roy and a late pick for Haula (coming off of an injury)
Wallmark, Haula, Priskie, and Luostarinen for Trocheck.
Signing DeAngelo
Foegele for Bear
Signing Mrazek
Trading Darling for Reimer (who was a good backup for Carolina)
Signing Frederick Andersen and Raanta
Taking on Marleaus contract for a 1st round Pick.
A late round 1st (in a draft where Carolina already had Toronto's 1st as well) for 5 years of Brady Skjei
Kotkaniemi for a late 1st round pick

etc..

Most, but not all, of those have been pretty successful and the Canes were able to build the team through drafting, developing and acquiring assets in this manner. I'll never say never with this front office, but it seems a bit out of character for them to now part ways with someone like Necas or Jarvis, who are budding stars that will be under team control for many years. If they run into contract issues with Necas, then maybe they'd take a different approach, but other than that, I would be a bit surprised.

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
So, I’m a Burger King fan whose second favourite restaurant is my own bank account. I know the King ain’t making me shit this year so I’m trying to figure out a trade that would help my 2nd fav fundage go up.

To BK:
My continued patronage

To me:
100 dollars
One of: Whopper/ Chicken Sandwich

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Acquiring a player like Miller will be difficult for Carolina. Lebrun reported that Necas was "off limits" back this summer when the Canes were inquiring about various players (including Eichel). Unless there are bad contract issues, I don't see them changing their tune now. Jarvis is going to be a stud and when guys like Trocheck, Nino, etc.. move on to greener pastures and/or get a raise in Carolina, they need guys like Necas and Jarvis.

Canes also don't have a 1st this year and I'd be surprised if they gave up a 1st round pick in two consecutive drafts. guys like Bokk don't have much, if any value right now and a lot of their other prospects are still a bit of an unknown, even if they are promising.

If Miller gets traded, I think he will get a 1st, and some combination of prospects/young players. I will be surprised if guys like Necas or Jarvis are involved if a deal happens with Carolina.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Necas is too established now to be part of that deal. Looking more at Jarvis.

but the Canes have cap room next season, it’s this season where it’s super tight. They even dress fewer than 18 skaters already this season due to Covid.

I would think the Canucks would rather take a player back like Stepan or even Fast who is under contract next season vs retain. Even neider to make the cap hit match.

Carolina is going to have to get creative if they wish to add barring someone landing in ltir for the remainder of the season.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
So, I’m a Burger King fan whose second favourite restaurant is my own bank account. I know the King ain’t making me shit this year so I’m trying to figure out a trade that would help my 2nd fav fundage go up.

To BK:
My continued patronage

To me:
100 dollars
One of: Whopper/ Chicken Sandwich

Burger King says no and counters with a watery lukewarm milk shake

Reactions: AD Skinner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad