GDT: Hurricanes at Islanders | Saturday, 7PM | SportSouth

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
The Imperfect Storm

EXTREME WEATHER ALERT: The NHL team based in Raleigh, NC has intensified into a comical storm from a topical depression and is expected to make landfall Saturday on Long Island. Those in the area are advised to seek shelter at high ground with a television set and numerous alcoholic beverages, which are critical for surviving such events. Stay tuned for further updates.

As many of you know, Gloucester, Mass Long Island is a small New England city with a rich history deeply rooted in the fishing industry none of that, actually. In its nearly 400-year history, many seafaring men have sailed from this quaint crowded settlement, but not all return. You may recognize one of its more famous inhabitants from the boxes of Gorton's fish sticks.

hrmp80.gif

Tonight, the Carolina Tropical Storms, which recently became more uplifting than the Carolina Tropical Depressions despite the cooling Atlantic waters, are expected to bear down on America's Oldest Seaport Long Island. In their path is Billy Tyne/George Clooney John Tavares, captain of the Andrea Gail NY Islanders, and his crew of five 19 men. To prevent the ruin of their fishing hockey season (ed. note: OK, not quite that serious), the men must survive this not-quite-daunting storm, which previously left the city of Toronto in shambles after an epic troll job jointly orchestrated by Ron Hainsey and the end boards at the Air Canada Centre.

TONIGHT'S MATCHUP

2s1ptmw.jpg

From left: M. Grabner, A. MacDonald, C. Clutterbuck, J. Tavares, K. Okposo, E. Nabokov (14 others not pictured)

vs.

2vmelcg.jpg

Carolina Hurricanes (3-2-3)
Lineups
Ruutu - E. Staal - Semin
Gerbe - J. Staal - Tlusty
Skinner - Nash - Dvorak
Bowman - Dwyer - Westgarth/Sutter

Sekera - Faulk
Bellemore - Hainsey
Harrison - Murphy

Ward
Peters

Injuries
Lindholm - upper body, day-to-day
Gleason - concussion, day-to-day
Khudobin - lower body, short-term IR

NY Islanders (3-2-2)
Lineups
Grabner - Tavares - Okposo
Bouchard - Nielsen - Bailey
Moulson - Regin - Clutterbuck
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

MacDonald - Hamonic
Visnovsky - Hickey
Strait - Donovan

Nabokov
Poulin

Injuries
none

Someone feel free to post any corrections to the lineups, I'll be away from the computer all day. Our lines were taken off the Hurricanes website because we basically used 10 forwards last time, and Muller's been juggling them, so I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited:

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
5-1 win. Ron Hainsey scores all 6 goals from our own end of the ice and as Tavares is bound to have points against us he somehow ends up assisting on all of them.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Can I just say F--K sportssouth. Instead of a perfectly reasonable HD feed on FSC, I get to zoom in on a double-lettered boxed SD channel that looks worse than a russian webstream.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I would like to see Skinner on the first line if Muller thinks Tlusty is such a hinderance there now. and seeing Nash as third line center never ceases to **** me off. IMO he is an offensive black hole and his defensive skills are of AHL quality only, his draw stats being about par for the course.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
So, I'm wondering which will be a higher total today...

Passing touchdowns by either Tajh Boyd or Jameis Winston...or points scored by Tavares?:laugh:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I would like to see Skinner on the first line if Muller thinks Tlusty is such a hinderance there now. and seeing Nash as third line center never ceases to **** me off. IMO he is an offensive black hole and his defensive skills are of AHL quality only, his draw stats being about par for the course.

Skinner makes the third line dangerous as a scoring line, while Nash makes up for Skinner's defensive deficiencies. Along with Dvorak on that line, Muller has found a gem I believe. Good balance. E Staal and Semin should be able to carry whoever on the first line, just leave Tlusty there and the chemistry will come. It's not his fault that the other two aren't showing up. He's only responsible for himself.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Yes.

Can I also bet my vCash that the shut-out will still result in some people think Cam is **** and needs to go away?

I suppose you can but apparently according to this thread thus far, some people believe that this game is the "John Tavares show" and that is cause for a 5-1 loss even if Ward has a good game.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Gerbe-Staal-Dwyer
Skinner-Nash-Ruutu
Bowman-Dvorak-Westgarth

Sekera-Faulk
Harrison-Murphy
Hainsey-Komisarek

Wait, what? Why are we dressing Westgarth again, and removing Bellemore from the lineup after he had a bounceback game?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
4 days off after this game. Staal's can handle the extra 4th line minutes.

Nash is a placeholder on the 3rd until Lindholm gets back.

The Isles have a lot of physical depth in their forward lines. Seems like a good game to get Komi into the mix.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
But Harrison and Komi bring twice the veteran presence!

Really though, it doesn't matter. Harrison, Komi and Bellemore all have a little less foot speed that might be needed against some of the more speedy Islander forwards.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Gerbe-Staal-Dwyer
Skinner-Nash-Ruutu
Bowman-Dvorak-Westgarth

Sekera-Faulk
Harrison-Murphy
Hainsey-Komisarek

Wait, what? Why are we dressing Westgarth again, and removing Bellemore from the lineup after he had a bounceback game?

Komi's from Long Island, so I'm guessing that's your answer. He let Bellemore play in Ontario where he's from despite the fact that he probably earned a game in the press box. The Islanders have a few guys that have been known to do some damage with their bodies so this isn't one of those no reason at all to play Westgarth games. Especially since it's now a divisional matchup. That's in theory at least. I don't necessarily agree with ever playing Westgarth, but if he's drawing a salary this is the kind of game I would expect him to be dressed for.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Komi's from Long Island, so I'm guessing that's your answer. He let Bellemore play in Ontario where he's from despite the fact that he probably earned a game in the press box. The Islanders have a few guys that have been known to do some damage with their bodies so this isn't one of those no reason at all to play Westgarth games. Especially since it's now a divisional matchup. That's in theory at least. I don't necessarily agree with ever playing Westgarth, but if he's drawing a salary this is the kind of game I would expect him to be dressed for.

You should know by now that logic isn't allowed on this board. Only reactionary rage/disgust posts are permitted.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Skinner makes the third line dangerous as a scoring line, while Nash makes up for Skinner's defensive deficiencies. Along with Dvorak on that line, Muller has found a gem I believe. Good balance. E Staal and Semin should be able to carry whoever on the first line, just leave Tlusty there and the chemistry will come. It's not his fault that the other two aren't showing up. He's only responsible for himself.

perhaps, but I don't believe you can just put 'anyone' with Alex and Eric (see Bowman for eg.). he needs to have some smarts and be able to get into position and finish. Skinner should be able to (but if productive elsewhere, fine). Ruutu should have been able as well but I guess he has just lost too much of his game now. Dvorak might be great up there as well. but yeah, I do think that with Tlusty they can all get going again. most teams seem to be having similar issues this early.

however IMO, so far it seems like the demands put on them to contribute to the new all team defense strategy has really cut into their sole focus, being offense. and, they were always defensively responsible anyhow.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
But Harrison and Komi bring twice the veteran presence!

Really though, it doesn't matter. Harrison, Komi and Bellemore all have a little less foot speed that might be needed against some of the more speedy Islander forwards.

Defensively, I'd say for sure on Harrison having a night off. But his offensive game is what sets him apart from Komi and Bellemore. It's nothing earth shattering, but he can make passes, and get shots on net. Something the other two haven't shown they're capable of. And when partnering with Murphy, you want someone else who is at least a bit competent on the offensive side of things.

That's my guess anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad