OT: Hurricane Milton

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018
I get why people are buying all of the water and bread, but every store around here is completely out of eggs. I don't get it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Good morning
Storm prep and concern from my location and perspective in Dunnellon, Florida 80 - 90 miles north of Tampa.

Still watching the track of the storm. I have seen these things change direction in the last few hours just before landfall many times. Will know better this evening.

It's rained alot around here the last several weeks the ground is moist and soft which means I expect a lot of downed trees. High winds and soft soil - roots won't hold. I don't have any trees near the house so no problems directly here. But trees falling on power lines and blocking roads could be an issue.

I have plenty of Propane for the grill, 35 - 40 gal trash buckets to catch water for toilet flushing, pet water and food, about 8 40 count packs of 20oz water bottles, 5 - 5gal drinking water jugs 3 - 1 gal bottles, plenty of food ... just don't open freezer unless absolutely needed, refrigerator as little as possible. Candles / flashlights ... vehicles to recharge phone if and when needed , full tank of gasoline, camping tent in jeep in case of worst case scenario.

I just continue to hope the storm passes far enough south to keep us on the outer bands of the storm. Winds here will be out of the southeast and east (backside of house) as the storm makes landfall and moves across state. Once storm is about half way across the winds will shift to the northeast, north and finally northwest as it approaches the east coast and exits the state.

Meteorologists are saying the strongest tropical storm force winds will be along the northern section of the storm as it passes over the state, so there is still concern over random hurricane force gusts (strength unknown) that could do damage. The wind field is expected to grow significantly once or as the storm makes landfall. Tropical storm force winds already now extend 145 mile from center. Tampa is approximately 80 - 90 miles away. So hopefully the storm continues to drift more southward. But with that said I expect tropical storm force winds to encompass most of the peninsula portion of the state at some point as the storm expands in size.

Thankfully, hurricane force winds currently only extend 30 miles from the center, but I expect that to change and enlarge as well as it makes its way in and across.

I hope I'm wrong and all reports are wrong, and we only get rain and breezy conditions like so many other storms, but we may still be in for a long night and morning. As long as we stay out of sustained hurricane force winds, we should be fine even if we lose power for a while (days).

Ever stick your hand out a car window while driving down the highway at 60 - 70 mph? Feel the force of the wind against your hand and arm? Now double that force 120 - 140mph blowing against you and sustained for several hours. I want to avoid the sustained hurricane force winds for any length of time. Even tropical storm force winds 45 - 74mph over time are going to cause some amount of damage. The further away from the center, the better. Say a prayer for us and all people in it's path.

We used to fill our bathtub with cold water. Can be used to drink, wash & flush.
Also, if you have an upright washer we used to fill with ice. Last days to help store perishable stuff.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
IMG_4160.jpeg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I get why people are buying all of the water and bread, but every store around here is completely out of eggs. I don't get it.
Hope you are staying safe and are as prepared as possible!

I never understood the eggs part especially in hurricanes. Snow I get. Food prep perhaps? Unless the eggs are fresh and unwashed, they have to be refrigerated. I'd love to read a study on why people buy certain items when there is an impending storm expected to impact their area.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hope you are staying safe and are as prepared as possible!

I never understood the eggs part especially in hurricanes. Snow I get. Food prep perhaps? Unless the eggs are fresh and unwashed, they have to be refrigerated. I'd love to read a study on why people buy certain items when there is an impending storm expected to impact their area.
In Tennessee when there's more than an inch of snow predicted, everyone buys cheese. It's both hilarious and annoying lol

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
just got off the phone with my mom in naples. lots of tornado's around and it's starting to get very windy and its raining. the projected cone has dipped south from tampa so thats worrying. hoping for the best to all affected

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad