OT: Hurricane Milton - ( no politics)

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I have a friend who lives in Florida on the Atlantic side but his daughter lives in Sarasota. The company she works for has opened the building to employees - it is built to withstand cat 5 storms. I still don't know if I would want to stay but understand the logistics of getting out of the way are limited.

Fenway, I hope you don't get any water damage. How close to the coastline is your place?

Reactions: JAD

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It is sad that there is little talk about Mexico, it must be devastating and the people have so little. This meteorologist gets it, the emotion is real. This is a killer storm and global warning means more of this to come, more often.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
All we can do is watch and pray

FULL DISCLOSURE - I own property in Madeira Beach and I have insurance for wind damage but not water.

I paid off the mortgage 3 months ago after 30 years

I used to live in Pinellas Park and always enjoyed going to Madeira Beach. Still have quite a few friends in the Tampa area.

I don't want this hurricane to hit anywhere, but we know that won't be the case. At least if it wobbles a little further south, it won't be as bad for a lot of people I know personally. I hope your property avoids significant damage. Do you have anyone that can check on it for you after the storm?

If it hits at a certain point south of Tampa, it could actually drain the bay significantly.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is sad that there is little talk about Mexico, it must be devastating and the people have so little. This meteorologist gets it, the emotion is real. This is a killer storm and global warning means more of this to come, more often.

thankfully it mostly went north of the Yucatan so it was just a glancing blow to the peninsula (the eye never came close to making landfall). Not to say it didn't do damage, they got a lot of rain and a lot of flooding, but had it made landfall at the strength it was there, it would have been devastating .

Reactions: BigGoalBrad and JAD

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
my mom is in Naples and my wife and her mom are currently in St Augustine. praying for all that are affected

boo Milton!

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Lived in Pasco for a long time, also Pinellas and Tampa so I know a lot of people down there. Hoping it's not too bad but looking like the TB area and St Pete are gonna get it badly.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Mom's cousin is in Bonita Springs. From the sounds of it, she got everything taken care of but mom wasn't sure what her plans were in terms of evacuation.. She was due to have surgery this week but obviously that wasn't happening. During Ian, she was recovering from shoulder surgery. We now joke that she's not allowed any more surgeries unless it is February.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I feel like it is too late.
I have the same fear.

I was looking at the atmospheric set up that is steering Milton and thank god for the jet stream ejecting it into the open Atlantic. The gulf stream that runs up the eastern seaboard is a balmy 85 degrees. I don't want to think about what could have happened after it crossed Florida.

Reactions: caz16 and lopey

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Good morning
Storm prep and concern from my location and perspective in Dunnellon, Florida 80 - 90 miles north of Tampa.

Still watching the track of the storm. I have seen these things change direction in the last few hours just before landfall many times. Will know better this evening.

It's rained alot around here the last several weeks the ground is moist and soft which means I expect a lot of downed trees. High winds and soft soil - roots won't hold. I don't have any trees near the house so no problems directly here. But trees falling on power lines and blocking roads could be an issue.

I have plenty of Propane for the grill, 35 - 40 gal trash buckets to catch water for toilet flushing, pet water and food, about 8 40 count packs of 20oz water bottles, 5 - 5gal drinking water jugs 3 - 1 gal bottles, plenty of food ... just don't open freezer unless absolutely needed, refrigerator as little as possible. Candles / flashlights ... vehicles to recharge phone if and when needed , full tank of gasoline, camping tent in jeep in case of worst case scenario.

I just continue to hope the storm passes far enough south to keep us on the outer bands of the storm. Winds here will be out of the southeast and east (backside of house) as the storm makes landfall and moves across state. Once storm is about half way across the winds will shift to the northeast, north and finally northwest as it approaches the east coast and exits the state.

Meteorologists are saying the strongest tropical storm force winds will be along the northern section of the storm as it passes over the state, so there is still concern over random hurricane force gusts (strength unknown) that could do damage. The wind field is expected to grow significantly once or as the storm makes landfall. Tropical storm force winds already now extend 145 mile from center. Tampa is approximately 80 - 90 miles away. So hopefully the storm continues to drift more southward. But with that said I expect tropical storm force winds to encompass most of the peninsula portion of the state at some point as the storm expands in size.

Thankfully, hurricane force winds currently only extend 30 miles from the center, but I expect that to change and enlarge as well as it makes its way in and across.

I hope I'm wrong and all reports are wrong, and we only get rain and breezy conditions like so many other storms, but we may still be in for a long night and morning. As long as we stay out of sustained hurricane force winds, we should be fine even if we lose power for a while (days).

Ever stick your hand out a car window while driving down the highway at 60 - 70 mph? Feel the force of the wind against your hand and arm? Now double that force 120 - 140mph blowing against you and sustained for several hours. I want to avoid the sustained hurricane force winds for any length of time. Even tropical storm force winds 45 - 74mph over time are going to cause some amount of damage. The further away from the center, the better. Say a prayer for us and all people in it's path.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The Bolts board has a thread for the hurricane. Definitely take a minute to send them well wishes.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Good morning
Storm prep and concern from my location and perspective in Dunnellon, Florida 80 - 90 miles north of Tampa.

Still watching the track of the storm. I have seen these things change direction in the last few hours just before landfall many times. Will know better this evening.

It's rained alot around here the last several weeks the ground is moist and soft which means I expect a lot of downed trees. High winds and soft soil - roots won't hold. I don't have any trees near the house so no problems directly here. But trees falling on power lines and blocking roads could be an issue.

I have plenty of Propane for the grill, 35 - 40 gal trash buckets to catch water for toilet flushing, pet water and food, about 8 40 count packs of 20oz water bottles, 5 - 5gal drinking water jugs 3 - 1 gal bottles, plenty of food ... just don't open freezer unless absolutely needed, refrigerator as little as possible. Candles / flashlights ... vehicles to recharge phone if and when needed , full tank of gasoline, camping tent in jeep in case of worst case scenario.

I just continue to hope the storm passes far enough south to keep us on the outer bands of the storm. Winds here will be out of the southeast and east (backside of house) as the storm makes landfall and moves across state. Once storm is about half way across the winds will shift to the northeast, north and finally northwest as it approaches the east coast and exits the state.

Meteorologists are saying the strongest tropical storm force winds will be along the northern section of the storm as it passes over the state, so there is still concern over random hurricane force gusts (strength unknown) that could do damage. The wind field is expected to grow significantly once or as the storm makes landfall. Tropical storm force winds already now extend 145 mile from center. Tampa is approximately 80 - 90 miles away. So hopefully the storm continues to drift more southward. But with that said I expect tropical storm force winds to encompass most of the peninsula portion of the state at some point as the storm expands in size.

Thankfully, hurricane force winds currently only extend 30 miles from the center, but I expect that to change and enlarge as well as it makes its way in and across.

I hope I'm wrong and all reports are wrong, and we only get rain and breezy conditions like so many other storms, but we may still be in for a long night and morning. As long as we stay out of sustained hurricane force winds, we should be fine even if we lose power for a while (days).

Ever stick your hand out a car window while driving down the highway at 60 - 70 mph? Feel the force of the wind against your hand and arm? Now double that force 120 - 140mph blowing against you and sustained for several hours. I want to avoid the sustained hurricane force winds for any length of time. Even tropical storm force winds 45 - 74mph over time are going to cause some amount of damage. The further away from the center, the better. Say a prayer for us and all people in it's path.
Stay safe

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The Bolts board has a thread for the hurricane. Definitely take a minute to send them well wishes.

Nice idea. Boston got support when we needed it. Come on Bs fans....reach out to the folks in the path of this terrible storm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad