Post-Game Talk: Huberdeau sets new all time points record with 420 in a 8-4 beatdown vs Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Math should have helped Ek with the 2 Laughs (Hyman) in front, his positioning doesn't do much of any good except be the first guy to retrieve the puck from the back of the net. Whatever, it was a PK, a guy is bound to be open somewhere, I just prefer not the guy standing on top of the crease point blank.

Lazy play by everyone, Marner gets an easy shot.

Everyone just skating back instead of Dads electing himself to stand up Tavares at the blueline, JT uses Dads as a screen.

No reason this should be a 3-on-1 for the Laughs with a 7-3 lead. Barky needs to get it in deep, not smart puck management at all.
Marner nets his second goal

No video. Then the disallowed goal with 7:00 mins left in the game 8-4. Our forwards get caught in Laughs zone, leaving just Ek and Math defending. Ek presses on Matthews, but Math allows Marner to get by him, Driegs comes out aggressively and makes the stop. Math doesn't get or clear the rebound out, no one picks up the trailer Ceci and Driegs still in the splits stops Ceci, but the puck goes up over him and bats it in high past the goalie Matheson.

Not complaining that we got the win, but only the first period was our defense good. Our offense obviously won us the game tonight.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

This gives me goosebumps

He actually should’ve been captain. Barkov makes sense, but huberdeau has been here the longest of the core, he’s now the franchise leader in assists and points, and he plays with more of an edge and attitude (dude attempted to fight chara like twice). Not to bash Barkov, just more of a compliment to huberdeau

side note: driedger still had over a .900 sv % for the game and is 5-2 now lol

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Math should have helped Ek with the 2 Laughs (Hyman) in front, his positioning doesn't do much of any good except be the first guy to retrieve the puck from the back of the net. Whatever, it was a PK, a guy is bound to be open somewhere, I just prefer not the guy standing on top of the crease point blank.

Lazy play by everyone, Marner gets an easy shot.

Everyone just skating back instead of Dads electing himself to stand up Tavares at the blueline, JT uses Dads as a screen.

No reason this should be a 3-on-1 for the Laughs with a 7-3 lead. Barky needs to get it in deep, not smart puck management at all.
Marner nets his second goal

No video. Then the disallowed goal with 7:00 mins left in the game 8-4. Our forwards get caught in Laughs zone, leaving just Ek and Math defending. Ek presses on Matthews, but Math allows Marner to get by him, Driegs comes out aggressively and makes the stop. Math doesn't get or clear the rebound out, no one picks up the trailer Ceci and Driegs still in the splits stops Ceci, but the puck goes up over him and bats it in high past the goalie Matheson.

Not complaining that we got the win, but only the first period was our defense good. Our offense obviously won us the game tonight.

We simply were better at the barnburning tonight, we were far from dominant. A truly great team wouldn't have let them get more than a couple tonight, they had nothing going until we gave them chances. We still have a lot of work to do. But definitely a step in the right direction, and a big win in a big game.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Nice to see 8 goals but why the hell cant we defend? Game was 7-1 at one point. Did we just sit back again / individual mistakes or what was it? We need to fix this defensive play

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
A lot of Leafs fans are saying that they outplayed the Cats except for goaltending. I could have sworn one was called leafdetta.

The sane ones there disagree and call out several of their top players as not having been ready at all.

I don't put a lot of stock in what the Leafs fans are saying in their GDT. I looked after people made some comments about it, and from what I saw, they were mostly melting down over our fans singing Goodbye in the third period and making fun of attendance.

In other words,

And really, I don't blame 'em. Had to suck to watch that game as a Leafs fan. I think they just gave up ANOTHER two on one break.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
One of the reasons were not a playoff team. We cant play 60 mins
The amount of games where teams that are up by 5 goals at the 30 minute mark win by 5 is probably under 10%. All teams do it. This game was never close.

I get the sentiment that you want to win 10-1 but that never really happens.

edit: also, check the standings, in a spot for at least 1 night... :)

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
I want to see the same killer instinct vs Philly. Those will be crucial, we take both of those and can take a lead on a team we will be competing for a spot with

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Big game and what a win. Important two points in the division.
If Trocheck is back (and the signs have been encouraging) that would be huge...
Barkov getting a goal and three points is also nice (though TBH was never too worried about his down streak).
Huberdeau has already been awesome last year but this year he's been a revelation. What a player. Just give him and Barkov some playoff success - the guys are clearly friends, like playing together and sound attached to this maddening team, we need them both to re-sign when the time comes...
Driedger allowed four goals on 47 shots against one of the best offensive teams in the league. Happy with the effort.
Happy that Stillman is having a decent rookie season. Has been my favorite 2016 draft prospect after Borg.
Really happy with Hoffman's effort lately! Don't think we should re-sign him but if he can keep this up and be our "internal rental", that's great :)

In other news, Tampa's winning steak is over (by the Devils, no less). Don't really expect us to catch them but wonder if they have a little losing streak now... often happens after these long win streaks. Their next six are all West teams and mostly bad ones... guess we'll see.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
PK goal differentials for this season:

PlayerTOIGFGAGF-GA
Colton Sceviour108:40019-19
Anton Stralman107:43112-11
Noel Acciari101:22019-19
Aaron Ekblad84:31215-13
Mike Matheson65:0538-5
Frank Vatrano52:49220
MacKenzie Weegar52:0608-8
Aleksander Barkov47:46220
Riley Stillman27:2403-3
Josh Brown17:5401-1
Vincent Trocheck16:58110
Brian Boyle16:4203-3
Mark Pysyk14:5801-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Just went over to the Leafs board. Damn those fans are dumb lol.

They just spew analytics thinking their team played a great game and they "deserved to win".

Florida took their foot off the gas after it was evident this was no contest. Leafs gave up like ten 2-on-1s and somehow they blame their goaltending saying it was only their goaltenders fault lollllll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad