Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Who did we get with the second round pick that was part of the Hronek trade?
The trade went like this:

Hronek + 2023 DET 4th
<>
2023 NYI 1st (Axel Sandin Pellikka) + 2023 2nd (#43 overall)

At draft, Yzerman traded that #43 down to get #47 (Brady Cleveland) and #147 TBL 5th (Kevin Bicker).

So finally it was:

4th + Hronek <> 1st + 2nd + 5th

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Hronek + 2023 DET 4th
<>

At draft, Yzerman traded that #43 down to get #47 (Brady Cleveland) and #147 TBL 5th (Kevin Bicker).

So finally it was:

Glad we got Kevin Bicker the needle mover!

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This contract (and then some) will be needed for Ed in a couple years. In a vacuum the things Hronek does is probably worth $6-7M. But those aren't the kinds of things Steve wants to pay that kind of money/term to a D.
Exactly. Players are no longer getting paid just at their UFA contract. Now with kids getting big money on their 1st RFA contract you have to play for that kind of pay day. Seider is going to get 8+, Ed if he even gets to consistent top 4 guy by the time he hits RFA in a couple of years is probably going to command 5 mil low end and possibly another 8 if he takes off like Seider did. Then you have a guy like ASP that has a lot of development to do but by staggering his dman Stevie has the potential of staggering that cap out a bit and now having to be hit with 3 big dman contracts all at once prior to the Wings contention window opening.

I like Hronek as a dman but he isn't someone you build around. He's the guy you add as the 3rd complimentary piece on your defense when you are in that contention window. Wings aren't there year so potentially messing up your cap structure doesn't make sense.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Hronek + 2023 DET 4th
<>

So finally it was:

Uhg,,,, lol

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I always disliked Hronek as a player. He have enough defensemen that have mobility issues and are prone to brain farts.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
We make the playoffs with Hronek on this team. I understand the trade and appreciate the long term vision - ASP might be incredible. But we sacrificed quite a bit in the short term with that deal

I’d much rather pay Hronek that money and term than Copp or Chiarot…
We also make playoff with Edvinsson playing the whole season in the NHL.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't hate the contract for VAN. Hronek seems injury prone. And his playoff games were icky.

I like the fact that ASP could potentially be better than Hronek in the long run. Hronek was going to be pushed down the depth chart in a few years here. VAN desperately needed him.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
There was never a scenario where the Wings could sign Hronek for the money he was seeking, they were going to need to trade him eventually

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hronek trade made a signing like Gostisbehere possible. Ghost took his offensive role, and was better. Both were poor defensively.

It has nothing to do with Copp or Holl.

Last edited:
Reactions: wings95

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He said copp and holl not holl and petry

And no, Copp is not a better or more impactful NHL player than Hronek..

Come on man
I can read. I exchanged Petry because keeping Copp makes us a better team than moving on from Copp and keeping Hronek. $5.5-6Mish (ie Holl and Petry) would be ok value for Hronek.

Copp is better defensively than Hronek and they provide similar levels of offense.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Over/Under on SE putting up 50pts next year?

Comparing Hronek today to SE today is utter nonsense
Edvinsson didn‘t need to score 50 points in order for Red Wings to make playoffs.

I‘m not comparing Edvinsson to Hronek (who never scored 50 himself), I‘m saying that Red Wings didn't need Hronek to make playoffs.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Hronek trade made a signing like Gostisbehere possible. Ghost took his offensive role, and was better. Both were poor defensively.

It has nothing to do with Copp or Holl.
Hronek isn't a great PP QB. He's a good 2nd Dman option on a PP1 much like Kronwall, Schneider, Rafalski etc were. He leans more skating and shooting than puck possession. Ghost was a much better QB and I don't think its entirely coincidence that our PP improved this past season.

I think Hronek is a bit better defensively than Ghost but Ghost was a guy we could stick on the 3rd pair and roll out on the PP. Hronek is and expected 1st/2nd pair guy but really needs help defensively to do that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hronek isn't a great PP QB. He's a good 2nd Dman option on a PP1 much like Kronwall, Schneider, Rafalski etc were. He leans more skating and shooting than puck possession. Ghost was a much better QB and I don't think its entirely coincidence that our PP improved this past season.

I think Hronek is a bit better defensively than Ghost but Ghost was a guy we could stick on the 3rd pair and roll out on the PP. Hronek is and expected 1st/2nd pair guy but really needs help defensively to do that.
Just because Rafalski and Kronwall played with Lidstrom doesn’t mean they weren’t great PPQB’s. I mean if you don’t think Rafalski was a great PPQB, I don’t know what to tell you.

Same thing with Hronek on a team with Quinn Hughes. Hronek is top 30 in power play points among defenseman over the last 2 years, that doesn’t happen by “magic”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad