How your favorite team ranks in its own market?

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
1a. LA Dodgers
1b. LA Lakers

If both teams are having winning seasons, the Lakers will be overall more popular. That's because their ability to pull in bandwagon casual fans is unprecedented. So they have a higher ceiling.
If both teams are having terrible seasons, the Dodgers will be more popular. That's because they have more ride or die fans. So they have a higher floor.

Still going down

#3. LA Rams

4. La Clippers

5. Las Vegas Raiders

6. LA Chargers....it's not our team everyone thinks they should be in San Diego

6. Surfing

7. Volleyball

8. LA Kings

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Not a Jackets fan but a native Clevelander I would bet the Jackets the strangest ranking.

In Cleveland they would be
1. Browns
2. Guardians
3. OSU
3. Cavs
4. Jackets
With the Bucks and Guards swapping from year to year.

In Cincinnati it would be
1. Reds
2. Bucks
3. Bungs
4. Jackets

In CBuS it would be
1. Bucks
2. Browns/Bungs
3. Guardians/Reds
4. Crew/Jackets
2,3, and 4 depend on how the teams are doing at the time.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Phoenix Suns

Phoenix Cardinals
ASU Football

Diamondbacks

WM Open

Mercury

Rising

Barrett Jackson Auction

Climbing Camelback

A night out in old Scottsdale

Spring Training

Utah Hockey Club

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Hard to say, Penguins, Pirates and Steelers are equally wasting legendary talent because of morons running the team and owning the team in 2 of the cases, could be argued for all 3 as well.

They're consistently incompetent though, so I guess there's that.

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
NY Teams in Major Pro sports look like this in terms of following/fanbase size. Can vary by specific region but general NY area/globally it would look like this.

Yankees

Knicks

Giants
Nets

Jets
Mets/Rangers

Islanders
Where do you live here?
In no world, now or past, in NYC metro, are the nets more popular than the Rangers or Jets. Never was and never will be.
Even when the nets were here in Bergen county nj and winning ecc’s they still did not have the following of the Jets and Rangers. Even with Bruce”I can’t remember how much if I douche I am “ Willis sitting court side pretending to be a fan

Last edited:

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
NY Teams in Major Pro sports look like this in terms of following/fanbase size. Can vary by specific region but general NY area/globally it would look like this.

Yankees

Knicks

Giants
Nets

Jets
Mets/Rangers

Islanders
You really believe the nets? The Brooklyn(try to be as glamorous as Gotham and will never be and try to be as tough as the Bronx, and THAT will never be) nets have a bigger following and fan base that the Rangers and Jets??
I mean I get trying to get a reaction for likes here but this is just stupid

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
New York might as well be more than one market, with the Bronx and Manhattan making one fanbase, and Queens and Brooklyn making another and of course North Jersey.

Problem is the Nets were never popular in North Jersey, moving them to Brooklyn probably cost them Jersey fans and didn't steal any Knicks fans, I'd put the Nets last out of the four major sports teams.

Knicks
Yankees
Giants
Mets
Rangers
Jets
Islanders
Devils
Nets

Keep in mind that New York fandom is VERY regional, most Yankee fans hate the Mets, Jets fans hate the Giants, etc. However, most New Yorkers can agree to like the Knicks, so they get top billing.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Probably along these lines just based off my own personal observations, minus looking at attendance and revenues.

1. Golden Knights
2. Sizable gap
3. Raiders
4. UNLV NCAA sports/LV Aces (WNBA)
5. Henderson Silver Knights (AHL)
6. Las Vegas Aviators (minor league baseball)
7. Las Vegas Lights FC (league below MLS, I almost never see anyone wearing their merch or talk about them)
8. Las Vegas high school sports, primarily Bishop Gorman
9. Las Vegas Nighthawks (indoor soccer team, literally the only time I ever heard of them was my sister taking my nephew to a game when she got free tickets)

I know I'm coming off as biased because I'm a hockey fan in Vegas but the reality, from what I've seen, is that while the Raiders put up good attendance numbers I think it comes more from the luxury of getting to go watch an NFL game than a big base of passionate fans. I see the occasional guy wearing a t-shirt or jersey or car decal, but for the most part I never really hear people talk about the Raiders whereas with the Golden Knights I see their gear/merch just about every day, car decals, lawn flags, hats, etc. almost everywhere I go (but I'm mostly around the "nicer" part of town, e.g. Southwest Las Vegas and Summerlin, sometimes Henderson).

The Henderson Silver Knights pull bigger crowds than I thought they would. Seems like an option for parents who want to take their kids to do something fun without breaking their wallets trying to get into T-Mobile arena for VGK games. I know I do that with my nephew.

This all may change when the Athletics move in to town and when the Golden Knights start to decline, but by my observation, the VGK campaign to influence locals to appreciate them more for being home grown rather than the Bay Area's sloppy seconds, coupled with a cup win has really worked out for them to be at the top. There's also plenty of residual goodwill from their inaugural season being so excellent in the wake of the city's biggest tragedy. You'd think two championships would make the LV Aces more popular but the WNBA is still finding it's footing.
I'd like to see the Desert Dogs (NLL) gain some more traction, problem is Lacrosse is even more niche than hockey. Also not sure how much the A's change things, from those I know there seems to be a warmer reception for a zombie apolcalypse than the A;s but maybe things have warmed on that front.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd like to see the Desert Dogs (NLL) gain some more traction, problem is Lacrosse is even more niche than hockey. Also not sure how much the A's change things, from those I know there seems to be a warmer reception for a zombie apolcalypse than the A;s but maybe things have warmed on that front.
I honestly forgot we had a lacrosse team too.

No I agree I doubt the A's coming will move the needle much. Like people will go to have MLB baseball to watch but I think it will take a long time for them to build a dedicated fanbase.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Dallas Cowboys
Bitching about the Cowboys/Jerry Jones

College Football (Specifically UT/OU/A&M/Texas Tech/Baylor...etc)
Texas Rangers
Mavericks

Stars

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I honestly forgot we had a lacrosse team too.

No I agree I doubt the A's coming will move the needle much. Like people will go to have MLB baseball to watch but I think it will take a long time for them to build a dedicated fanbase.
probably doesn't help that John Fisher makes Peter Karmanos look like Jeff Vinik in terms of investing in the team.

Reactions: sabremike

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I can't speak on the rest of the franchises in Detroit or their popularity, but the Lions are the undisputed top right now, which is actually f***ing crazy since they've been dogshit my entire life.
I grew up in Cleveland-ish and it still baffles me that the Browns are the undisputed #1 in the Cleveland market, no matter what. Indians/Guards go to the World Series or have the best record in baseball at the Allstar Break? Lead story on local sports media will be about Browns training camp in Berea.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
probably doesn't help that John Fisher makes Peter Karmanos look like Jeff Vinik in terms of investing in the team.
Yeah there's something to be said about getting these Bay Area teams as a result of a lack of commitment to the locale and community that probably gives prospective Vegas fans pause. If either team gets truly competitive in the playoffs, this could all change, but for the time being, the VGK have a stranglehold on the market.

Reactions: DaveG

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Canucks are a distant 4th in their own market. Not to other sports teams. There's nothing...though the Soccer team is gaining a little steam i guess. CFL is irrelevant there, NBA left because a lot of things and the fair weather fan thing, MLB isn't a thing.

Canucks just take a back seat to at least a few other activities and/or other individual/personal sports. And just...an enormous amount of people who don't care about sports whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad