How your favorite team ranks in its own market?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Vikings

Twins/Wil
d

Timberwolves(except for the last year or so, when they have actually generated some excitement, and filled the place. Prior to that they were so bad, for so long, that it wore away at the crowds).

Gophers used to be a big deal, but again, mediocrity has hurt them in football and hoops, while the B10 conference in hockey, which might benefit them in their pocketbook, has killed the crowds that used to fill up Mariucci arena.

Basically, the Wild have been filling their arena since they came back to town. I think that things are about to turn for the worse, though, unless they make some sort of playoff run. Their is a fatigue with their consistent mediocrity. Also, Kaprizov not getting re-signed would be another reason not to support the team.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I live in Durham but I don't follow anything but the Canes. Where do the Hornets fall?

I mean even here in Charlotte the Hornets aren't all that beloved. The novelty of rebranding from the Bobcats back to the Hornets was 10 years ago and they currently have the longest playoff drought in the league. The old-timers love to talk about the days with Muggsy and Mourning but barely know who's on the roster now.

I don't think even the old Hornets caught on in Raleigh, it was always ACC and everything else is second. Hell it took the Panthers a long time to catch on there and I think a lot of that goodwill is gone thanks to Tepper.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
:rangers

New York is all baseball and football, both always dominate the headlines, so the Rangers (or Devils or Islanders) never get the top headlines when baseball and football are in-season. Even the Knicks, the Maple Leafs of the NBA, get treated better than the NHL.

It's hard to break each team apart, but in terms of the media, it seems like this:

Yankees
Giants
Jets
Knicks
Mets
Rangers
Nets
Islanders
Devils

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Penguins are falling down the ranks as their championship hype is 7 years in the rear view. At one point it seemed like they were right behind the Steelers, but now that the core is aging and the playoffs haven't been in Pittsburgh for a couple years. No team will ever eclipse the Steelers here in Pittsburgh.

#1 Steelers
#2 Pitt Football
#3 Pitt Basketball
#4 Penguins
#5 Pirates
Agree with this. I would say that, depending on the particular time of season and success of each, 2-3-4 can change a tad.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh they're rank in our market alright

I bet the major league gaming squad ranks higher at this stage

Gretzky said it best, LA loves a winner, and out of the legacy franchises Kings are likely clearly behind Clippers/Lakers Dodgers Rams/Chargers. Out of the newer franchises, I'd be hard pressed to say they're above the MLS squads. The college teams are also resurgent while the Kings are on their way down and out. It might be a bloodbath decade for LA hockey. At least I can hope, we need blood running in the streets from this front office.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bears

Cubs

Big ten / Notre Dame college football

Bulls

Hawks

Sox

College football over the NBA? really? I'm surprised at that.

The Penguins are falling down the ranks as their championship hype is 7 years in the rear view. At one point it seemed like they were right behind the Steelers, but now that the core is aging and the playoffs haven't been in Pittsburgh for a couple years. No team will ever eclipse the Steelers here in Pittsburgh.

#1 Steelers
#2 Pitt Football
#3 Pitt Basketball
#4 Penguins
#5 Pirates

So what you are saying in Pittsburgh fans aren't real fans and are band wagon fans

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
So what you are saying in Pittsburgh fans aren't real fans and are band wagon fans
No that's not what I'm saying at all. For one, I can't imagine using the phrase "real fans" as a fully functioning adult.

Pittsburgh is undoubtedly a die-hard sports city... Steelers and Pitt fans are borderline rabid even with the Steelers being mediocre for quite some time now. But with the city's limited population it's not very realistic to expect that they'll be able to maintain high levels of fandom in hockey consistently when there are other more popular attractions in town. The fandom of hockey in general pales in comparison to NFL and college football, and even baseball in most areas.

There will always be some level of "band-wagon'ing" with any team. When they're more successful, fans who may not pay as much attention will be more intrigued to follow and watch. This is more apparent in cities with smaller populations that have competing sports.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Probably along these lines just based off my own personal observations, minus looking at attendance and revenues.

1. Golden Knights
2. Sizable gap
3. Raiders
4. UNLV NCAA sports/LV Aces (WNBA)
5. Henderson Silver Knights (AHL)
6. Las Vegas Aviators (minor league baseball)
7. Las Vegas Lights FC (league below MLS, I almost never see anyone wearing their merch or talk about them)
8. Las Vegas high school sports, primarily Bishop Gorman
9. Las Vegas Nighthawks (indoor soccer team, literally the only time I ever heard of them was my sister taking my nephew to a game when she got free tickets)

I know I'm coming off as biased because I'm a hockey fan in Vegas but the reality, from what I've seen, is that while the Raiders put up good attendance numbers I think it comes more from the luxury of getting to go watch an NFL game than a big base of passionate fans. I see the occasional guy wearing a t-shirt or jersey or car decal, but for the most part I never really hear people talk about the Raiders whereas with the Golden Knights I see their gear/merch just about every day, car decals, lawn flags, hats, etc. almost everywhere I go (but I'm mostly around the "nicer" part of town, e.g. Southwest Las Vegas and Summerlin, sometimes Henderson).

The Henderson Silver Knights pull bigger crowds than I thought they would. Seems like an option for parents who want to take their kids to do something fun without breaking their wallets trying to get into T-Mobile arena for VGK games. I know I do that with my nephew.

This all may change when the Athletics move in to town and when the Golden Knights start to decline, but by my observation, the VGK campaign to influence locals to appreciate them more for being home grown rather than the Bay Area's sloppy seconds, coupled with a cup win has really worked out for them to be at the top. There's also plenty of residual goodwill from their inaugural season being so excellent in the wake of the city's biggest tragedy. You'd think two championships would make the LV Aces more popular but the WNBA is still finding it's footing.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
College football over the NBA? really? I'm surprised at that.

Mainly because the Bulls suck.

If any of the local teams win a championship or have sustained success while the others are terrible they jump up to #2 or #3 for that period. But the default rankings are correct in the previous post.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Good news: The Sens don't have to compete with any other Ottawa teams in the big 4 sports leagues.

Bad news: They have to compete with the Leafs/Habs in Ottawa.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Dolphins
Heat
UMiami Football
Panthers
Marlins

Not sure how Miami FC ranks. Probably a good boost with Messi here but I can't comment on that at all.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
probably below Charlotte FC at this point locally (not even joking, you see CFC gear all the time in the state, Hornets stuff is pretty rare anymore outside of Charlotte).
Can confirm, I live near Charlotte. The Hornets have been a dumpster fire for so long, nobody cares about them right now. It's pretty much the Panthers and Charlotte FC above the Hornets (if you exclude college and AAA teams).

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
The Dolphins will always be #1 in South Florida, but the Panthers are definitely pushing for #2. These two long playoff runs have really energized and galvanized the area around the Panthers. They can do no wrong right now.
no way the Panthers are even close to the Heat in South Florida popularity. They could win 5 more titles and they still would be way behind the popularity of the Heat.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Panthers (Newton/Kuechly/Rivera era)
Duke Basketball
UNC Basketball
State Football
UNC Football
Hurricanes
State Basketball
Duke Football
Panthers (Tepper/Bryce Young era)