How your favorite team ranks in its own market?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Remember seeing this topic on a baseball forum once and it was an interesting read.

:canes

In the Triangle, they're behind ACC hoops and to a lesser extent football, but they've built a solid fanbase even with the decade of darkness. Another Cup win I think would do wonders for the younger fans who either don't remember 2006 or remember it vaguely. Participation in playing the sport jumped big time after that, and honestly the area could probably stand to use another rink or two.

The state as a whole, they're behind college sports and the NFL/Panthers but they've been the only good professional team here for about 5 years now and people have taken notice. Another Cup win would definitely get more attention than the 2006 win did.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
NY Teams in Major Pro sports look like this in terms of following/fanbase size. Can vary by specific region but general NY area/globally it would look like this.

Yankees

Knicks

Giants
Nets

Jets
Mets/Rangers

Islanders

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
NY Teams in Major Pro sports look like this in terms of following/fanbase size.

Yankees

Knicks

Giants
Nets

Jets
Mets/Rangers

Islanders

Ah good ol knicks. They can suck for the next 100 years and people will still go to games.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The Dolphins will always be #1 in South Florida, but the Panthers are definitely pushing for #2. These two long playoff runs have really energized and galvanized the area around the Panthers. They can do no wrong right now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Ah good ol knicks. They can suck for the next 100 years and people will still go to games.

Pretty much.

It's similar to the Maple Leafs being the most popular and highest valued NHL Franchise despite sucking ass for years.

Any NBA team with a long-ish history playing in middle of Manhattan in Worlds most famous arena is gonna have a massive following.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Bears and The Cubs are basically religions, they'll always be 1 and 2, regardless of how much they suck.

Blackhawks peaked at 3, could realistically get back there if they get consistently good again.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
NY Teams in Major Pro sports look like this in terms of following/fanbase size. Can vary by specific region but general NY area/globally it would look like this.

Yankees

Knicks

Giants
Nets

Jets
Mets/Rangers

Islanders
The idea that the Mets wouldn't be near the top here (much less near the bottom) is absolutely batshit crazy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The idea that the Mets wouldn't be near the top here (much less near the bottom) is absolutely batshit crazy.

?? Maybe in your specific region it differs? But globally and considering the NY area as a whole, I think it's accurate.

Lot of it is inherent to the sport, baseball is not as popular as football and basketball. The Yankees and their 27 World Series and being around for 60 more years, is an exception obviously.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
?? Maybe in your specific region it differs? But globally and considering the NY area as a whole, I think it's accurate.

Lot of it is inherent to the sport, baseball is not as popular as football and basketball. The Yankees and their 27 World Series and being around for 60 more years, is an exception obviously.
Literally anywhere the Mets play there will be lots of Mets fans in the stands. The only reason the Jets or Knicks winning it all might be bigger than the Mets winning the WS is that both have 50+ year droughts. In fact now that I think about it the two biggest most celebrated champions in NY sports history are the 69 Miracle Mets and the 86 Mets.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
The season when the Sabres won the presidents trophy Sabres were the hottest ticket in town and it was electric on game night. I remember driving through predominantly black neighborhoods ( demographic that historically doesn’t watch hockey as much as white folk ) and people were wearing Sabres hats. Nowadays it’s the Bills but depends on current success. Right now the Bills are vividly more popular. Sabres will always be at worst #2 in Buffalo

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
The cardinals are and will be number one in St. louis. Just the way it is. Since the rams left, blues took over number two by default. Granted we’ve made up a lot of ground with strong teams and making the playoffs over the last decade and a half but there’s no way to unseat the cardinals from the top spot here.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The Penguins are falling down the ranks as their championship hype is 7 years in the rear view. At one point it seemed like they were right behind the Steelers, but now that the core is aging and the playoffs haven't been in Pittsburgh for a couple years. No team will ever eclipse the Steelers here in Pittsburgh.

#1 Steelers
#2 Pitt Football
#3 Pitt Basketball
#4 Penguins
#5 Pirates

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

In the region of New York it differs. You have the Mets way too low and the Nets way too high.

I have literally never met a Nets fan.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Remember seeing this topic on a baseball forum once and it was an interesting read.

:canes

In the Triangle, they're behind ACC hoops and to a lesser extent football, but they've built a solid fanbase even with the decade of darkness. Another Cup win I think would do wonders for the younger fans who either don't remember 2006 or remember it vaguely. Participation in playing the sport jumped big time after that, and honestly the area could probably stand to use another rink or two.

The state as a whole, they're behind college sports and the NFL/Panthers but they've been the only good professional team here for about 5 years now and people have taken notice. Another Cup win would definitely get more attention than the 2006 win did.
I live in Durham but I don't follow anything but the Canes. Where do the Hornets fall?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
In Regina the market is very split. Oilers are probably the most popular hockey team right now, but there are lots of Leafs, Flames, and Jets fans. Strong Canucks, Habs, Bruins, Red Wings, and Knights representation too.

I'd rank it.

1. Oilers
2. Roughriders (CFL)
3. Leafs
4. Jets
5. Flames
6. Bluejays (MLB)
7. Raptors (NBA)

Since we're not really close to any NHL team it's easy for people to float on the bandwagon

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00