How young is too young to attend an NHL game?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How young is too young to attend an NHL game?

• You’re never too young

Votes: 34 20.9%
  • One and under

Votes: 21 12.9%
  • 1-3

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • 3-5

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • 5-10

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 10-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-20(darn teenagers?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • If you have to ask, don’t do it.

Votes: 7 4.3%

• Total voters

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
This one is for the other parents here. I’m afraid I haven’t been to see an NHL or AHL game since my daughter was born in March of 2022, but it is something I miss. She’s had some exposure to NHL games via television during the playoffs and knows daddy loves hockey, but has been limited otherwise as we tend to frown upon television while she’s awake.

She’s pretty quiet overall and well tempered, but she is 2 and occasionally gets lost in her emotions.

When did you guys take your kids to their first game? Or perhaps if you’re younger, when did you first go with your parential figures? Just looking for some guidance before spending the money as games aren’t that cheap these days.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This one is for the other parents here. I’m afraid I haven’t been to see an NHL or AHL game since my daughter was born in March of 2022, but it is something I miss. She’s had some exposure to NHL games via television during the playoffs and knows daddy loves hockey, but has been limited otherwise as we tend to frown upon television while she’s awake.

She’s pretty quiet overall and well tempered, but she is 2 and occasionally gets lost in her emotions.

When did you guys take your kids to their first game? Or perhaps if you’re younger, when did you first go with your parential figures? Just looking for some guidance before spending the money as games aren’t that cheap these days.
Once they can sit, watch and handle staying up late. Seems like a waste of time and money otherwise.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If my nephew who loves sports is any indication 6-7 is the best window to get them started. I've taken him to five hockey games between the AHL and NHL since he turned 5 and he really only focused on the game his last two. His first NHL game I think he was overwhelmed by all the noise and the sheer number of people.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I brought my then two 1/2 year old to the Senators skills competition.

We had seats right at the glass.

It’s a good introduction event to the arena because it took place in the afternoon and there were a lot of kids in attendance. It also didn’t take as long as a full game.

The sound of the PA and the music can be deafening for small children so bring ear defenders for them. The crowds during intermissions can be a lot for a young child as well.

I’ll probably wait at least another year or so (he is now 3) for a real game as his attention span for a whole game may be problematic.

If you don’t mind leaving early, no worries there.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My son was born May 29th 2022 and went to his first game that pre-season, in late September. So he was about 4 months. He’s been to 6 now and is about 2.25 year old. He’s also named Henrik and had his first jersey before he was born so…

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Depends on if you plan on getting into a fist fight in the upper bowl or not
It’ll probably be a Ducks game so doubtful anyone gets that passionate. I’ll avoid the Kings until she’s a great deal older. There’s also the added benefit that the game will probably already be over at the start of the second if she makes us leave early. :(

It’s sounding like the general consensus is a little older than she is now. If I were to bring her what would your recommendations be? I assume headphones are a given given the noise levels in the stadium.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'd wait until they ask to go

If they aren't excited about hockey it probably won't change anything

Reactions: Chainshot

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Depends on the kid and the time. An afternoon game for a three or four year-old seems fine to me. A night game for anyone under the age of seven or eight seems like you're asking for trouble.

I don't understand the appeal of taking a baby or a toddler to any game. Sounds like an easy way to cause a bad time for your kid and ruin a good time for you.

Note: I'm a dad with a six year-old son. We took him to an SPHL game last season, will be taking him to several ECHL games this season, and are hoping to take him to his first NHL game next season.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Took my daughter at like one and a half. She loves it. Just got the best headphones I could find, that cannon is loud lol.

Id recommend getting seats where you have some room to roam if needed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Depends on the kid and the time. An afternoon game for a three or four year-old seems fine to me. A night game for anyone under the age of seven or eight seems like you're asking for trouble.

I don't understand the appeal of taking a baby or a toddler to any game. Sounds like an easy way to cause a bad time for your kid and ruin a good time for you.

Note: I'm a dad with a six year-old son.

Agreed. I think my son was six and playing mites when he went to his first games. He'd been in rinks for practices, riding around on his old man's back, all the way down to under 2. But it was a matter of asking, of him wanting to attend. I wasn't keen on taking him to something and wasting the time and money on it if it wasn't something he wanted to do. Once he went, his younger sister wanted to go as well and sadly the game was terrible but the dinner we had beforehand and having to run to catch the light rail to the game was fun and something we still talk about.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
cheering-baby-yeah.png

This legend changed my entire mental framework on this question

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
cheering-baby-yeah.png

This legend changed my entire mental framework on this question

That was a legendary moment, but the thing I always warn is to not judge parenthood solely by the happy pictures that get posted. The kid probably threw a temper tantrum five minutes later and shit themselves twice forcing them to leave after two periods.

Do you want to change diapers in a crowded arena bathroom? I sure as heck didn't!

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

I’ve taken my daughter to a Blue Jays game at 18 months - she loved the way the crowd reacted to hits and outs, she shouted “yaaaay” the entire three hours, it was adorable.

that was outdoors in a pretty cavernous facility in the Skydome - hockey being in a more condensed space might be uncomfortable for her.

But as long as you bring a set of those earmuffs, she should be fine.

I’d start her off smaller though - take her to a practice if those are open to the public. A junior game. I took mine to the Flames development camp scrimmage in July and she was fascinated for about ten minutes, and spent the next 50 putting play dough in my shoes.

So be prepared for that outcome as well.

I wouldn’t be paying extra to take a small child to NHL games with any regularity though.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter to them if they’re at an NHL game or the same park they go to every day - if they’re doing something with you, they’re thrilled beyond measure.

In my experience, anyway.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I took my daughter to her first when she was ~4. She did fine, but doesn't remember any of it even though Crosby had a 2G 1A night. Makes me rethink if it's worth it or not.

Reactions: shakes the clown

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I’ve taken my daughter to a Blue Jays game at 18 months - she loved the way the crowd reacted to hits and outs, she shouted “yaaaay” the entire three hours, it was adorable.

that was outdoors in a pretty cavernous facility in the Skydome - hockey being in a more condensed space might be uncomfortable for her.

But as long as you bring a set of those earmuffs, she should be fine.

I’d start her off smaller though - take her to a practice if those are open to the public. A junior game. I took mine to the Flames development camp scrimmage in July and she was fascinated for about ten minutes, and spent the next 50 putting play dough in my shoes.

So be prepared for that outcome as well.

I wouldn’t be paying extra to take a small child to NHL games with any regularity though.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter to them if they’re at an NHL game or the same park they go to every day - if they’re doing something with you, they’re thrilled beyond measure.

In my experience, anyway.
I live around ten minutes from the Toyota Arena where the Kings developmental team plays so I may do just that.

I can see her doing something similarly silly as putting okay dough in shoes after a few minutes though.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Family had Sabres season tickets since their inception, we were going to games before I even could recall. But mostly was running around the arena playing from what I have been told.

Different times !

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
If you're not gonna remember it, why am I bothering? That's pretty much how I look at it.

Do you carry that philosophy for all of your children's experiences under 5 years old?

I wouldn't take my 4 year old because she would want to be running up and down the aisles and probably enjoy the concourse more than the game - it wouldn't be an ideal experience I think 5+ is a better age. But not taking her because 'she won't remember' is absurdly cynical and really misses the essence of building a relationship and trust with our kids.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Family had Sabres season tickets since their inception, we were going to games before I even could recall. But mostly was running around the arena playing from what I have been told.

Different times !

My lower middle class grandparents had season tickets for the entire Gretzky Oilers dynasty.

2 seats, 1st row, second deck, blue line.

$20/seat per game.

Soviets teetering on the verge of collapse.

Better times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad