How will Lou/Shanny fix our defensive woes?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A starting goaltender that can play 55-60 games a year. That will be the top priority heading into the summer.

We have this guy named Bernier who gets 4+ mil next year, he is probably the starter. The question is who is the other guy ? Is it someone from the system ? A free agent ? A guy from trade ? Will he be old and seasoned or young and up and coming ?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's not really about honesty, nobody knows what's going to happen.

So his opinion went from "managing expectations" to "he doesn't know" ....you are contradicting yourself, either Babcock thinks that or he doesn't. Since he said it I am going to believe he thinks that and since he thinks that I am going to side with him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Babcock figures we will take a step back next year with the addition of the rookies. Let's not forget the gaping hole Dion left on our blue line. I think I will go with Babcock on this one.

not sure if you or Babcock noticed. But I searched the top 29 teams in the standings, and couldn't find a team coached by Mike Babcock. There's not really a step back to be made. We already walked right back into a wall.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So his opinion went from "managing expectations" to "he doesn't know" ....you are contradicting yourself, either Babcock thinks that or he doesn't. Since he said it I am going to believe he thinks that and since he thinks that I am going to side with him.

He's "managing expectations" by setting the bar low for next season as kids are brought up, but it's ultimately a prediction because nobody knows how any season plays out seven months before it even starts. He's most likely telling his true opinion, but sharing that opinion is still strategic.

Why is this so difficult for you?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
This could work for the time being:

Rielly(23 min) Demers(21 min)
Gardiner(20 min) Zaitsev(17 min)
Hunwick(22 min) Corrado(17 min)

Hunwick-Rielly pairing for 5 min a game.

*Cowen/Percy/Harrington

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He should probably play an NHL game or two before you make statements like this (and please do not make them on the main board), more than likely he is 2nd pairing material if all go's well.

He is well documented as the best defenseman outside the Nhl. He will be playing huge minutes when we get him. Brian McCabe type shot from the point with equal or better mobility.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't get what's the rush to jump to any conclusions about the nature of the future team. This team has maybe 3 or 4 players at most who'll be here in 2 years. In terms of the NHL team, the defense is closer to being set than any where else.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's "managing expectations" by setting the bar low for next season as kids are brought up, but it's ultimately a prediction because nobody knows how any season plays out seven months before it even starts. He's most likely telling his true opinion, but sharing that opinion is still strategic.

Why is this so difficult for you?

You're right. I don't think they have much of a shot next year at it but...

Add a Stamkos here, Hamonic there, Reimer stays on and is as solid as this year, Nylander is a success along with perhaps Marner and Kapanen and what do you know? Wildcard spot with some good fortune.

Calgary did it last year.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
As for not knowing what is coming up in the future that is true but.....I'm sure that Hunter already has a good idea of who and what is the plan at the draft. Sure its not set in stone especially our first pick being a lottery pick. Ya, having that #!D man would be great but if things worked out that we had 3 sets of good 2nd pairing guys that would also be great. And I'm sure both Rielly and Gardner are first pairing guys just not #1's.

If Leipsic is any indication of what we have of the Marlies next year will be very exciting! Leipsic is no where close to being a top prospect but he seemed to do just fine in his first game.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
He is well documented as the best defenseman outside the Nhl. He will be playing huge minutes when we get him. Brian McCabe type shot from the point with equal or better mobility.

5 years ago Fabiann Brunnstrom was the best forward not in the NHL. Got a hat trick in his first NHL game and that is still his biggest contribution at the NHL level, which he is no longer playing in.

6 years ago Brayden Schenn was the best prospect in the world and the best player not in the NHL. Since then he has developed into a decent second line forward, but no where near what he was hyped to be.

7 years ago Jonas Gustavsson was the best goaltender not in the NHL. Got shell-shocked and allowed 6 goals to the Capitals in his first career game and has since then become a career back-up goaltender.

Just last year Simon Moser led the KHL in scoring. He came to North America and could not crack the Predators line up and is now back in the KHL.

My point is this, just because Zaitsev is said to be "the best defenseman not in the NHL" does not make him a legitimate first pairing defenseman when he actually arrives in the NHL. Do i hope that he becomes a top flight defender for the Leafs? Absolutely, but until he plays a full season in the NHL i will reserve my judgement on him.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
To me, Year I was when they originally melted down and drafted Morgan Rielly. This is already Year V.

I'm going to have to disagree with that stance, some what.

This is year 1 of a organisational shift in it's mandate.

From ownership to management all the way down to the fans and media.

But, that's not to say we don't have some gravy kicking around on the team and in the system from a utterly disastrous mandate and management

covering the past 5/6 ish years.

This rebuild, our rebuild does have a head start in that sense.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I've suggested before to package bozak and Pittsburgh 1st to trade up to 10-12 and draft Juolevi..that would eventually ve paired with Reilly

oneoftheseyears

Sep 21, 2010
Halifax
I think Gardiner-Rielly could be a decent first pairing but ideally Rielly is on the second pair. I'd love to see our d core set up like this next year:

Gardiner-______
Rielly-Zaitsev
Marincin-Corrado

Would be awesome to trade JVR for Trouba to fill in that blank. Also, Gardiner is a first pairing d-man despite what some of you are saying.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Dubas has already told us.

They gather the best players who have the best combination of skill and IQ, develop them into the best players they can be, and the. You trade from your areas of strength to fill your weaker areas.

And this was exactly what Edmonton should have done a few years back, but did not. That and some iffy drafting in later rounds. I doubt the leafs make the same mistake.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think Gardiner-Rielly could be a decent first pairing but ideally Rielly is on the second pair. I'd love to see our d core set up like this next year:

Gardiner-______
Rielly-Zaitsev
Marincin-Corrado

Would be awesome to trade JVR for Trouba to fill in that blank. Also, Gardiner is a first pairing d-man despite what some of you are saying.

This is the best lineup I've seen so far in here. Unfortunately I think we'll be stuck with Hunwick for another year.

A JVR for Lindholm or Trouba deal would be amazing though.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
And this was exactly what Edmonton should have done a few years back, but did not. That and some iffy drafting in later rounds. I doubt the leafs make the same mistake.

I know it's hard for some to wrap their heads around but ummm

are we really sure EDM should have done ANYTHING different?

Lets face the harsh reality here , regardless how or why it happened, it still ended up happening

They got to draft the next GENERAITIONAL player

plus they have not pulled any moronic Burke/Kessel --Seguin/Eriksson trades

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know it's hard for some to wrap their heads around but ummm

are we really sure EDM should have done ANYTHING different?

Lets face the harsh reality here , regardless how or why it happened, it still ended up happening

They got to draft the next GENERAITIONAL player

plus they have not pulled any moronic Burke/Kessel --Seguin/Eriksson trades

Agreed. The Edmonton rebuild is going perfectly! :sarcasm:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
While I'm a fan of making a 4-4.5M offer to Demers, there's no guarantee that he wants to play in Toronto and even less of a guarantee that no one else offers more. Be could easily get a Petry contract, and I'd rather not see the Leafs offering him 5.5M+.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
5 years ago Fabiann Brunnstrom was the best forward not in the NHL. Got a hat trick in his first NHL game and that is still his biggest contribution at the NHL level, which he is no longer playing in.

6 years ago Brayden Schenn was the best prospect in the world and the best player not in the NHL. Since then he has developed into a decent second line forward, but no where near what he was hyped to be.

7 years ago Jonas Gustavsson was the best goaltender not in the NHL. Got shell-shocked and allowed 6 goals to the Capitals in his first career game and has since then become a career back-up goaltender.

Just last year Simon Moser led the KHL in scoring. He came to North America and could not crack the Predators line up and is now back in the KHL.

My point is this, just because Zaitsev is said to be "the best defenseman not in the NHL" does not make him a legitimate first pairing defenseman when he actually arrives in the NHL. Do i hope that he becomes a top flight defender for the Leafs? Absolutely, but until he plays a full season in the NHL i will reserve my judgement on him.

Thats fair enough to have reservations about a somewhat unknown. He is believed to be really good by some respected hockey people though.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Hey Cor I need to ask you

EDM rebuild not going perfectly :sarcasm:?

According to whom, exactly?

Non Edm fans?,

the media that just relishes the trade speculation angle for their own selfish purposes? media fodder

How about the folks putting their butts in the seats and paying the freight? How is EDMs attendance doing?

Frankly it's all hollow noise right now , the arena is still full

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I don't think the leafs are going to have a #1 defensive all-minutes horse. It strikes me as a market inefficiency. You pay too much and rely too much on one guy. Instead I see defence by committee where the whole group is better than average and cheaper as a whole.

Hopefully leafs are NHL 2.0 and lead the way in new thinking

Shwaguy*

I get a laugh at people who say Rielly can't be that Dman but Jones can.

They are both on equal footing, without a doubt.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
54 defencemen with 20 points or more. Split that up among the teams and the Leafs aren't that bad off really with just two young guys in Reilly and Gardiner. Besides a couple of D, many of the top defensemen are older. Leafs are okay. With Phaneuf gone, maybe that gives more role to the remaining and they'll go with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad