How to Keep Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Presumably you give up 4th OA if the goal is to bottom out.

So, for example, trade Karlsson for a couple top prospects and a pick.

Build around our young prospects; Brown, White, Chabot, Batherson, Formenton, and whomever we pick next season along with whatever returns we get from Karlsson (and likely Stone and Duchene given they probably don't want to re-sign if we go scorched earth).

Trading Karlsson, Stone and Duchene for futures packages likely would mean a top 5 pick in each of the next two drafts with a good chance at top 3 both years. This would be a much easier decision mind you if they hadn't tank-proofed the draft.
It's a sad state of affairs when that is actually a sensible idea and probably the most beneficial to the club

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Owner - Daniel Alfredsson.

Young Daniel does not have enough money to buy this team by himself. I doubt that he would put all of his capital into it if he became part of an ownership group. He would probably be a titular head.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If Melnyk sells, Karlsson might stay. If Melnyk is still the owner by September, there's absolutely no chance Karlsson stays.

Reactions: Rand0m

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
It's pretty simple. If Karlsson leaves (and Melnyk is still the owner of the Ottawa Senators), that's the last straw, and I'm done with the Sens, the NHL, and hockey in general.

I’m just done with Melnyk. That’s it. I can live with anything else but I refuse to give him another penny. Everything we have witnessed has his fingerprints on it to one degree or another except maybe this wife dispute. He can solve just about everything by selling the team. He seems more intent on taking the path of most resistance, fighting with the world; he’s not interested in what is best for the franchise and city and for that I’m done with him and the drama of this team. Smell ya later Melnyk.

Reactions: Sensung

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I am aware that it may not actually make a difference, but how come no one has created a petition that states we want Karlsson be kept no matter the cost, assuming we're all ok with him being payed whatever he thinks is fair value, not what the team considers fair value.

If I were to create one, do you think there would be strong support?

The only Petition that would count, would be season ticket purchases.

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
In spite of all this, I remain optimistic. I mean maybe Melnyk does care about the team and actually believes he can be cheap and make it work. Which is why he doesn't always get along with the team. He believes even as a lean organization that they have a chance and gets frustrated when things don't go well.

I need to believe this as all the talk about Melnyk selling the team doesn't seem likely. If we were to trade Karlsson as @Micklebot suggested, it needs to be for Dahlin this year.

Anyways, until next season starts, I'm going to keep hoping that something non-radical can happen and will keep the team together. I refuse to believe things are as bad as they are.

Go Sens Go, I say.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
In spite of all this, I remain optimistic. I mean maybe Melnyk does care about the team and actually believes he can be cheap and make it work. Which is why he doesn't always get along with the team. He believes even as a lean organization that they have a chance and gets frustrated when things don't go well.

I need to believe this as all the talk about Melnyk selling the team doesn't seem likely. If we were to trade Karlsson as @Micklebot suggested, it needs to be for Dahlin this year.

Anyways, until next season starts, I'm going to keep hoping that something non-radical can happen and will keep the team together. I refuse to believe things are as bad as they are.

Go Sens Go, I say.
The ONLY way to "keep the team together" is for Melnyk to sell.
He is THE problem and until he sells this shitshow will continue.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
If Melnyk sells, Karlsson might stay. If Melnyk is still the owner by September, there's absolutely no chance Karlsson stays.
I feel there's a fair chance we'll know much before September if Karlsson will still be in a Sens jersey this coming season.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Go Sens Go, I say.
Ahh yes that model. Be the lowest-spending team in the league but be a perennial contender at the same time...

Which team was it again that successfully did this?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not sure keeping either of these two guys is going to be healthy for this franchise given the media shit show that will follow this team everywhere they go & especially when they play each other which is bound to happen in the future. I would much rather see that crap with two other teams other than with Ottawa, since they have had enough negative crap to deal with this past yr that has been a huge embarrassment to this team & town. If they keep one of them, there will be endless questions all yr long everywhere they go or at least until the truth is exposed which might also turn into a negative towards one of them & then brought up again every time they play each other. It may never end.

Maybe trading both guys & getting as much as you can towards a rebuild would be the healthier choice for this franchise moving forward rather than dealing with this crap for another full yr or longer. Of course, EM selling the team would be the best thing that could happen to this franchise but even if he sells the media shit show will still follow EK & MH for at least another yr until they have played each other at least once. And that doesn't even include the Lee debacle & EM's constant foot in mouth disease.

However, when the media has a good story or should I say a good negative story they will milk it for as long as they can. The advertising buildup to that game between EK & MH will be at least a week or two long billed as a grudge match to see whether they will duke it out & hopefully, they won't ask the wives to comment. I don't see anything good in keeping both players especially if the team is going to suck for the next season or three. But it could be an opportunity to rebuild towards a pretty good team in 3 to 5 yrs when this should all be behind them & most of their prospects should be coming of age to start contending for a playoff spot. Drafting 2 or 3 really good players in this yr's draft & acquiring some quality young players/prospects would go a long way in moving a good young team in that direction. The big question though is whether this franchise can hang on financhially until then especially if EM doesn't sell the team, if he does they may have a chance. What a mess in just one yr! From Conference final to league embarrassment & it's not over yet.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm not sure keeping either of these two guys is going to be healthy for this franchise given the media **** show that will follow this team everywhere they go & especially when they play each other which is bound to happen in the future. I would much rather see that crap with two other teams other than with Ottawa, since they have had enough negative crap to deal with this past yr that has been a huge embarrassment to this team & town. If they keep one of them, there will be endless questions all yr long everywhere they go or at least until the truth is exposed which might also turn into a negative towards one of them & then brought up again every time they play each other. It may never end.

Maybe trading both guys & getting as much as you can towards a rebuild would be the healthier choice for this franchise moving forward rather than dealing with this crap for another full yr or longer. Of course, EM selling the team would be the best thing that could happen to this franchise but even if he sells the media **** show will still follow EK & MH for at least another yr until they have played each other at least once. And that doesn't even include the Lee debacle & EM's constant foot in mouth disease.

However, when the media has a good story or should I say a good negative story they will milk it for as long as they can. The advertising buildup to that game between EK & MH will be at least a week or two long billed as a grudge match to see whether they will duke it out & hopefully, they won't ask the wives to comment. I don't see anything good in keeping both players especially if the team is going to suck for the next season or three. But it could be an opportunity to rebuild towards a pretty good team in 3 to 5 yrs when this should all be behind them & most of their prospects should be coming of age to start contending for a playoff spot. Drafting 2 or 3 really good players in this yr's draft & acquiring some quality young players/prospects would go a long way in moving a good young team in that direction. The big question though is whether this franchise can hang on financhially until then especially if EM doesn't sell the team, if he does they may have a chance. What a mess in just one yr! From Conference final to league embarrassment & it's not over yet.
I'm truly shocked that you want to see EK leave...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What makes you think I want to see EK leave?
You've always been very critical and consistently say things like "maybe the team would be better off going in a different direction"

Given your posting record, its not hard to read your intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad