How to Improve World Cup

Lenny Levino

May 15, 2024
Make 4 groups instead of 2. 4 teams in each group. Winner goes straight to Quarter Finals, second and third place goes to round of #16, fourth place teams play against each other (worst two of these four are relegated).

Then in QFs and Semis, do 2 games. Grand final stay as one game.

This way the games become more competitive (top teams don't have to face as many bottom-tier teams) and playoffs become more fair. Overall the tournament won't have any more games than it already has.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So something like:

Group A
Canada
Germany
Norway
Kazakhstan

Group B
Sweden
Switzerland
Latvia
Slovenia

Group C
United States
Czechia
Denmark
Italy

Group D
Finland
Slovakia
France
Austria

R16
Germany vs. Latvia
Switzerland vs. Norway
Czechia vs. France
Slovakia vs. Denmark

QF
Canada vs. Czechia
Sweden vs. Slovakia
United States vs. Germany
Finland vs. Switzerland

Can't imagine organizers will be enamored with the idea, especially if we're talking about the NHL World Cup.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
So something like:

Group A
Canada
Germany
Norway
Kazakhstan

Group B
Sweden
Switzerland
Latvia
Slovenia

Group C
United States
Czechia
Denmark
Italy

Group D
Finland
Slovakia
France
Austria

R16
Germany vs. Latvia
Switzerland vs. Norway
Czechia vs. France
Slovakia vs. Denmark

QF
Canada vs. Czechia
Sweden vs. Slovakia
United States vs. Germany
Finland vs. Switzerland

Can't imagine organizers will be enamored with the idea, especially if we're talking about the NHL World Cup.
Organizers 100% would not be onboard with this idea. The top teams don’t play each other until the playoff rounds. I like the idea of 3 groups with 2 of the Big 6 in each group.

Germany and Switzerland are also strong on paper. I feel like 2 groups doesn’t allow for the underdog to come up as much. I think 3 is perfect with 5 teams per group.

The top 2 teams from each group advance to the quarterfinals. and

Then you have the 3 highest placed 3rd teams in each group + the highest 4th place team by points in any group play a play-in. Both winners advance to quarterfinals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

MadCGN

Dec 28, 2020
It‘s complicated
Olympics, World Championships and NHL World Cup of Hockey + StanleyCup PlayOffs

What to do?

In other sports you have continental championships, like Euros oder CopaAmerica etc. . But hockey won’t work like this.

But back to the game or better, presentation of the game.

1. Please play the anthem of both nations before the game.

2. No more honor of Best Player of the game, when the game is finished. If you want to give the players new watches, do it afterwards

3. Shakehandlines from KO round and at final 1st shakehandline, than podium for the medals and final give the winner the „cup“

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Promote the World Championship, place it in September and force NHL to release players to play for the federations that formed them. Hockey is sorely missed by the absence of Russia.

The NHL is an obstacle to the development of international hockey. It's the same thing in basketball. North American private leagues are poison for this.

In sports such as Soccer, Handball, Volleyball or Rugby, international competitions are respected.

The best potential hockey posters are in international hockey. Without even talking about a Canada/USA, a Sweden/Russia brings together better players than an NHL final.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
In other sports you have continental championships, like Euros oder CopaAmerica etc. . But hockey won’t work like this.
well it won't work due to NHL not interested in growing the game and don't give a f**k. For the Continental and World Cups the clubs are obliged to release players so you don't have this "not best-on-best" bs argument. the moaning of some billionaires have to pay salaries for players and yet have to release them to play for their country and that it is killing the league if they had a 3 week break doesn't apply there that's an NHL/hockey specific issue. we don't have to discuss dates and formats here again and again - it would simply be enough if the best league in the world really took an interest in the sport outside its microcosm

Reactions: David Suzuki

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Are we talking about the IIHF Worlds or the NHL World Cup?

Anyway, I'd like to merge them. And hold it very 4 years to keep the prestige and allure up. Also keep the Olympics so we have a premier international tournament every 2 years. Like they have in soccer with the World Cup and Euros/Copa America/African Cup of Nations

It should also be teams on merit not on invitation, so in the year with no championship, hold qualification tournaments, This would replace the lower level World Championships we have today. So an Olympic cycle would be like: Olympics -> World Cup qualifiers -> World Cup -> Olympic qualifiers -> Olympics. For the major nations, that would be directly qualified, hold a seperate 7 games series against a rival in the off years. Like Finland - Sweden, Canada - USA, Germany - Switzerland, Czechia - Slovakia.

Goes without saying that this should include the NHL pausing and releasing all players.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Get rid of the World Cup.

1. Cut the NHL season to 60 games. 82 games are too much.
2. Bring the Russians back as neutral athletes.
3. The best players are available for the WCH the level will increase.

Reactions: Max Milk and ViD

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Encourage fighting.
Definitely not going to happen. However, the 1996 World Cup was epic and had a bunch of rough stuff and fights. Never since has there been a nastier best on best tournament or anything that comes even close and more likely never will.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Are we talking about the IIHF Worlds or the NHL World Cup?

Anyway, I'd like to merge them. And hold it very 4 years to keep the prestige and allure up. Also keep the Olympics so we have a premier international tournament every 2 years. Like they have in soccer with the World Cup and Euros/Copa America/African Cup of Nations

It should also be teams on merit not on invitation, so in the year with no championship, hold qualification tournaments, This would replace the lower level World Championships we have today. So an Olympic cycle would be like: Olympics -> World Cup qualifiers -> World Cup -> Olympic qualifiers -> Olympics. For the major nations, that would be directly qualified, hold a seperate 7 games series against a rival in the off years. Like Finland - Sweden, Canada - USA, Germany - Switzerland, Czechia - Slovakia.

Goes without saying that this should include the NHL pausing and releasing all players.
One qualification tournament every two or four years without any hope of qualification wouldn't be enough for a lot of countries to keep maintaining their national team programs. It would lead to the collapse of international ice hockey.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Definitely not going to happen. However, the 1996 World Cup was epic and had a bunch of rough stuff and fights. Never since has there been a nastier best on best tournament or anything that comes even close and more likely never will.
That's because all those in charge saw how awesome it was and decided they didn't want that, so they got rid of it.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
24 team best on best World cup every 4 years. There would be blowouts but so what. 4 groups of 6 teams and then 16 team playoffs. You would have to make a bid to host the competition so it could be held in North America, Europe or why not even in Asia. The Nordic countries could host together. Here you can see the possible teams:

Best on best olympics every four years.

16 team European championships every four years. Also 8 team Asian championships, American and African championships.

Euro hockey tour would be replaced by an annual 8 team World league. Below that would be an 8 team European league and a 4 team Asian league. Also other competitions to get ranking points.

Qualification to competitions via ranking points.

World cup and olympics win on regulation 3 points, win on ot or penalties 2 points and loss there would be one point.

In continental championships and In the World league it would be 2, 1 and 0 respectively.

In continental leagues it would be 1, 0 and 0.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
16 team u23 World cup every 4 years. Ranking points for matches 2, 1 and 0
Wjc every 4 years 1,0,0
Continental junior championships every 4 years. 0,0,0

Regional championships every 4 years. North America best of 7 series between USA and Canada. Latin America and Caribbean, Northern Europe, Western Europe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Africa and Middle East, Central and Southern Asia, East Asia and Southeast Asia and Oceania. 1,0,0

Also one continental league could be called the Southern league with four best teams from Latin America, Africa, Middle East and Oceania. 1,0,0

Also the best national teams could take part in the Spengler cup every two years. Hosts Switzerland against the five best teams in the World ranking. 2,1,0

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Make 4 groups instead of 2. 4 teams in each group. Winner goes straight to Quarter Finals, second and third place goes to round of #16, fourth place teams play against each other (worst two of these four are relegated).

Then in QFs and Semis, do 2 games. Grand final stay as one game.

This way the games become more competitive (top teams don't have to face as many bottom-tier teams) and playoffs become more fair. Overall the tournament won't have any more games than it already has.
It’s not a bad thought experiment to explore.

Organizers 100% would not be onboard with this idea. The top teams don’t play each other until the playoff rounds. I like the idea of 3 groups with 2 of the Big 6 in each group.

Germany and Switzerland are also strong on paper. I feel like 2 groups doesn’t allow for the underdog to come up as much. I think 3 is perfect with 5 teams per group.

The top 2 teams from each group advance to the quarterfinals. and

Then you have the 3 highest placed 3rd teams in each group + the highest 4th place team by points in any group play a play-in. Both winners advance to quarterfinals.
Also an interesting one.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Get rid of the World Cup.

1. Cut the NHL season to 60 games. 82 games are too much.
2. Bring the Russians back as neutral athletes.
3. The best players are available for the WCH the level will increase.
Neutral athlete in this context is nonsense. There is no such thing. Taking away the flag, etc., will do nothing to the perceptionof it being Russia, and give the government tools to to make it into a great propaganda tournament for the Russians, which unlike other government they have always aggressively used as propaganda. They are either there or not. If they are there, let’s Not pretend they don’t have a flag.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It's funny because I'd actually like the Euro championships brought back. I'd love to watch that annually. No NHLers allowed. Let's put the euros against each other again. I say early January.

As far as world's in spring.. it's my fav tourney of the year and I really don't have many quibbles. To me the answer is always best on best Olympics. And I think I saw France and Utah are getting the next two after Italy. Perfect.. Europe and North America. Good time zones... No insane travel.. lots of home fans in stands.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad