How to Fix the Canadiens Power Play Woes

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I still severely dislike when we have someone below the goal line.. Its easy defense there because its a 4 on 4 everywhere else on the ice. The PP looked better when Galchenyuk was out in space.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Sekac with Subban on the point would probably be the best pp unit we could ice

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I still severely dislike when we have someone below the goal line.. Its easy defense there because its a 4 on 4 everywhere else on the ice. The PP looked better when Galchenyuk was out in space.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Sekac with Subban on the point would probably be the best pp unit we could ice

Agreed,
I was always taught to push at the box from inside it. :nod:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Could of sworn I saw Plekanec's line start a couple of the PP's yesterday...could of also sworn I saw Subban/Gilbert start on the 1st PP wave as well

Again..no reason to get caught up in 1st unit vs 2nd unit...the Habs have a handful of players they use on the PP, different game circumstances dictate who often plays.

That being said, I saw a lot of good things on the PP yesterday

Hope that's a sign of things to come

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
All we need is for MT to mistakenly put out the 3rd line on the PP from time to time and we just might score a few goals.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
We need our big guys, Eller, Sekac, Weise, to go to the net. This is what's missing on the PP.

Been way too much perimeter play.

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011

Finally someone else sees the light...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Finally someone else sees the light...

AG is the perfect pivot for the Right Half Boards but when ever he finds himself there he swaps with Plecky and ends up back on the goal line. We have a far better chance of converting if Chucky runs the show. Need to split him away from Plecky give him Max and Eller. Make him understand it is his responsibility to control the ice. Hard to do if he plays with Thomas or Davey.

Not something Michel would give much thought to? :(

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

The problem is not having someone below the goal line, the problem is that no one moves from that formation. From that perspective, it's obvious to everyone and their dog that the habs a setting up a one-timer.

It improved a bit last game, and hopefully they keep on working in that sense.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Could of sworn I saw Plekanec's line start a couple of the PP's yesterday...could of also sworn I saw Subban/Gilbert start on the 1st PP wave as well

Again..no reason to get caught up in 1st unit vs 2nd unit...the Habs have a handful of players they use on the PP, different game circumstances dictate who often plays.

That being said, I saw a lot of good things on the PP yesterday

Hope that's a sign of things to come

You seem to be the only one that does get caught up in this. Pretty much everybody else just agrees DD's line is more favored. Call them 1A/1B or 1/2, it's semantics.
Plek and DD played as much on the PP last game but that's including an entire 2min spent by Plek's unit when they controlled the play in the zone.

It's pretty crystal clear that one unit is favored to the other, albeit not hugely.

rabbit4949

Apr 1, 2013
The reason that Montreal can not score on the powerplay is because they are up against the greatest penalty killer in the history of hockey. His name is Michel Therrien. He absolutely refuses to allow the players to position themselves for success. Of all of the goals scored with a man advantage ,one was a partial breakaway for Max on a stretch pass. One was an empty-netter off the rush by Parenteau. One was a very nice individual rush by Sekac. The only goal that was scored in traditional setup mode was by PK on his off side. To me, he should be on the left point always and Markov should be on the right point always when they are on the powerplay. This 2 left shots and 2 right shots on the powerplay is nonsense. It is nothing more than an admission that having one of the points being able to get off a one-timer is better than having none . Seriously, what is wrong with having both points being able to get off one-timers? What is wrong with both points being able to see the entire play in front of them? What is wrong with both points having better shooting lanes? What is wrong with both points having better passing angles? I get it if your best point guys are both left or both right but on this team that is not the case. Criticizing individual players for not having success on this powerplay is simply not fair.They have very little chance of scoring with the current system. This may not be the magic bullet but something has to be changed. I believe that a definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You seem to be the only one that does get caught up in this. Pretty much everybody else just agrees DD's line is more favored. Call them 1A/1B or 1/2, it's semantics.
Plek and DD played as much on the PP last game but that's including an entire 2min spent by Plek's unit when they controlled the play in the zone.

It's pretty crystal clear that one unit is favored to the other, albeit not hugely.
True story.

The other true story is that it doesn't matter since both units have sucked.

Gonchar's "I do nothing but shoot the puck" is refreshing though.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
DD is obviously a problem but Pacioretty is pretty awful on the PP. He's a perimeter player in general. On the PP he just floats.

He should only be in front of the net and nowhere else. He at least has size and some hands. On the perimeter he's useless because he has no playmaking ability.

Then you combine DD passing to him over and over expecting Patches to do something with the puck when he's in non-scoring areas. It's just a disaster.

Patches in front of the net. Galchenyuk on one half wall, Subban on the other. Markov at the top. Plekanec behind the net if you have to have a guy there.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
DD is obviously a problem but Pacioretty is pretty awful on the PP. He's a perimeter player in general. On the PP he just floats.

He should only be in front of the net and nowhere else. He at least has size and some hands. On the perimeter he's useless because he has no playmaking ability.

Then you combine DD passing to him over and over expecting Patches to do something with the puck when he's in non-scoring areas. It's just a disaster.

Patches in front of the net. Galchenyuk on one half wall, Subban on the other. Markov at the top. Plekanec behind the net if you have to have a guy there.
At least DD passes the puck to a forward. :laugh:

That's kind of a joke, but it's kind of true. Everyone else just passes to Markov or Subban (except Galchenyuk, who really doesn't give a **** what system we run, he's going to be creative either way).

Either way - 1 point out of DD, Patch, Plek, PAP, and Gally is not acceptable.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I just had an idea: Just hire Chuck Norris. He'll roundhouse kick that PP into shape!

short weekend, trying to take it slowly :laugh:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
They need to try to score dirty goals. They start doing that and everything will open up.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Markov on the left point on PP's is deadly... Always has been, gives the Habs so many more shooting options

Nynja*

Apparently trading for 40 year old Gonchar solves the PP woes.

I didnt see that one coming.

PricePkPatch*

Having 2 RD and 2LD on two different units seem to create some clockwise/counter-clockwise flow that makes the opposition unsure of positioning.

Whereas 2D of opposing sides is more.. Static.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad