How much will having arguably the worst 1C in the Western Conference hurt the Predators?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I was thinking about it today, and I realized every playoff team in the Western Conference has a better center than anyone on Nashville. I would take all of Karlsson (this year at least), Pavelski, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Staal, MacKinnon, and Schiefele over Johansen. Will this be a problem for the Predators?

About as much as it hurt them last year, which is to say, not at all.

Reactions: cgf and winnipegger

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I was thinking about it today, and I realized every playoff team in the Western Conference has a better center than anyone on Nashville. I would take all of Karlsson (this year at least), Pavelski, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Staal, MacKinnon, and Schiefele over Johansen. Will this be a problem for the Predators?

For the record, I would take Johansen over Karlsson, Pavelski and Staal.

Reactions: cgf

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It will hurt them vs a team which has a legit #1. Until then the preds are fine.
I'm guessing Toews and Getzlaf weren't legit #1's last year then.....

Also having watched every game of this playoffs outside of Crosby, Malkin, and maybe Bergeron, MacKinnon would probably be my pick. That may not hold up outside of this series or in future years, but with the way he is playing right now it would be pretty hard to top him.

Last edited:

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Johansen has a better PPG in playoffs than Pavelski, Staal, Schiefele, Karlsson, Stamkos, Segin, others. Although inconsistent in the regular season, he always seems at his peak in the post season.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
When you have the best D in the league you can have a 2nd tier #1C and do just fine. They are elite in other areas.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Please rewatch last year's playoffs for examples of Johansen playing against "Real no.1 centers". Johansen, Ekholm and Subban embarrassed Toews, Kane, Tarasenko and Getzlaf.
Kane and Tarasenko aren't real #1C in my books. No matter how many times you watch last year's playoffs

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lmao, one of the worst? Are you serious?

The only guys I would consider there would be Malkin/Crosby/Kopitar and that's only based off their past playoff experience. MacK was better than all of them in the regular season and has been great so far in the playoffs.

RNH 2.0 went years without a playoff point for a reason. Two lucky runs don't change the facts.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Johansen has a better PPG in playoffs than Pavelski, Staal, Schiefele, Karlsson, Stamkos, Segin, others. Although inconsistent in the regular season, he always seems at his peak in the post season.

This looks like it will be the eternal dilemma with RyJo. When he's really motivated & focused he's f***ing elite; like a western conference Malkin; but hot damn is he not that way too often for someone with soooooo much talent.

Fortunately for him & the Preds they've got the perfect set up for him to putz around in the regular season before turning it on in the playoffs; like Patrick Kane used to do...before the allegations.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
It will be a problem if they lose. It will not be a problem if they win.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
So one head to head series where Johansen played better all of a sudden makes him better than a HOF center still in his prime? Good to know.

You said he was the worst 1C right now. I disagree and see that Johansen is the better center right now. Career wise, yeah, Getzlaf has him. My point was he was outplayed last year by RJ and is a better 1C now.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Not a whole lot because 1C is perhaps the most overrated position in hockey and they can compensate for it quite well in other areas. Most notably the D, which I consider significantly more important than C overall.

I disagree with this statement but generally agree with the rest. A strong 1C has been a constant among the last several Cup winners. That said, I think RyJo is a 1C when he's at his best.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Nashville didn't exactly draw the hardest opposition last year. Full marks to them for sweeping the Hawks, and Johansen did destroy Toews, but that was the corpse of Toews. We're looking at a very realistic scenario of all 3 of the teams they beat not winning a single playoff game this year. In general, if that happens, it means that you got fairly easy matchups. This isn't to take away from Nashville, who I consider a very strong team, but just important to note. It sort of feels like the Colorado Avalanche, a team that was the worst in the league last year, is giving them a bit more trouble than all 3 of the teams they faced in the first three rounds last year.

For me, Johansen has to do this against a truly elite team for me to consider him a legit #1C. He got mostly schooled by Logan Couture and Joe Thornton in the playoffs the last time he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad