OT: How much is your Home phone, TV, Internet bill? Bundled?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yeah around $115 or so for TV+Internet. I have Telus Optik or whatever it is. I originally just had the "essential" channels + the sports package, but this year I added ... whatever package I needed to add to get Breaking Bad. And they just moved all the channels around again so I really have no idea what I have. The whole concept of cable television is annoying at this point; I can't wait until NHL GameCenter is as good as MLB.tv is so I can finally get rid of it for good.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Boyfriend and I have Optik TV from Telus which is $86/mo with 9 packages + movie channels. I like the quality of the picture a lot.

Home phones are slowly becoming extinct.

I moved here in January (from Okanagan) and considered getting a home phone because it would be too much of a pain to change my cell number but it would be nice to have a 604-number as well. I was shocked at how expensive it would be to add home phone, I think like $29/month to add the basic service to my package. Nuts to that; these days I figured they'd basically throw it in for free.

Does anyone have a solution to this, by the way? I'd like to have a local number, but there's no smooth way to transition over and I just know that suddenly someone important whom I'd forgotten about would try to get a hold of me and wouldn't be able to.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I moved here in January (from Okanagan) and considered getting a home phone because it would be too much of a pain to change my cell number but it would be nice to have a 604-number as well. I was shocked at how expensive it would be to add home phone, I think like $29/month to add the basic service to my package. Nuts to that; these days I figured they'd basically throw it in for free.

Does anyone have a solution to this, by the way? I'd like to have a local number, but there's no smooth way to transition over and I just know that suddenly someone important whom I'd forgotten about would try to get a hold of me and wouldn't be able to.

My boyfriend lives in Victoria and has a 604 number for his cell phone and doesn't get LD charges. Not sure how it works though. :(

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC

What you need is voip. With voip, you can get a number with any area code and people can call you as if you're local even though you can be thousands of miles away.

For example, you can get a 604 number. Then you can take your voip box with you (it's small), go to Bahamas, hook up your voip box to the Internet there and you can still take Vancouver calls with no long distance charges for you and the other party.

Look into services like nettalk.ca. Personally, I use italkbb.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
Cut cable and get hockeystreams, thats what I did—totally worth it. Cable is ****ing useless when you can download any show you follow.

Yeah, I'll cut cable eventually. But besides hockey, I like to watch NFL and CFL. How can I get those games online?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah, I'll cut cable eventually. But besides hockey, I like to watch NFL and CFL. How can I get those games online?

If there's a will there's a way—there has to be a free way of watching football.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
How do you do this - do you need any equipment?

well you obviously know where to watch live sports or can find it, as for television shows, just type in the season and episode number into google and I'm sure you'll find something, you can always find players that don't require any download or install.

Usually an hour or two after a show has aired it'll be online.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
What you need is voip. With voip, you can get a number with any area code and people can call you as if you're local even though you can be thousands of miles away.

For example, you can get a 604 number. Then you can take your voip box with you (it's small), go to Bahamas, hook up your voip box to the Internet there and you can still take Vancouver calls with no long distance charges for you and the other party.

Look into services like nettalk.ca. Personally, I use italkbb.

I am somewhat intrigued but it doesn't really solve my problem as I would still be getting a new number.

My problem is that I don't know how to communicate a number change effectively enough that there won't be all kinds of people trying to contact my old number.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
I am somewhat intrigued but it doesn't really solve my problem as I would still be getting a new number.

My problem is that I don't know how to communicate a number change effectively enough that there won't be all kinds of people trying to contact my old number.

You can also "move" your existing number to the voip service provider.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I hear of so many people switching over to Telus for a glorified promotion. Regular prices for both providers are similar - internet quality for Shaw is much better.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I hear of so many people switching over to Telus for a glorified promotion. Regular prices for both providers are similar - internet quality for Shaw is much better.

I've been back and forth between Telus and shaw enough times that I feel like there's no real difference and it's worth it to let them just fight over your business so you can get what you can out of it. I'm on a three year deal with Telus right now becaue they gave me a laptop. When it's done in a few months I'll see what Shaw will give me to switch.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
well you obviously know where to watch live sports or can find it, as for television shows, just type in the season and episode number into google and I'm sure you'll find something, you can always find players that don't require any download or install.

Usually an hour or two after a show has aired it'll be online.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess you need a pretty good internet connection, as often when I watch live hockey games the stream is extremely choppy... also, I wonder if there is any risk of viruses or junk like that, because it seems like when I've watched live streams my computer got more of that junk.

Nov 1, 2011
I'm on CIK Telecom for internet - $29 + tax. - This is 25M internet.

Use Telus for cable + phone ($43)...thinking about cancelling cable since I can watch everything I want to through various services on the internet.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Shaw. All 3 + HD package. Comes out to $130something every month. Seriously thinking of cancelling the TV part though. I hate that I have to pay $50somethign for personal TV that I never watch. I mostly watch sports so I can live with streaming the games I need to watch if I can half my bill.

Cool Hand Goof*

like 170 i got so much extra(also unnecessary) stuff

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
Got a question about hockeystream. If I watch a Vancouver game, which play-by-play will I listen to? Vancouver's or the other team's? Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad