How much can Star Habs Players bank in endorsements?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Petry is not even a star and got a deal with McD....

Also i don't think Price ever paid for his ford trucks.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I'm wondering if endorsement money is significant enough that players would choose to come to Montreal for it.

Good point. Endorsement income is often overlooked when we talk about Qc taxes etc. There's for sure more endorsement money available for players in Mtl than most other markets.

The richer you get, the less you have to pay for stuff.

I've noticed this irony as well.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Had a conversation this summer with Don Meehan and Mark Guy about endorsement money. Star players in huge Hockey Markets can basically live off of endorsements and bank their entire salary.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm actually wondering how can the slightly-above-average, run-of-the-mill and 4th liner can bank in.

You know the star player will get his money no matter what.
But the support player?

(And disconsider language. Obviously, Matthieu Darche was likelier to get endorsement/ad money than Brian Flynn. And consider Georges Laraque a very special case)

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
If Kassian can get a small truck endorsment without playing a game for the Habs you would think that most players are offered some sort of deal.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I'm actually wondering how can the slightly-above-average, run-of-the-mill and 4th liner can bank in.

You know the star player will get his money no matter what.
But the support player?

(And disconsider language. Obviously, Matthieu Darche was likelier to get endorsement/ad money than Brian Flynn. And consider Georges Laraque a very special case)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Eller isn't Flynn or Darche though (still it's nice that a non-French non-star player got to star in an ad). I think DD did one straight afterwards as well.

Oh and Prust, but that's a bit Maripier-related.

(And I'm indeed interested in knowing the rough amount they got for those spots)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Eller isn't Flynn or Darche though (still it's nice that a non-French non-star player got to star in an ad). I think DD did one straight afterwards as well.

Oh and Prust, but that's a bit Maripier-related.

(And I'm indeed interested in knowing the rough amount they got for those spots)

Those type sign autographs at sport-expert or car dealerships.

Briere had a deal with Metro IIRC. He was basically a 4th liner with us :laugh::cry:

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Seriously not much for milionaire. Montreal is a small market and nobody know hockey outside of canada.

Probably 50k-100k

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Seriously not much for milionaire. Montreal is a small market and nobody know hockey outside of canada.

Probably 50k-100k

...C'mon. It's not a huge market, but I wouldn't qualify it as a small one on an NHL-basis either.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If Kassian can get a small truck endorsment without playing a game for the Habs you would think that most players are offered some sort of deal.

There are tons of perks that the average fan doesn't know about. Playing in Montreal or Toronto for example will exponentially increase equipment deals with Bauer, CCM, Warrior etc. The reason being that the players get a ton of exposure through tv and game attendance in markets where they are actually endorsing products that the fans will actually buy as opposed to non hockey markets where nobody plays the sport.

Stamkos would gain a ton endorsements if he chooses to go to Toronto.......

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Additionally, players get many things for free, as mentioned earlier. For example, I once read an article on Chris Chelios where he said he never paid for flights through a friend who worked for an airline. He also said one of the perkd of being a star was her got many things for free. While some of us have access to this kind of friend, I suspect many people trade these perks for friendship with stars.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
...C'mon. It's not a huge market, but I wouldn't qualify it as a small one on an NHL-basis either.

I think its small in the sense that you may have to devote an ad towards a french speaking community as opposed to a national ad.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think its small in the sense that you may have to devote an ad towards a french speaking community as opposed to a national ad.

Still, the French-speaking community is larger than... Say, the Nashville metro area. And those French ad can have a provincial reach, too.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Still, the French-speaking community is larger than... Say, the Nashville metro area. And those French ad can have a provincial reach, too.

Exactly. We say Montreal but those ads reach the entirety of the province, as well as into French parts of Northern Ontario, the Greater Ottawa region and New Brunswick. That's about 8.5-9 million people.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven

What? If you're just considering the french market in Canada that's at least 10 million (as first and second language) people and if you add the anglos in Quebec that goes up by at least a million. Also Price, PK ads are nationwide.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What? If you're just considering the french market in Canada that's at least 10 million (as first and second language) people and if you add the anglos in Quebec that goes up by at least a million. Also Price, PK ads are nationwide.

I was mostly speaking in terms of local ads, something like car dealerships or the like.

And I wasn't the one who described the market as "small". I just said it wasn't huge, like NY or Southern California.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad