How Many Seasons of Peak Gretzky is Worth More than Marleau's Entire Career?

How little of Gretzky's career does it take to surpass Marleau's total career value?

• 1 period of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 game of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 2 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 5 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 10 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 40 games of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 10 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 11 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 12 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 13 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 14 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 15 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 16 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 17 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 18 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• 19 seasons of Wayne Gretzky is worth more than Marleau's entire career

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
IMO you'd need peak Gretzky signed for 2 years for a #1 OA draft pick. At #1 OA, you'd hope for (and expect) a better career than Marleau. Gretzky signed for a single season is easily enough for 20 years of Patrick Marleau. A TD rental of prime Gretzky probably gets you a pick in the 5-10 range. 20 years of Marleau is probably better than draft pick in the 5-10 range, but some desperate GM probably pulls the triggers, so 20 games of Gretzky.

EDIT:
I voted 20 games of Gretzky (one TD rental period of peak Gretzky)

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So I just went back to the start of Gretzky's career and counted off the point where he would surpass Marleau's career total of 1197 points in the regular season. And that occurred somewhere in 1985-86 when he started with 1122 points and finished the year with 1337. At this point he already had 2 Stanley Cups. So about 6.5 years is a comfortable run of production and championships to completely blow Marleau out of the water.

Reactions: wetcoast

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Ovechkin is on track to break the goals mark. Can’t you be satisfied with that and abandon this weird crusade to downplay Gretzky?
This also might be to overplay marleau tbh

If you saw that Lemieux thread vs ovechkin. This guys argument was using adjusted era goals to prop up marleau over Lemieux. He tried arguing marleau was the “better” goal scorer

Reactions: hamzarocks

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
This also might be to overplay marleau tbh

If you saw that Lemieux thread vs ovechkin. This guys argument was using adjusted era goals to prop up marleau over Lemieux. He tried arguing marleau was the “better” goal scorer

I think Midnight is building up to an argument that Ovechkin is the greatest player ever, hence why he’s been making unusual comments about Gretzky and Lemieux lately, with the goals record well within reach.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This thread is moreso about the value of peak vs longevity.
Then it's a weird comparison because Marleau's "longevity" never saw him as a top 5 player during any of those years. Because it's easy to pick the "peak" player because 5 dominant years trumps anything someone can give you for 20 average years.

This thread might be more difficult if you picked a "longevity" player who also happened to be a top 5 player during a big stretch of those years.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
So I just went back to the start of Gretzky's career and counted off the point where he would surpass Marleau's career total of 1197 points in the regular season. And that occurred somewhere in 1985-86 when he started with 1122 points and finished the year with 1337. At this point he already had 2 Stanley Cups. So about 6.5 years is a comfortable run of production and championships to completely blow Marleau out of the water.

I think that's a not a bad starting point but a couple adjustments from there that are potentially offsetting:

1) Scoring was obviously much easier in Gretzky's initial years

2) Concentrated peak scoring (as Gretzky did) is way more valuable than compiled scoring (as Marleau did).

I think Midnight is building up to an argument that Ovechkin is the greatest player ever, hence why he’s been making unusual comments about Gretzky and Lemieux lately, with the goals record well within reachz

You are being paranoid.

Ovechkin has an excellent peak and excellent longevity. Nothing in this thread moves the needle for him.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
Two years. Without going too specifically into what peak Gretzky would mean adjusted for todays era or whatever, I'm assuming I'm getting the best player in the world by a wide margin. I'd feel comftorable that two years of that kind of competitive edge would be more valuable than Marleau's entire career when it comes to increasing your chances of winning.

Value is value over replacement and you can get substitutes for Marleau in the free agency or via trade5... maybe a little more expensive, maybe a little worse, but it's not too difficult to acquire. You can't get substitutes for Gretzky.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think that's a not a bad starting point but a couple adjustments from there that are potentially offsetting:

1) Scoring was obviously mush easier in Gretzky's initial years

2) Concentrated peak scoring (as Gretzky did) is way more valuable than compiled scoring (as Marleau did).

I don't think Gretzky needs to be era adjusted for this oddball comparison with Marleau. Proportionately it looks like 6-7 years of Gretzky kind of covers all the bases. Any more precision isn't really necessary to establish the fact that a handful of Gretzky's peak years is preferable to a whole lotta Marleau.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Then it's a weird comparison because Marleau's "longevity" never saw him as a top 5 player during any of those years. Because it's easy to pick the "peak" player because 5 dominant years trumps anything someone can give you for 20 average years.

This thread might be more difficult if you picked a "longevity" player who also happened to be a top 5 player during a big stretch of those years.

That would merely put it in a different spot on the spectrum. I don't see why that makes it easier or more difficult to decide.

Anyway, I think GMs have to grapple with these types of value judgements (not generally with Gretzky caliber players of course). But they do often have to decide between potential long term assets and "go for it now" type players on a rental contract or players who are later in the careers and you know their time of providing high value is limited.

I don't think Gretzky needs to be era adjusted for this oddball comparison with Marleau.

Scoring in a 3.5-4.00 GPG per team per game league is wildly different than a 2.7 GPG league.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Wayne Gretzky scored is 1198th point in career game 504 on December 13 1985. This was in the middle of the 1985-86 season so it only took him 6.5 seasons to score more points than Marleau did in 23. As for any era adjustments that took Gretzky 9 seasons to surpass Marleau’s 23.

39% of Marleau’s games and had 12 more adjusted points. 28% of Marleau’s games and had more actual points.

Attachments

• 7E5D124B-F19B-42F8-943C-205234CA25D5.jpeg
    7E5D124B-F19B-42F8-943C-205234CA25D5.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 1

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Anyway, I think GMs have to grapple with these types of value judgements (not generally with Gretzky caliber players of course). But they do often have to decide between potential long term assets and "go for it now" type players on a rental contract or players who are later in the careers and you know their time of providing high value is limited.
But that's a completely different scenario than what you're asking in the OP. Getting 3 or 4 (or 5) years of PEAK Gretzky, the greatest offensive player in league history, is more valuable than a 20 year career out of a (relatively speaking) average top line player like Marleau. 5 years of peak Gretzky likely has a greater impact on franchise results than 20 years of Marleau does.

Put another way -- if ALL you got out of Ovechkin was his first 5 years in the league, would you rather have Marleau's 20 years over what you got from Ovechkin for the first 5 years?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But that's a completely different scenario than what you're asking in the OP. Getting 3 or 4 (or 5) years of PEAK Gretzky, the greatest offensive player in league history, is more valuable than a 20 year career out of a (relatively speaking) average top line player like Marleau. 5 years of peak Gretzky likely has a greater impact on franchise results than 20 years of Marleau does.

Put another way -- if ALL you got out of Ovechkin was his first 5 years in the league, would you rather have Marleau's 20 years over what you got from Ovechkin for the first 5 years?

And it’s one of those things too where the combined output of 20 years of Marleau might be greater than 5 years of Ovechkin, but it’s so much easier to find a Marleau or similar for 15 years after the 5 years of Ovechkin that it shouldn’t matter all that much.

I think the problem with this comparison is that Marleau is such a huge compiler when compared to Gretzky that most seasons are irrelevant. Longevity really is quite meaningless when the gap is so large. I’d take 5 years of pretty much any superstar over 20 years of Marleau. In order to really get a sense of how much longevity matters it needs to be an actual franchise player for 20 years like a Lidstrom, Bourque, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad