How Howe recalls his fight with Fontinato

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Picked up a half-a-dozen hockey books a few days ago, including Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe: My Story (Penguin, 2014), Gordie's autobiography. Best part for me was his recollection of his infamous run-in with Lou Fontinato. Presumably anyone interested enough in the history of the NHL to be visiting The History of Hockey forum here at HFBoards has heard something about that fight.

February 1, 1959, the Detroit Red Wings were in MSG facing the New York Rangers. In the first period, the Wings' Red Kelly was behind his team's net tussling with the Blueshirts' Eddie Shack, and Howe intended to intervene, while Fontinato intended to engage with Gordie. Howe recalls that he glanced back to see that Lou's "gloves and stick were at the blue line (and) he was about ten feet away and charging hard ... He didn't know I had spotted him" (p. 165). Gordie said that Fontinato thought he would be "swinging at a sitting duck" and he "moved just in time to miss the haymaker he threw at my head" (p.165). Howe gives a good description of that fight, and his approach to it. He admits that Lou did "land a few good lefts of his own" (p. 166), while Gordie had his right arm tied up.

Howe said: "It didn't make me happy to see Louie in such bad shape, but I can't say I felt sorry for him. That might make me sound cold-hearted, but to my way of thinking he was just doing his job and I was doing mine. One of us was going to take the worst of it and it turned out to him" (p. 166). Before recalling that fight, Gordie wrote about how Fontinato's "coach figured that Louie irritated the hell out of me, so whenever I hit the ice he wanted him out there to try to take my head out of the game" (p. 165). One time Fontinato got the better of Howe, using "his stick ... to split open my head for a few stitches" (p.165)

Gordie said of that fight: "I'd say I probably get asked about that fight more than any of the goals I ever scored. I'd rather talk about the Stanley Cups and some of the great teammates I was lucky enough to play with, but I guess that scrap does have its place in the scheme of my career. No one was in much of a hurry to drop the gloves with me afterward, which was fine by me. I was grateful for anything that helped to keep me on the ice and out of the penalty box" (p. 166-167)

Just for the record - for the sake of those hockey fans who have heard and believe that Gordie destroyed Lou and/or his career - let me point out the fact that (after having his nose re-arranged in the first period of that game in 1959) Fontinato finished the game. In fact, he had a penalty in each of the next two periods. After that game, Lou was as rambunctious as ever, hitting the 100-PIM mark in 1959-60 and 1960-61 with the Rangers. After being manhandled and eliminated by the Chicago Black Hawks in the first-round of the 1960-61 playoffs, the Montreal Canadiens traded Doug Harvey straight up for Lou Fontinato. In 1961-62 - as a Hab - Fontinato led the NHL in penalty minutes for the third time in his career.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
To be fair and honest, I should point out the fact that the “Howe destroyed Fontinato” position was shared by someone who was witness to the fight, and was around – in the NHL – at the time of that fight, and throughout the remainder of Lou's career, after that fight. In his book – Eddie Shack: Hockey's Most Entertaining Stories, with Ken Reid (Frameworth, 2019) – Shack recalled that infamous fight, which he witnessed, and, in fact – as he admitted – “I started the whole thing. I hit Leonard Kelly. The hit was probably a little dirty. Leonard and I got into it, we started going at it. Then Gordie came in to get me. And then Fontinato jumped in to get a hold of Gordie. Gordie ended up getting a good grip on Fontinato's collar. And then Gordie hit him. He hit Lou right on the side of his nose and Lou's nose ended up on the other side of his face” (p. 32)

Decades later, what really upset Eddie was the fact that his coach, Phil Watson, allowed a photographer in to the Rangers' dressing room: “Lou was our tough guy. That fight ruined Fontinato. Phil Watson let a photographer go into our dressing room. The photographer took that famous picture of Lou all bandaged up and they put it in the papers ... Louie was not the tough guy anymore. Just like that Louie was like chopped liver and crushed baloney. He didn't do anything after that. He ended up getting traded to Montreal” (p. 32)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00