How Has Gretz Been As An Analyst/Commentator?

Reaser

May 19, 2021
He's only been on 3 times this season. The first two Wednesday's of the season, which were both doubleheaders on TNT, and then the Winter Classic.

He was fine. He even pointed out Greenway eating it then nice-guy Gretzky kicked in and he tried to walk it back and tried to act like it happened to him every game.

Not enough of a sample size. Plus the debut is hard to judge because McHugh just gushes about Gretzky being on set, in awe. So the first two weeks were hard for him to be much of an analyst when it was just the host talking about how great The Great One is whenever it was his turn.

So we'll see going forward though he's part-time so only will be so many weeks he'll be there anyway. Him and Biz clicked and they're funny together.

I like the TNT crew, though it's really just the Biz show. McHugh is fine as the host -except when Gretzky is there- and does a good job trying to get everyone involved, though he points out, literally says, when he is and isn't letting the show go off the rails which is odd.

Carter and Tocchet are just there. Sometimes don't even talk during a segment and Biz and McHugh just carry it. Carter tries too hard to be funny when that's Biz's job. Tocchet tries to act annoyed about not getting enough time to talk but he rarely has anything to say anyway so again, falls back to Biz.

Who was actually really good was when they had Lundqvist fill-in on the desk. He should be full-time. McHugh, Biz and Lundqvist works, Gretzky works for his part-time role, and maybe have Carter and Tocchet rotate or something? Or if/when Tocchet takes another coaching job it'll take care of itself.

I've seen all the TNT games this season, and pre and post-game shows, so that's how I feel about it, for whatever that's worth.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Feel like he doesn’t have enough personality he’s just a nice guy who’s fairly humble considering his career.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I've yet to see Gretz on ESPN this season, nor have I seen any chatter about him.

How often is he on? How's he been?

from what I’ve seen Paul bissonnette is talking over him 90% of the broadcast. Biz is a funny guy but I’d like to get a bit more from Gretzky… have a feeling he might be able to analyze the game a bit better than biznasty

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's only been on 3 times this season. The first two Wednesday's of the season, which were both doubleheaders on TNT, and then the Winter Classic.

He was fine. He even pointed out Greenway eating it then nice-guy Gretzky kicked in and he tried to walk it back and tried to act like it happened to him every game.

Not enough of a sample size. Plus the debut is hard to judge because McHugh just gushes about Gretzky being on set, in awe. So the first two weeks were hard for him to be much of an analyst when it was just the host talking about how great The Great One is whenever it was his turn.

So we'll see going forward though he's part-time so only will be so many weeks he'll be there anyway. Him and Biz clicked and they're funny together.

I like the TNT crew, though it's really just the Biz show. McHugh is fine as the host -except when Gretzky is there- and does a good job trying to get everyone involved, though he points out, literally says, when he is and isn't letting the show go off the rails which is odd.

Carter and Tocchet are just there. Sometimes don't even talk during a segment and Biz and McHugh just carry it. Carter tries too hard to be funny when that's Biz's job. Tocchet tries to act annoyed about not getting enough time to talk but he rarely has anything to say anyway so again, falls back to Biz.

Who was actually really good was when they had Lundqvist fill-in on the desk. He should be full-time. McHugh, Biz and Lundqvist works, Gretzky works for his part-time role, and maybe have Carter and Tocchet rotate or something? Or if/when Tocchet takes another coaching job it'll take care of itself.

I've seen all the TNT games this season, and pre and post-game shows, so that's how I feel about it, for whatever that's worth.
Sounds like there are too many people on the Panel. Nba has 4. Nfl has 5 but at least they discuss multiple games during half time.

think they can get by without Tocchet as they will keep Carter for diversity.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

I don’t necessarily share the same opinion as you, but one this has been very clear to me this season:

TNT >>> ESPN

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i've only seen him on TNT once and he was boring like he's always been

still cool that they were able to get him on board though

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
At least he no longer has that ridiculous hair dye. Man, I was embarrassed for him.
tumblr_p4j5ykkrKC1rvq5fwo4_r2_400.gif

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
No problem, honest mistake, just saw the thread quickly barking up the wrong tree. I'm no big fan of ESPN (TNT's coverage has been vastly better imo), but should at least spare them any outrage here. I'm on board that they could do without Tocchet, tell Biz to translate his career ATOI to broadcasting and let Wayne speak more, but have the panel moderator throw him less softballs.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
As others have said he has only been on a few times (seems it will be a big event and playoff type thing). They do gush about him when he is on that detracts.

Also as others have said the show has a too many cooks problem. The discussions and good and the show actually allows time for good discussion, but there are too many people trying to get their voice in. Need to cut at least two people on the show (or at least rotate). I actually like Biz, he actually makes good points.

But as others have said TNT’s production is light years ahead of ESPN (which shouldn’t be a surprised to anyone who watches sports on tv in the US).

Reactions: Reaser

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Absolutely awesome ... compared to Leah (yes I know, different jobs, different networks...but still)

It's odd, as much time as he's had in front of the cameras over the decades, he's still somewhat awkward acting/talking. I really wish he was/had more of a personality as I know he has great insight/stories... but he's just really ... bland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad