How good were the 94 Rangers?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
of course tikkanen was a top line player

he began his career with two cups as the LW on gretzky and kurri’s line
Not exactly. His first season was 1985-86 and he mostly played on a line with Marty McSorley. HIs 2nd and 3rd seasons he played with Gretzky and Kurri.
then after gretzky left he was LW with kurri and jimmy carson, both scored 100 pts that year as edmonton’s 1A line

year after that, he was on the 1B line as messier had his mvp year, but tik was for my money the real mvp of the playoffs
In 1990 playoffs (for Edmonton), I would probably go:
1. Ranford
1. Messier
3. Simpson
4. Tikkanen
year after that he led the oilers in scoring
He did, but with 69 points.

He was the team's MVP of the 1991 playoff run, though. No doubt about that one!

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
Not exactly. His first season was 1985-86 and he mostly played on a line with Marty McSorley. HIs 2nd and 3rd seasons he played with Gretzky and Kurri.

So, playing 2/3 seasons at the start of his career with Gretzky and Kurri...Isn't beginning his career with Gretzky and Kurri? He didn't even play a full season in 85-86.

That somehow makes less than zero sense.

Reactions: Voight

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
It makes perfect sense and I was correct.

By the way, you really need a new line. Yours is generating less than zero respect.

Tikkanens first full season was on Gretzkys and Kurris wing. This is quite simple. So I stand by your post making less then zero sense, with all due respect.

Reactions: Voight

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
of course tikkanen was a top line player

he began his career with two cups as the LW on gretzky and kurri’s line

then after gretzky left he was LW with kurri and jimmy carson, both scored 100 pts that year as edmonton’s 1A line

year after that, he was on the 1B line as messier had his mvp year, but tik was for my money the real mvp of the playoffs

year after that he led the oilers in scoring

So, 3 years of his career he was on the top line? Yeah, no. He wasn't a consistent top line player the way Amonte and Graves were. Again, not saying Tikkanen isn't Hall worthy or couldn't have played longer on top lines, but that wasn't the perception of him. It's not just about stats with the Hall, but numbers that guys put up in their prime years. Right or wrong, that's how it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad