How good of a goal scorer is Gordie Howe?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No, that in part why Howe is clearly ahead, but how similar the field was ?

You can see my first message here, the comments started by looking at each their gap with their fields:

Howe biggest domination:
52-58
Howe....: .57
Beliveau: .52
Richard.: .52

Beliveau biggest one:
54-60
Beliveau.: .55
Geoffrion: .51
Richard..: .50
Howe.....: .50

What do you mean by "biggest one"? Seems you are trying too hard to combine their primes to the detriment of Howe.

Over Howe's four year peak, his GPG was 0.61 (Richard's was 0.53)
The avg. of the other players with the Top Ten GPG's (min. 200 games) was 0.37

Beliveau's best four year stretch '55 to '59, his GPG was 0.59 (Howe's was 0.54)
The avg. of the other players with the Top Ten GPG's (min. 200 games) was 0.43

Howe was 65% better than the avg. Top 10

Beliveau was 37% better than the avg. Top 10

Howe dominated the field in at least two seasons, '51/52 and 52/53, in a way that was clearly superior to Beliveau's best season in '55/56.

This is the starting point of the argument, not their raw GPGs. If you want to try to argue that a peak Howe would not be as dominant if he was the same age as Beliveau, I would be interested to hear why.

Reactions: MadLuke

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Seems you are trying too hard to combine their primes to the detriment of Howe.
Hard to chose all windows, went for a common 7 years to save time.

Was not using their raw gpg, (that why I put their elite competition with them just below)

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
When posters are saying things like "There's no reasonable opinion except (mine)" on a given topic — which is exactly what at least one poster in this thread has done — a part of me dies inside, because this forum at its best has often been just wonderful.

If someone said "Wayne Gretzky is the greatest point accumulator in hockey history, and there really isn't much of a case for anyone else" would you have that same reaction?

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
If someone said "Wayne Gretzky is the greatest point accumulator in hockey history, and there really isn't much of a case for anyone else" would you have that same reaction?
Your example is an objective statement. No one has as many points in their career as Wayne Gretzky. That's simply a fact. What was being reference was something subjective. It is tiresome to have some suggest that on something that's a matter of opinion, their view and theirs alone is correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad