How Does This Playoff Run Affect The Rebuild?

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Definitely stay the course and don't make any desperation moves to try to get the team to the next level. If one was to honestly assess the Flames, this club is still several pieces from being legitimate contenders. I could honestly see the team taking a step back next year in order to take 2 or 3 steps forward in 2016-17.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don't know that there's a change in direction imminent as a result of winning a playoff round. Still rebuilding, still looking at the future, but potentially doing that while winning some games.

The one thing that this small run will do is make Calgary a more attractive destination for free agents.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
As for whether they should stay the course, or try to improve... why not both? Make a few minor deals if it means improving the roster and not sacrificing youth.

As for what to expect for next season... while I get that a lot of guys had career years, this was also the first season where they've really been given the chance to step up. Hudler was always a middle 6 winger until this season. I also think Hartley's system really suited a lot of players here.

Now to decide if I'm gonna hop on a bandwagon or not.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Just looking at nhlnumbers.com, I'm starting to think that management is kind of unable to bring in any higher priced FA's even if they wanted to. You have way too many guys that need contracts after next season: Gio, Monahan, Gaudreau, Hiller, Hudler, Colborne, Russell.. I think you stay the course no question. I don't think we have much of a choice.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, we can't really be spending much this year since the 2016 offseason is going to be a huge year (unless re-signings are occurring throughout the 15/16 season prior to the offseason).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad