How do you think the Hawks will end up this season? (all star break poll)

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
We're going to the WCF, fom there it's anyones guess. We're on the same level as the Kings this year and we all know they can play playoff hockey just as well as the Hawks. I got a feeling we're going to be in for another heart attack of a WCF like 2014.

Yeah, I agree at least WCF.

But.....how good is LA "intangible" wise. They lost Williams and he CARRIED them in EVERY game 7. Kopitar didn't, Tafolli didn't.

They also lost Voynov and Mitchell? or something like that. So that group when was a TOUGH out, I just don't know on LA. Good reg season team, can they still score in the PO's. I would love if SJ could knock them out, or Ana, but I don't think Ana makes it.

Too early for this, let this start up again post TDL.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks path to WCF is easiest if they avoid playing a series against both the Avs and the Kings....what we want is for another team to knock the Avs (whose speed and a Varlamov getting hot) out in their 1st round ...AND for tge Kings to meet STL in the 2nd round and they knock each other around such that the victor has nothing remaining for the WCF...for this to happen ,there must be a 2nd wild card from the Central who tge Hawks as 1st seed in the West beat in their round #1 and K. A. must be 1st in the Pacific and beat the 1st wild card from the Central in their first series. ..and STL as 2 or 3 in the Central beats tge 2 or 3 other Central team in their first series..That would mean STL plays L.A. in their 2nd series and the Hawks play the winner of the 2 v. 3 in round one if the Pacific series of thise 2 teams which have lower points than STL (I hope) ..and that means easiest path to the Cup Final because the victor in the STL v.L.A. pound fest will have nothing left in the WCF. But all this means Hawks cannot coast in the last 28 games..I have already conceded our first game back against the Avs to a Colorado win because of Bettman's Guarantee Avs win night (since Hawks are Toewsless in Denver)...but in the last 28 Hawks had better secure 1st in the West.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Honestly, even though they've had some regular season success against us and we normally don't do well with speed, I would want to play the Av's in the first round. There is just no way a team with that defense is going to be able to take us in a 7 game series. Varlamov would have to completely steal the series. I'm talking about some ridiculous .965 sv%, absolutely standing on his head type of performance. Plus it's nice to play a team like the Av's in the first round that isn't overly physical. If we can get into the WCF without being too banged up, I like our chances.

And fiddy I don't know why your throwing in the towel for the Av's game. You've been riding Toews all year saying how bad he's been playing. Now that he's suspended we have no chance? :popcorn:

Plus there's a possibility Varlamov might not be available.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Nashville will squeak in and we can destroy them first round, meanwhile, la is going to win the Pacific, no question, so we can't play them until third round earliest. Dallas beats stl round 1, hello sharp and co. round 2. No way we don't get la round 3

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Is there any scenario in which Dallas and LA would have to face off before we faced either of them? Having to go through both of those teams really seems like a tall order

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Is there any scenario in which Dallas and LA would have to face off before we faced either of them? Having to go through both of those teams really seems like a tall order

Dallas would need to bottom out pretty badly for that to happen.

Killer Boots Man

Jul 8, 2015

Would love that, but I think the only way that happens is if (1) we end the season with a points lead on the Kings, AND (2) Dallas completely tanks and slips to the second Wild Card spot.

We currently have 7 points on the Kings, so #1 is definitely possible, but Dallas is 11 points up on Nashville, who currently sit in the second wild card spot, so # 2 doesn't look very likely.

Would love to face Dallas (or the Preds or the Ducks) after Lucic and co. beats up on them but loses.

Man Reay

Peanut Gallery
Oct 1, 2013
Big Chicago
Kings are enough to give one pause and I wonder if Breadman can maintain productivity once playoff hockey starts.

All in for another Blackhawk Cup anyway. Can't doubt these guys.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Hawks path to WCF is easiest if they avoid playing a series against both the Avs and the Kings....what we want is for another team to knock the Avs (whose speed and a Varlamov getting hot) out in their 1st round ...AND for tge Kings to meet STL in the 2nd round and they knock each other around such that the victor has nothing remaining for the WCF...for this to happen ,there must be a 2nd wild card from the Central who tge Hawks as 1st seed in the West beat in their round #1 and K. A. must be 1st in the Pacific and beat the 1st wild card from the Central in their first series. ..and STL as 2 or 3 in the Central beats tge 2 or 3 other Central team in their first series..That would mean STL plays L.A. in their 2nd series and the Hawks play the winner of the 2 v. 3 in round one if the Pacific series of thise 2 teams which have lower points than STL (I hope) ..and that means easiest path to the Cup Final because the victor in the STL v.L.A. pound fest will have nothing left in the WCF. But all this means Hawks cannot coast in the last 28 games..I have already conceded our first game back against the Avs to a Colorado win because of Bettman's Guarantee Avs win night (since Hawks are Toewsless in Denver)...but in the last 28 Hawks had better secure 1st in the West.

I once made the mistake of wishing for phoenix in the first round. Never again. At the same time I am confident that Hawks stack up well against most teams in WC, so I dont mind any opponent as long as Hawks are completely healthy.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
I once made the mistake of wishing for phoenix in the first round. Never again. At the same time I am confident that Hawks stack up well against most teams in WC, so I dont mind any opponent as long as Hawks are completely healthy.

In 2013, I was rooting for det to beat ana. On Facebook, I announced my allegiance to the wings to knock out the ducks so we would play the wings in round 2. When the wings wound up going up 3-1 on the hawks, I never heard the end of it. Then the hawks came back and won the series. They never heard the end of it from me after that. Bottom line, I lost several Facebook friends.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, I'm not going to count anybody out, but that being said the Wild are the team with the worst track record against us. Not going to discount them or the Blues or the Preds or the Stars or the Avs or the Kings or anybody else, but over the past three years we're 12-3 against them when it actually matters and I honestly think Crow and Kane especially are in their heads.

I respect the hell out of plenty of teams, but I'm not afraid of anybody in the West. Kings're the closest to that for me, but even they I categorize as the team I respect the most.

And I agree with RBI. I'm not going to root for any individual matchup. Whoever we play, bring 'em on. I'm not going to say that I'd be shocked if we get bounced in an earlier round, nor would it be indicative of anything as sometimes great teams just get beat, but I'm not going to bet against this team either.

Last edited:

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Minnesota remains the Central team that scares me the most

Why? In 2013 we won the pres trophy for the first time since 91 when MINNESOTA upset us and knocked us out. Didn't matter, won. Then the rematch in 2014. We won. Third times the charm for them, right? Swept them last year.

They can't beat the hawks in a 7 game series. Period.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Eh, I'm not going to count anybody out, but that being said the Wild are the team with the worst track record against us. Not going to discount them or the Blues or the Preds or the Stars or the Avs or the Kings or anybody else, but over the past three years we're 12-3 against them and I honestly think Crow and Kane especially are in their heads.

I respect the hell out of plenty of teams, but I'm not afraid of anybody in the West. Kings're the closest to that for me, but even they I categorize as the team I respect the most.

And I agree with RBI. I'm not going to root for any individual matchup. Whoever we play, bring 'em on.

Mike Rupp actually said it perfectly on NHLN recently when talking about Kane. He said he was still with the Wild when Kane scored this goal to kick off that series:

And he said he remembers see the look on some of the guys faces after that, the "Oh ****, here we go again"

tomcho

Apr 27, 2010
Chicago
Mike Rupp actually said it perfectly on NHLN recently when talking about Kane. He said he was still with the Wild when Kane scored this goal to kick off that series:

And he said he remembers see the look on some of the guys faces after that, the "Oh ****, here we go again"

That made my Monday, Showtime! Brodin looked like one of the defenders on my beer league team on that play.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
I expect at least a second round appearance. Ideally we'll have another WCF Kings-Hawks rematch. Then, who knows.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I actually agree about the Wild being our biggest threat. IF they are on they can play the D needed to keep scoring low enough to beat us. The issue is them being on.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'll be disappointed if they don't make it to the WCF. There really aren't any easy matchups, or teams that I'd want the Hawks to play, but until proven otherwise there isn't a team in the West that's better than us. The Kings are most likely on the same level, but certainly not better.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I expect at least a second round appearance. Ideally we'll have another WCF Kings-Hawks rematch. Then, who knows.

Personally, I'd just rather the Kings lose in the first round. The romantic thought of beating them could give way to a series loss. Let's just play the Sharks and be done with them.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Watched about 15 Hawks games this year.

I've seen nothing that indicates to me they shouldn't be favourites to come out of the West, at the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad