How do YOU see us finishing next year in the standings?

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
This team is in for a duplicate season to what SJ just had.

Reckon that's about right.

We'll get slightly worse as everyone's another year older and we (hopefully) give some time to some kids who take a bit of time to adjust.

With SJ, as I think it will be with us, it will be other teams going past us more than us going backwards. It's hard to see any of the current playoff teams dropping out, and then you have LA who will be pissed about not making it, Dallas who had a horror injury run. Bonus points to Colorado provided they trade for or sign a couple of decent defencemen.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Just like last year many people think (hope?:sarcasm:) that Canucks will be bad next year. I didn't buy into that before and won't for next season. I don't necessarily think team will finish 2nd in division, but will be better team. Really like what I saw from Horvat. I also think Bonino + Sbisa will have better seasons after having time to get used to the team. Virtanen will also add some bite.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Deal the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Higgins, Miller, Hansen and Bieksa for a bunch of youth and we might have something to look forward to. If we go back into next season with the same stale group of chokers, then empty seats and a lack of interest the franchise will deserve. The time to build for the future is now. Stumbling into the playoffs, only to get embarrassed again, because most of our group is not willing to sacrifice their bodies, and play physical to win when it counts is unacceptable. I don't give a **** what they e done in the regular seasons in Vancouver. They aren't winners and aren't willing to do the things it takes to ever be....So good riddance IMO.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
It really depends on how many young prospect made the team, if Virtanen, McCann can make the team, then probably top 5.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Unless our prospects have a significant impact, no. Dallas and Colorado are going to be better next season, as is LA. I suspect Calgary will regress a little while Edmonton starts to climb up. I just do not have much faith in either Benning or WD right now to be optimistic, though perhaps WD learns from his abysmal coaching decisions. Another big concern is Sbisa. If he doesn't improve tremendously, we are wasting a spot to justify arguably the dumbest signing all season.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Offense helped the cause this year, though there were many one goal games and close calls that could have gone the other way.

I think we were fortunate to see several teams below us go through a down year. Lots of things went right this season. The Canucks will likely take a step back and many teams that finished below us are poised to get better.

I have us finishing 10th-14th in the west with a collapse occurring in Feb. Arizona and SJ will be near the bottom too.

30 goals lost from Weber and Matthias

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Sedins
Decent top pairing in Edler and Tanev
Decent goaltending
Horvat - thinking he's going to make a step and have a beast of a year

This will be enough to keep them in the top 20 but barely.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
11th in the west, in front of Edmonton, Arizona, and SJ.

Close to what I think. I have Arizona alone at the bottom. I think Edmonton (D, Goalies), Vancouver (D, Offense), San Jose (If Wilson still there) and Colorado (that D!) battle for the next four spots. Dallas needs to add on D and need better performance from their goalies. Winnipeg should really emerge next year but will still be swimming upstream against a tough division.

Making the playoffs is entirely based on staying ahead of Calgary. We have 0 chance of grabbing a wildcard spot.

> 100
Anaheim (1)
St Louis (1)
Chicago (2)
LA (2)
-------------
95-100
Minnesota (3)
Nashville (WC)
Winnipeg (WC)
Dallas (-)
Calgary (3)
---------------
80-94
Colorado
Vancouver
San Jose
Edmonton
-----------------
<80
Arizona

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Without significant roster or coaching change? More of the same: just good enough to get into the playoffs, not good enough to do anything there.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
LA and Dallas are going to bounce back next year. I really can't see us making the playoffs while other teams improve and we have to trim our roster to fit ****ing luca sbisa.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Very unrealistic unless your expecting us to go full rebuild or something.

Carolina, Buffalo, Arizona, New Jersey, Toronto and Philly (Maybe not philly) will for sure be ahead of us.

You can't really put Philly and Carolina with the rest of those teams. They have the talent to be much, much better. They are really held back by bad contracts and thin D. I could see both teams figuring out how to resolve those issues.

NJ, Tor, Ari, Buf are in a class of their own.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Benning and WD and TL will give us stories of optimism,and hope going forward.And the way i see it, we will have the same ageing stale core of a team next year.Maybe with 1 or 2 young guys making the team.This organization needs to stop with the being loyal to the vets on this team and start being realistic.We have done this year after year and with the same results. Its time for some new meat and potatoes on this team.

Sorry boys you had your chance---

Bieska-NTC-you need to go asap because i can not stand another year of WD pairing you with Sbisa.You too are a train wreck together.Once a warrior-no more.

Higgins-NTC-sorry but we need to inject more youth on this team,and you have become very inconsistent.And your beard is out of control.

Burrows-NTC-once a warrior,just not cutting it any more.

Hamhuis-NTC-Hate to give up on this guy,but he is starting to wear down fast.

Hanson-This guy can stay or go,but if we can get picks,,i am all for it.

Kassian-Benning says he is not moving him,but WD hates playing him.He was either injured or riding the pine,or in the press box.Do we have a Shaw Antoski?or a Cam Neeley,,will never no with this guy.-i see a trade comming.

Well ,we will see what happens,dont hold your breath for much.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
The only team that's definitely better than us in our division next year is Anaheim. To all the people who claim we're gonna be a bottom 5 team with Edmonton and Arizona next year, I question if you actually follow the NHL. LA could have a bounce back year, but Calgary, San Jose and Dallas are all pretty comparable to the Canucks. It's gonna be another bubble year but there's no reason to think we can't make playoffs again.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
LA and Dallas are going to bounce back next year. I really can't see us making the playoffs while other teams improve and we have to trim our roster to fit ****ing luca sbisa.

Unless Dallas improves their defense significantly they're gonna miss the playoffs again. Sbisa would be a top 4 dman on the Stars.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
The only team that's definitely better than us in our division next year is Anaheim. To all the people who claim we're gonna be a bottom 5 team with Edmonton and Arizona next year, I question if you actually follow the NHL. LA could have a bounce back year, but Calgary, San Jose and Dallas are all pretty comparable to the Canucks. It's gonna be another bubble year but there's no reason to think we can't make playoffs again.
Ya ok,you go on thinking that.We are comparable with SJ and Dallas only.And the did not make the playoffs.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Ya ok,you go on thinking that.We are comparable with SJ and Dallas only.And the did not make the playoffs.

Both the Stars and Sharks were only a few wins out of the playoffs. There's a big difference between finishing with 90 points and finishing with 60.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
With Sbieksa as the 3rd pair all season getting 18mins a game I fully expect to finish out of the playoffs. Like not even close.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
For next year I would predict another top 10 team at this point.

If we get luckier with the health of our backend next yr, and year two increased comfort levels between coach's system and new players, and a healthier Miller...

Hell... Just health all around... With the exception of the Twins remaining healthy all yr, we were banged up all yr with key personnel missing significant time.

I imagine we get a few lucky bounces going our way in the injury department next yr to help balance the last two seasons... And development of a couple key youth..

Also looking around our division and conference, and looking at other teams and their cap situations, and trying to predict where or who they'll re-sign or let go or lose.... It looks like we'll be be about where we were this yr.. Plus minus a couple points.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
LA - the key to their continued mediocrity next season is if they fail to sign Sekera. Please god walk... Please go test the waters on July 1st! Voynov?
UFa's- Williams, Stoll, and Reghr already retired. If it's up their fans, These guys will all walk.

Wpg - UFAs - Folik, Stemniak, Slater, Pardy, Stafford., Tlusty. Meh...

Cgy has a lot of cap space... Will be interesting to see who they can attract to that province/market.

Minny - Dubnyk re-signing will be an interesting storyline. Vezina finalist and all. Will effect their ability to add anyone.

Dallas- depends on who they can attract for their D... Couldn't do anything going into last season... We'll see what Nill can do..

Van- Matthias and Richardson walk. Ooooooo..

It sure looks like we'll be relatively close to around where we ranked this season.. In the West.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Deal the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Higgins, Miller, Hansen and Bieksa for a bunch of youth and we might have something to look forward to. If we go back into next season with the same stale group of chokers, then empty seats and a lack of interest the franchise will deserve. The time to build for the future is now. Stumbling into the playoffs, only to get embarrassed again, because most of our group is not willing to sacrifice their bodies, and play physical to win when it counts is unacceptable. I don't give a **** what they e done in the regular seasons in Vancouver. They aren't winners and aren't willing to do the things it takes to ever be....So good riddance IMO.

Pretty much this. This year we were going to miss the playoffs and LA and Bost were in the finals.

We have this negative crap every year. Sorry guys, but we were close in this series. Yeah, sad that we collapsed in game 6, that we never should have lost. (I was going to game 7 damn it). But the future is now history is garbage. We actually have like 8 players in Utica or jrs. that could be with the Canucks within a year. Sigh.

Do none of you guys remember the 70's? Oh right ... you don't.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
it all depends on what happens this offseason. would it really shock anyone if calgary is unable to replicate their success this season? it isn't so far fetched to imagine this team competing for a playoff spot. i think the leadership group has the right idea of bringing up young player in a competitive organization. after their due diligence i'm sure they will make the appropriate moves. It very likely will not be a make over many canucks fans want to see, but rather a continuation of where benning left of last off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad