How do you fix the Wings?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wallman did something down the stretch to land himself on the shit list. Yzerman will move him the second he finds an acceptable deal.

I dunno. Did something really happen?

I remember it was that Arizona / Vegas road trip..?

Didn't really think Walman as trade bait.

But more I think of it, he should have some trade value.

Maybe the highest value of all, who we could think as trade baits.

There is still the need to open LD slots for younger defencemen.

If Määttä and Chiarot will stay for their last years, Walman could go and open a spot for Edvinsson.

Määttä will walk year after and will open a full-time spot for Johansson. Chiarot will be gone after 2 seasons, and will open a spot for Wallinder.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There was one practice presser where Lalonde made some cryptic statement and that he was healthy but not himself or something. I'd have to get bored to dig through and find it.

Think that was on this tour...

1718642386219.png

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Think that was on this tour...

View attachment 883604
He played in most of those games. It was for a practice asking about his absence.

Edit - found it. From 4/9 practice video. 11:45

"You know Wally's still... you can tell he's not himself, but will be available for us."

He didn't play in the 5 games after that comment, I don't remember him being mentioned again. But I can check.

April 11th he makes another nebulous "not himself" comment. Which was almost immediately followed with "We're trying to win tonight and we're gonna stay with the D corp that's given us some pretty good team hockey of late." So medically cleared, but not willing to switch to him playing.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman might think about what's available in goal.

No shit, every GM does that.

(@Ricelund , not directed at you, just the info)

Yzerman has brought in a new goalie every off-season since he returned to Detroit.

I thought this summer he would stand pat because we have Husso/Lyon and Cossa as 3rd option.

Also interesting that every damn season the backup has been better and starter has mostly failed.

2018-19
1. Howard
2. Bernier

Yzerman starts:
2019-20
1. Bernier (did steal the starter role from Howard)
2. Howard (retired after the season)

Yzerman will sign UFA Tomas Greiss
2020-21
1. Greiss (did steal the starter role from Bernier)
2. Bernier

Yzerman will trade fo Alex Nedeljkovic
2021-22
1. Nedeljkovic (did steal the starter role from Greiss)
2. Greiss

Yzerman will sign UFA Ville Husso
2022-23
1. Husso (did steal the starter role from Nedeljkovic)
2. Nedeljkovic

Yzerman will sign UFAs Lyon and Reimer
2023-24
1. Lyon 44 games (did steal the starter role from Husso)
2. Bernier 25 games
3. Husso 19 games

So, at 2024-25 Yzerman will do a move again...? Starter Lyon will fail and the new guy will take the load?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yzerman has brought in a new goalie every off-season since he returned to Detroit.

I thought this summer he would stand pat because we have Husso/Lyon and Cossa as 3rd option.

Also interesting that every damn season the backup has been better and starter has mostly failed.

2018-19
1. Howard
2. Bernier

Yzerman starts:
2019-20
1. Bernier (did steal the starter role from Howard)
2. Howard (retired after the season)

Yzerman will sign UFA Tomas Greiss
2020-21
1. Greiss (did steal the starter role from Bernier)
2. Bernier

Yzerman will trade fo Alex Nedeljkovic
2021-22
1. Nedeljkovic (did steal the starter role from Greiss)
2. Greiss

Yzerman will sign UFA Ville Husso
2022-23
1. Husso (did steal the starter role from Nedeljkovic)
2. Nedeljkovic

Yzerman will sign UFAs Lyon and Reimer
2023-24
1. Lyon 44 games (did steal the starter role from Husso)
2. Bernier 25 games
3. Husso 19 games

So, at 2024-25 Yzerman will do a move again...? Starter Lyon will fail and the new guy will take the load?
Husso's buyout number is pretty cheap with a year left so I could see Stevie looking for an upgrade in goal but I don't expect him to back up the brinks truck to do it in UFA or trade. We need a guy for a couple of years until Cossa is hopefully ready.

With Lyon as our starter we do need someone that can play a decent chunk of games because he has never played a full starters load. I think spreading it out will help him not to breakdown like he did last season at the end, but he also isn't going to be able to play 60 games either.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I like Walman. I hope he didn't kick somebody's dog or something.
I like him too, but he is great cap value and might be a LD that can be used to bring in a serious upgrade to the top 6. The wings still have a year or two of building to do, I would like a Holl to Wild (send him home) in a package for Gustavsson, they could us a robust RD and buy out Husso if one cannot LTIR him or roll with 3 goalies until the TDL. Need to get the new kids engaged and grow over the next few seasons.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Who are the "available goalies"? The UFA market doesn't look good. Markstrom, Gibson, Binnington are the only trade names I recall seeing, but they are very expensive and would cost alot of futures to get. Those wouldn't make sense...

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I have heard light rumblings the Islanders have buyers remorse with Sorokin. I don't believe it myself but...

Would love for Stevie to pull that heist off.

Reactions: jkutswings

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Who are the "available goalies"? The UFA market doesn't look good. Markstrom, Gibson, Binnington are the only trade names I recall seeing, but they are very expensive and would cost alot of futures to get. Those wouldn't make sense...
None of the trade options are super appealing...Gustavsson is a potential cost effective option and is due a bounce back year (seems every second year he does well) so the wings might get a good year and a bit out of him until Cossa is a little more seasoned, but not too many decent and cost effective 40+ game goalies available out there...

SY might be able to send Holl to his home State for Gustavsson straight up or toss in some balancing picks from each side? The cap is an issue to both clubs, so a cap swap to address each team needs might work as a hockey trade.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I would be shocked if any of them cost either
- a top 15 pick
- a prospect drafted in the top 15

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Given how much SY likes trading with St. Louis, I'd bet he's looking hard at Binnington.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The old tweets? Or am I missing something?
No, his on-ice antics. Starting scrums, fake slashing at people, getting himself tossed when he's playing shitty. He's LARPing as Hextall a lot. When your own coach says "Just play goal, stop the puck." in reference to that stuff... it's a bit much. Like if Avery played goalie.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
No, his on-ice antics. Starting scrums, fake slashing at people, getting himself tossed when he's playing shitty. He's LARPing as Hextall a lot. When your own coach says "Just play goal, stop the puck." in reference to that stuff... it's a bit much. Like if Avery played goalie.
Ah, ok. I only ever glance at that stuff. But you're probably right that it isn't something SY would have a ton of patience for unless he thought it was stuff that could be coached out of him here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad