Tribute How do you feel about Mark Giordano...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you see as the likely future of Gio?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I think the big question is does Treliving bring him back next season as a 7d in a mentor role for a minimal salary? I know Giordano would be up for it but would it work given how far his game can drop off at times. I'd be all for it personally.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think the big question is does Treliving bring him back next season as a 7d in a mentor role for a minimal salary? I know Giordano would be up for it but would it work given how far his game can drop off at times. I'd be all for it personally.
No way Gio is on the team next season, at least as a player, he’s had a impressive career, but time waits for no man. It’s time to call it a career………

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
No way Gio is on the team next season, at least as a player, he’s had a impressive career, but time waits for no man. It’s time to call it a career………
I don't know if it's that cut and dry. If Gio has a strong stretch run and performs well in the playoffs then having him back is a possibility. Treliving has history with him and he loves being a Leaf so I can see it happening. It all depends on how he plays in the playoffs IMO.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't know if it's that cut and dry. If Gio has a strong stretch run and performs well in the playoffs then having him back is a possibility. Treliving has history with him and he loves being a Leaf so I can see it happening. It all depends on how he plays in the playoffs IMO.
well I hope if his career continues it's with another team, he's old and can't do it anymore, nothing wrong with getting old...........

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I like Gio and was just trying to think about a way to have him come back and play a very bit role and provide leadership and depth come playoffs.

I don't see how we could do that. Could we justify him taking a roster spot and blocking our accruing of cap space?

How about this? We sign him and we send him down to the Marlies a lot. He doesn't play for them or even travel with them (unless he wants to) but he does practice with them and stays in shape. He serves as a bit of a player/coach with the Marlies and mentors the Niemelas, Webers, Myers, and Rifais. We call him up when we need him and play him 20 or 30 games a year and maybe he practices with the team half of the year?

We sign him to a one way, $900k contract and he lets it know if anyone claims him on waivers he may retire....I think Spezza did this.

Could it work? Is it worth it?

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
I like Gio and was just trying to think about a way to have him come back and play a very bit role and provide leadership and depth come playoffs.

I don't see how we could do that. Could we justify him taking a roster spot and blocking our accruing of cap space?

How about this? We sign him and we send him down to the Marlies a lot. He doesn't play for them or even travel with them (unless he wants to) but he does practice with them and stays in shape. He serves as a bit of a player/coach with the Marlies and mentors the Niemelas, Webers, Myers, and Rifais. We call him up when we need him and play him 20 or 30 games a year and maybe he practices with the team half of the year?

We sign him to a one way, $900k contract and he lets it know if anyone claims him on waivers he may retire....I think Spezza did this.

Could it work? Is it worth it?
If possible I'd rather just sign him as an official coach for the Marlies D. If he does successfully mentor some young Dmen and improve our farm teams overall D performance then we promote him in a few years.

Reactions: LeafSteel

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If possible I'd rather just sign him as an official coach for the Marlies D. If he does successfully mentor some young Dmen and improve our farm teams overall D performance then we promote him in a few years.

Yeah, that requires him to retire though and he doesn't sound ready for that.

The approach I outlined is more transitional and gives us some depth and maybe a "win for Gio" factor too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, that requires him to retire though and he doesn't sound ready for that.

The approach I outlined is more transitional and gives us some depth and maybe a "win for Gio" factor too.
It’s hard to see the Leafs having any interest in bringing him back.
I could see him as a mentor on a young team like Chicago say and then moving as depth at the deadline

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I appreciate Gio, he’s been a warrior and should be template for all our D to emulate.

Having said that, he’s done and should retire so as to not diminish his own legacy.

We cannot stifle or lose any young defenceman in order to keep him. Losing Lagesson should be a lesson in itself.

Would love to offer Gio a coaching/development role on the club, but as a player he’s done and if he wants to chase a playing role, then he needs to go somewhere else.

Reactions: rumman

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It’s hard to see the Leafs having any interest in bringing him back.
I could see him as a mentor on a young team like Chicago say and then moving as depth at the deadline
Yeah, I have no sense for their interest and can see them not having a fit. My approach was a way to get him here and not have it tie up a spot or cap space.

Reactions: ACC1224

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
1725722195041.gif

Reactions: rumman

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
He was a heck of a player for many years but at this point I don't see him taking a regular shift on any team that is expecting to compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad