How Do You Expect To Feel About The Avs Deadline?

How Do You Expect To Feel About The Avs Deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Voted "satisified".. But after watching this team tonight and on this roadie, i really start to realize that we (might) have way more problems and holes to fix than i imagined....And i really start to doubt we can fix this at the TDL.....

Such things are fixed in the summer. And we failed on this part.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
No, in real time it was wrong time to do it. That team was beat to all hell, Mac/Sakic knew it and TDL pick ups weren't going solve their problem - health. Lars Eller was fine - they gave up too much, but that was the going rate. But the Avs were so beat up, he was playing way out of position and never had a chance to play the actual position he was signed for.
I think this year is the wrong year too.Sell and reload up on assets for a summer deal.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Not saying those guys do stuff just because the fans demand it. But they don't live or work in a bubble either. They feel pressure too. They knew that they had to do something . . . but whatever they did was not gonna make a difference. Had they known Nuke was gonna go AWOL and that Landeskog was definitely out out at the TDL . . . I think they they would have shut it down. And yes, I'm sure they wish they had that 2nd round pick at the moment.

They're not perfect. But going "all in, every year" is not smart. Or possible. Ask the Rangers and Bruins.
What of the retention on Eller lol and they knew Landy wasn't coming back

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Before we won the cup in '22 there was a lot of talk about going all in, we had to win at least one cup with this core. Most people would be satisfied with one cup, and that much was stated several times - just find a way to win a cup.

Now, just two years removed from winning we are talking about firing CMac AND Sakic? Winning a cup is hard, we were lucky to be so dominant. No team has come close to that in the cap era. That's a team Sakic and CMac built, and we are unlikely to ever be able to ice a team that good again.

Neither will be fired until we start missing the playoffs. We are going into our 7th straight playoff appearance. No one is getting fired.

You're entitled to be disappointed with TDL and off season moves, but I think you're deluded if you think either of their jobs are on the line right now.
You make good points, @SirLoinOfCloth, but what people are saying to management is, please ice a team that has a punchers chance of winning it all. It does not have to be dominant, but it has to be good enough to have a chance to win it. Tampa has been able to do it consistently over the last few years. Trading their good players and bringing in other players, but still able to compete at that high level. The problem with the Avs is since we won the cup, we have been a first round team. We were last season, and probably are again this season.

Reactions: Alienblood

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
You make good points, @SirLoinOfCloth, but what people are saying to management is, please ice a team that has a punchers chance of winning it all. It does not have to be dominant, but it has to be good enough to have a chance to win it. Tampa has been able to do it consistently over the last few years. Trading their good players and bringing in other players, but still able to compete at that high level. The problem with the Avs is since we won the cup, we have been a first round team. We were last season, and probably are again this season.
Fair enough, we were a first round exit last year. But we had a hell of a year of injuries. I would personally give management a mulligan for that. The eller trade is a head scratcher but ultimately that team was never going on a deep run, coupled with the will-he-won't-he uncertainty of a Landy return, last year was a mess.

Let's wait and see what we do this year. The TDL hasn't past and the playoffs haven't begun, so we can't judge the FO on what hasn't even happened yet. Everyone is being very impatient, with every day that passes it's like another stain against CMac's reputation, because he hasn't made a trade when posters want him to. I'll hold my breath and wait for the TDL, then make any judgements.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
don’t got a lot of assets to deal away…….i can’t believe our window is closing so damn quick. Not trading Lando years ago will bite for a long time. I know he’s popular and people love him but that was the shrewd move to make.

Reactions: Snow Arc

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
don’t got a lot of assets to deal away…….i can’t believe our window is closing so damn quick. Not trading Lando years ago will bite for a long time. I know he’s popular and people love him but that was the shrewd move to make.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
Fair enough, we were a first round exit last year. But we had a hell of a year of injuries. I would personally give management a mulligan for that. The eller trade is a head scratcher but ultimately that team was never going on a deep run, coupled with the will-he-won't-he uncertainty of a Landy return, last year was a mess.

Let's wait and see what we do this year. The TDL hasn't past and the playoffs haven't begun, so we can't judge the FO on what hasn't even happened yet. Everyone is being very impatient, with every day that passes it's like another stain against CMac's reputation, because he hasn't made a trade when posters want him to. I'll hold my breath and wait for the TDL, then make any judgements.
The truth of the matter is that there are difficult decisions ahead. To get what we want (very good 2C), we will need to give up a significant piece. Maybe that is where Cmac gets weary of having to make that big decision. Giving up a Byram, aint no small thing, no matter what folks on this board might think. However, maybe moving draft capital plus one of Behren or Callum, might be the way forward. But like you said, let's wait and see before throwing the baby out. And the possible return of Landy and Nuke just changes our entire outlook

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Its easy to blame injuries but whats indicting is roster makeover in the offseason, which can be seen as a clear admission by mgt that the roster, especially the bottom 6, wasnt good enough. They even traded the player who was to be their future 2C.

Injuries were a part of it but there was more to it than that.

And the Eller trade just used an asset to add more dead weight.

The scary part was no effort at course correction for the roster until the offseason. People should really be open minded about a big range of outcomes including disappointing ones.

Its possible that nothing meaningful will be done because CM feels its too costly to fix more of his mistakes and also because the only lesso. learned last year was to not waste an asset on guys like Eller.

Reactions: jabubenice

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think it's as simple as this:

The Avs don't win the Cup without Landeskog. Yeah they might've still had MacK, Mikko, and Makar, and a burgeoning Bo Byram; but they do not win the Cup without Gabe Landeskog on the team.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Voted "satisified".. But after watching this team tonight and on this roadie, i really start to realize that we (might) have way more problems and holes to fix than i imagined....And i really start to doubt we can fix this at the TDL.....

Such things are fixed in the summer. And we failed on this part.
Our defense haven’t really changed but now they are all shit. I don’t know what to make of it. Our defense doesn’t know how to defend, our goalies can’t make a save and our depth is non existent.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

The Avs don't win the Cup without Landeskog. Yeah they might've still had MacK, Mikko, and Makar, and a burgeoning Bo Byram; but they do not win the Cup without Gabe Landeskog on the team.
I tend to lean this direction as well, but the one thing that gives me pause is that the Avs were able to win the cup in 01 without Forsberg. Doubt they get through LA without him, but he was out-of-commission the rest of the way (final two rounds) and they won. Took seven games against the Devils, but they still won.

As for the original topic. while I truly expect to be disappointed, I am trying my best to not judge this team until after the deadline. We absolutely knew going into the season that this would not be the final roster. There is no reason to think something has changed just because the two obvious C's have been removed from the trade table. Most trade acquisitions of worth are not rentals. If the Avs plan was to get a C with term, then absolutely nothing has changed even with those two off the table.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just don't see anybody available who would be a substantial upgrade on RyJo. Finding a better backup than Annunen is a piece of cake, but a 2C who moves the needle is a tall order at the deadline, especially with Lindholm already snapped up.

Roslovic? That's another gamble, he's been ass this year and has never proved to be consistently any better than Ross Colton. Henrique? Another risk, he's having a good season but he's old. Wennberg? Not good enough. Laughton? Same deal.

I expect to be disappointed, I suppose, but there's also really nothing to hope for. Unless something big is in the making for a guy who is an RFA who we can bridge for a couple seasons, I think CMac is going to go shopping at the deadline and find all the shelves empty. This is a pretty lousy crop of rental forwards this season, especially on the top end.

Reactions: jabubenice

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I just don't see anybody available who would be a substantial upgrade on RyJo. Finding a better backup than Annunen is a piece of cake, but a 2C who moves the needle is a tall order at the deadline, especially with Lindholm already snapped up.

Roslovic? That's another gamble, he's been ass this year and has never proved to be consistently any better than Ross Colton. Henrique? Another risk, he's having a good season but he's old. Wennberg? Not good enough. Laughton? Same deal.

I expect to be disappointed, I suppose, but there's also really nothing to hope for. Unless something big is in the making for a guy who is an RFA who we can bridge for a couple seasons, I think CMac is going to go shopping at the deadline and find all the shelves empty. This is a pretty lousy crop of rental forwards this season, especially on the top end.
Mittelstadt would probably work but then the Avs would be making that deal and with the likelihood of signing him to a long-term contract. I don't know how they feel about the player to be doing that but that kid has improved a ton over the past 2 years. My favourite stat on him is that he's 54% on defensive zone faceoffs.

Nelson - if he becomes available - is the best scenario for the Avs because he's got this year and next on his contract and then he's a UFA. The Avs can then give Ritchie a look at that time.

Apart from those 2 guys, there isn't much there that solves the #2C slot. At some point though,.the Avs are going to pay up to avoid being bridesmaids. They may not win the cup but at least they'll have tried.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Not to mention Gabe was 2nd on the team in goals, and 4th in points with 11 goals 22 points in 20 playoff games.

And even though +/- is an incredibly flawed stat, it's telling that on a Cup team that was the most dominant in decades, he was tied with Bo Byram for the team lead with +15 through four rounds.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Not to mention Gabe was 2nd on the team in goals, and 4th in points with 11 goals 22 points in 20 playoff games.

And even though +/- is an incredibly flawed stat, it's telling that on a Cup team that was the most dominant in decades, he was tied with Bo Byram for the team lead with +15 through four rounds.

Sometimes you gotta step away from the ledge and appreciate just how good that 2022 team was. That squad was a monster - fast, tough, deep, skilled and smart. Everything fell into place that year, all the trades and deals worked and the Avs did a 16-4 Sherman's March through the NHL. But with the salary cap, it was impossible to keep it all together.

Anybody looking for repeat of that team is gonna get disappointed. No, the 2024 Avs aren't at that level. The good news is that nobody else is either.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Hope you all have something on standby (cleaning liquids / implements) to wipe all the egg off your faces when we bring the cup back to Denver this season :cool:

I have NO idea where or why there's so much confidence lacking !!

Hasn't Super Joe and Cmac done enough to garnish some support out of our fanbase?

1708125250951.jpeg

Now some appropriate & amazing Aussie music for you to cheer and fire you all up ! - Follow the Sun !

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00