How do the Panthers fans feel about Bob’s contract now ?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Well,

1. Bob was bad for his first three years here. It was not just 'team defense.' Up until the 2022 playoffs, Bob repeatedly lost his net to guys like Spencer Knight and Chris Driedger. Those guys played behind the same defense, but got better results. Those are just facts.

2. Bob has consistently been good since the Panthers adjusted to and started actually playing Paul Maurice's defensive system. Most teams do not have consistently good goaltending. I think Bob has been the best overall goaltender (RS/PS) in the NHL since calendar year 2023 began.

3. Bob takes his health very seriously, and it shows. I think he will continue to age very gracefully due the work he puts in on that front. But... he is now at the age where you have to start worrying about decline, and for goaltenders that comes quite rapidly.

With the flattened cap, and considering how he played his first three years here, the contract is awful. There's no way around that, at all. That's not a reflection on Bobrovsky the player or the person. I like Bob a lot for helping out arena workers during the COVID bullshit, and as I said, I think he's the best starting goaltender in the NHL right now. But the contract was inescapably destined to be bad.

The best thing I can say about the contract is that he is playing so well right now that the Panthers will probably be able to trade him without retaining any salary. Is that something that I personally want to see happen? No, no it's not. But I think it remains a likely scenario due to the unfortunate realities of the salary cap.

The Panthers, playing the best team defense in the league with this roster and coaching staff, don't need elite goaltending, but they do need clutch playoff scoring. This is a dilemma that is going to break some hearts.

I stand by all of this, but the Panthers just won the Cup and Bob was great in 4 games in the Finals, so I'm gonna go ahead and say, I feel pretty good about the contract.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
bobrovsky.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 305Pantera

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I really don’t think Bob gets moved until 2025 off-season. We’re still in our window and Bob gives us the best chance to win right now. Bring Knight up next season and see if he’s the successor to Bob while Bob is still here.

Reactions: VIMMM and MaWa

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I really don’t think Bob gets moved until 2025 off-season. We’re still in our window and Bob gives us the best chance to win right now. Bring Knight up next season and see if he’s the successor to Bob while Bob is still here.

This is what I've thought too. They'll give Knight next year a chance to take the job and if he can show he's ready and healthy, 2025 is the off season to move Bob or he might just retire at that point anyway. It's too early to hand the keys to Knight even though he had a healthy year.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Definitely ok with it now! He was booty the first couple seasons, I swear he had a lingering injury or maybe it was the pressure of living up to that contract? Either way it doesn't matter now, he got us over the finish line and stole a few games while doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad