Pre-Game Talk: 2024-25 Season Predictions Pole

How many points do the Oilers finish with?

• 95-99 4th in Division

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90-94 Out of Playoffs

• Less than 89 Fire Everyone

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Preseason is over thank God. The team has struggled to put it together over 8 meaningless games and only 12 weeks removed from a crushing defeat in Game 7 of the Finals.

The second line can’t seem to find any chemistry. Third line appears to be a 4th line (which is what I suspected it might be). 4th line has Philp who’s been a bright spot. Defence is noticeably weaker. Goaltending seems ok. PP can’t find much rhythm.

But preseason is preseason. I am on record thinking the team is noticeably slower and that RD is a Grand Canyon sized hole. But the team today won’t be the team 4.5 months from now.

So how do they do? I’ve made the pole both in terms of finish and relative points it would probably be to finish with that many points.

I think they will finish 2nd in the division ready for a hopefully long playoff run.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Honestly don’t really care about how many points we get or where we finish, just that by the end of the year our key guys are healthy, that Kane is back to his usual self, we have addressed our lineup needs at the TDL, and that we are peaking at the right time. And even with that, if we are firing on all cylinders, even as favourites our odds are still around 12% or so that we win the cup, just shows how competitive the league is now. Should be another fun year.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Team won't finish as high as a lot of people think I'm afraid. Defense is worse than last year, Kane being out will hurt, and I fully expect us to stumble right out of the gate as usual though not as bad as last year.

I doubt we're winning a conference let alone a division. The good news however is that there might be an opportunity to make a big splash at the deadline to fix our defense. Hopefully that would be enough to put us high enough in the standings to get a lot of home ice advantage for another long playoff run.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Preseason is over, roster is more or less set

Line are in flux but they could look like this

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Leon-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Podkolzin-Ryan-Perry

D
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Emberson
Kulak-Stretcher-Dermott

G
S.Skinner
Pickard

I am going in with a postive attitude but I do have concerns. Speed and toughness. With Kane out till maybe March?

But I think having Henrick for the full year will settle down the 3rd line and Arvidsson and Jeff Skinner adds more fire power--if they say healthy

While I have concerns overall I am in a positive mind set

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How many points / finish will they wind up with?

Reactions: Senor Catface

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I don't doubt that they'll be a good team, but I'd like to see a GAA below 2.5 and I'm not sure this is the group to do it.

Reactions: russ99

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Learned from last season. Temper expectations, one game at a time. Not thinking about game 83 or even game 2. Winnipeg in a few, and just like the players, that's all Im thinking about

So many new faces, its going to take time before they all start connecting into a synchronized tune.

My only concern is goaltending. Skinner is unpredictable, and we don't have any NHL ready goalies in the pipeline. Its the most important position, and I hope to god Stuart Skinner has evolved from that run

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Very nervous.
Defence is concerning. Nowhere near as good as last year.
Older and slower up front could be an issue as well.
So far, on paper, I don't think they are as good as where they ended last season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
A bit nervous because my expectations are so high.

If we start off strong and hover around the division lead all season I'll have expected it. There's almost nothing they could do that would exceed my expectations.

If we don't, I'll be disappointed.

I'm excited to see how Arvidsson and J. Skinner perform and if Emberson can be a top-4. I'm terrified if we run into significant injuries.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We will be great. The one question mark to me is Emberson but he is defense-first, which is the smart style to go for a place holder.

I'm not concerned about the poor preseason performances of the vets. Skinner, Henrique etc will be fine

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I said last year, we could make a run at it if our goaltending held out. This year, it's goaltending and defense. Less optimistic about this season, but you never know.

The one player I'm already assuming will be a let down is Jeff Skinner, but I very much hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: Aerchon

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I said last year, we could make a run at it if our goaltending held out. This year, it's goaltending and defense. Less optimistic about this season, but you never know.

The one player I'm already assuming will be a let down is Jeff Skinner, but I very much hope he proves me wrong.

Not to nitpick, but were more you confident in this group's defense corps at the beginning of last season? I can't say that I was

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Not to nitpick, but were more you confident in this group's defense corps at the beginning of last season? I can't say that I was
Than I am this year? 100%
But, the emergence of Bouchard after the Barrie trade and obviously the return of Ekholm for his first full season within that trade, I was excited to see what our D would look like, yes.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
emberson will be good, we got our young guy playing top 4. Skinner will be his usual meh self, but it should be enough. McDavid has another Hart and Ross in him. The concern is the bottom 6, they don't scream excellent, but who knows what it looks like later in the year.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Emberson needs to break out, big time. That's my thoughts on this season.

The bottom 4 looks woof. Last year I said if we went out and signed a bunch of forwards I would quit, but during the offseason it seemed OK for some reason. Reality is setting in.
The one question mark to me is Emberson but he is defense-first, which is the smart style to go for a place holder.

Sure, but that means Nurse has the puck! Emberson could be best-in-class-defense-first guy, and Nurse will still sail waist high outlet passes down the rink, and skate into danger, all season long.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I feel the Oilers success last year was a bit lucky. I think the team succeeded in spite of management rather than because of it. That trend will have to continue for another successful season.

Which... I don't see happening. Every year moving forward will be tougher to manage the cap and our management is terrible at doing so.

Losing so many great young players from last year is going to be on full display.

Arvidson is the only new face I am excited for.

Skinner... is likely a net loss due to slow and terrible 2 way.

No Desharnais, McLeod, Holloway. Some potential for Broberg gone. Lavoie likely gone. And Ceci is very hard to replace at his cap hit.

Henrique, a solid player but old... Perry... Brown...

To my mind a much worse team and that last team struggled hard out of the gate...

The Oilers "need" a good start this year. "Need" chemistry. Need a lot to go right just to get where they were.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I feel the Oilers success last year was a bit lucky. I think the team succeeded in spite of management rather than because of it. That trend will have to continue for another successful season.

Which... I don't see happening. Every year moving forward will be tougher to manage the cap and our management is terrible at doing so.

Losing so many great young players from last year is going to be on full display.

No Desharnais, McLeod, Holloway. Some potential for Broberg gone. Lavoie likely gone. And Ceci is very hard to replace at his cap hit.

To my mind a much worse team and that last team struggled hard out of the gate...

The Oilers "need" a good start this year. "Need" chemistry. Need a lot to go right just to get where they were.

Much worse by losing some inconsistent players and a mediocre d man in Ceci

You may also recall that while they struggled to start, they were absolutely dominant most of the rest of the season and got to game 7 of the finals

This place is depressing with so many posters seemingly hoping for the worst just so their insecurities about the team can be proven correct

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Than I am this year? 100%
But, the emergence of Bouchard after the Barrie trade and obviously the return of Ekholm for his first full season within that trade, I was excited to see what our D would look like, yes.

Don’t really understand how that makes you more confident last year if it was about potential. I guess excitement regarding the top pair (now known to be good).

If that’s what we’re measuring it on, one could say they might be excited to see Nurse having a potentially better d man next to him than a known mediocre d man in Ceci.

I just don’t see how losing Ceci and Desharnais (Broberg was not notable until his hot run in the playoffs) for Emberson and Stecher / Dermott makes one down on the D corps

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They should score more than enough goals.

That defense is cause for concern though. One injury to the top 4 could spell disaster. I also hope they don't overplay Skinner and periodically give him needed rest.

They're the best team in the division... if they want to be. Best team in the conference? Tough to say. Dallas and Colorado are right there with them and Vegas or Vancouver could always surprise.

It's an extremely long and tiring road to get back to where they were last year. They pulled out of their early tailspin last year but I do hope they're emphasizing a good start to the season this year and leave their rivals firmly in the dust.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Much worse by losing some inconsistent players and a mediocre d man in Ceci

You may also recall that while they struggled to start, they were absolutely dominant most of the rest of the season and got to game 7 of the finals

This place is depressing with so many posters seemingly hoping for the worst just so their insecurities about the team can be proven correct

Seems like a logic inconsistency. Somehow Ceci is mediocre (and i can only assume you think even less of VD and Broberg but I digress), but also a top 4 defender for a team that was absolutely dominant.

we're gonna miss these guys, maybe forever based on how much this team struggled to accrue defensively competent dmen for decades. But if we can make that big RD add somehow, im in.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Always exited about a new season.

As far as expectations, I’ll see where the team is at in 10 games personally

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

"So many great players". Ceci, Desharnais, Broberg, McLeod, Foegele, Holloway.
I don't know, my definition of "great" seems far different than yours.

My feelings going into the season? That a certain portion of HFOil is absurdly in panic mode.

The reality is that the team might take a few lumps as they work in some of the new faces but this will, once again, be an elite team once they sort things out and will be even stronger come the deadline. I'll predict that the doomsdayers will have their say at times in the first half then predictably go quiet as the Oilers are humming going into the playoffs and go on another long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad