How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Disappointing the organization wants anything to do with him.

Yeah, why would they want a Stanley Cup champion, a 1000+ NHL games played guy, NHL captain for multiple teams, Olympian, and Olympic team captain to have a role in player development?

:sarcasm:

I'm guessing that he will help work with players in Rochester while they are in town during the week.

It's the perfect part time job for a dad with young kids.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Gionta headed a toxic locker room that is still impacting the organization, carried water for a pair of terrible coaching staffs against the kids and in exchange for playing time, and screwed the team at the deadline only to go play for the Bruins the next season.

He’s been complete garbage in every other role here and has demonstrated no loyalty to the organization. I don’t want to give that bum another stepping stone.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Gionta headed a toxic locker room that is still impacting the organization, carried water for a pair of terrible coaching staffs against the kids and in exchange for playing time, and screwed the team at the deadline only to go play for the Bruins the next season.

He’s been complete garbage in every other role here and has demonstrated no loyalty to the organization. I don’t want to give that bum another stepping stone.

I'm amused that you are calling someone else "toxic".

Of all of the many wrong "hot takes" on here, this is one of the worst. I'll just touch on one.

Last year, Gionta skated with the Amerks. He was staying in shape for the Olympics, but by every single report and from quotes from coaches and players he was an invaluable mentor and coach on and off the ice for our young players there. Coincidentally, the Amerks had one of their best seasons in years.

He did sign with the Bruins after the Olympics, but the Sabres didn't offer him a playing contract last year.

This summer, he was a coach for young guys during the Prospects camp.

Some people are bums in every sense but the bum here isn't Gionta.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Isn’t carrying water for 2 coaches a form of organizational loyalty?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I agree that Gionta might have not helped create a good environment for the young guys but that is 1) speculation 2) an absurd reason for the organization to distance itself from him....

This is a new low

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

WTF? Wow .........double wow. :huh:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Congrats Brian on a stellar NHL career, including two captaincies, a Stanley Cup, a 48 goal season and a heart and soul guy. Gionta came to the Sabres at a time when the team was in turmoil and was used as a cap filler. He never saw any light and to be honest, those who call him part of the problem, I disagree.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Gionta was a class act all the way. Seeing his former Devils, Canadiens, and Sabres teammates at his press conference today speaks volumes. Guy is 5'7" and won a National Championship with BC, a Stanley Cup with NJ, played in two Olympics, and captained the Canadiens and Sabres. Plus he's a WNY guy who played for the Niagara Scenics and grew up loving the Sabres. Played over 1000 games in the NHL when with his size he said he'd be happy to just play one. Good luck to Gio!

Yerdon: Brian Gionta ends his NHL career with the same...

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
EDIT: No reason to go there.

Congrats to Gio. While his tenure as a Sabre was far from a high point in his long and fruitful career, I'm glad he's still with the organization and sticking with WNY and close to home. Everything I've read/seen, he's a class act.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
Chad Ruhwedel is now playing for Pittsburgh.

He was on the ice for 16:26 for the Pens tonight against Calgary, and managed to put up a -1 in a game where Pittsburgh won 9 - 1. And had 0 points.

That is tough to do.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Not sure if posted

Anyone catch the documentary about Hodgson? Wonder if that was his problem or if he just sucked.
Ex-Canuck Cody Hodgson releasing documentary about genetic disorder that ended his NHL career

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Always had a soft spot for the dude- I remember him clearly being the best guy on the ice for the Amerks in the games I saw, but then it just never translated (fully) to the NHL. Happens sometimes, but with him it never seemed like it was a lack of talent or effort, it just wasn't happening for some reason. This.. would definitely help explain that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad